Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 05:18:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Employee of Beijing company stole 100 BTC from his employer  (Read 106 times)
Nikola282828 (OP)

Activity: 219
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:57:27 AM

A Beijing company employee was arrested after allegedly discovering a failed attempt to hack into his organization and taking advantage of the situation to steal bitcoins from his employer. The name of the company is not specified. 90 per cent of the funds were eventually returned, but he could still be sentenced to up to 7 years in prison.

Jun Mo (Zhong Mo) allegedly stole 100 BTC from his employer. Beijing Haidian district police recently confirmed his arrest. The accused was an operation and maintenance engineer. It is alleged that during the regular maintenance of the company's server, he found that someone tried to steal cryptocurrency by hacking, but failed.

After Troubleshooting, the engineer took advantage of the administrator's access to log on to the server and inserted a code fragment of a hacker to transfer 100 bitcoins from the company's storage to his own wallet registered outside of China. He also tried to erase the traces of his actions in order to avoid persecution.

Having lost 10 BTC on a phishing site, the hapless thief apparently got cold feet and returned the remaining 90 bitcoins to the company. According to the exchange rate at that time – September 16, 2017, the cost of coins was about 380 000 dollars. Local media claim that this is the first case of bitcoin theft investigated by the Beijing police.

The Prosecutor in this case stated that under the Chinese Criminal code, the accused may be sentenced to up to three years ' imprisonment, but if serious details of the case emerge, he may receive up to seven years in prison, as well as a fine.

Source bitfeed.ru
Step NOY

Activity: 136
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 06:43:10 AM

7 years for 100 bitcoins? I agree give me 100 bitcoins and I will sit down for 7 years without thinking. But then I'll go out and be a millionaire.
Seetheummerallyeah

Activity: 280
Merit: 41

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 06:45:33 AM

7 years for 100 bitcoins? I agree give me 100 bitcoins and I will sit down for 7 years without thinking. But then I'll go out and be a millionaire.

That's not how it works. When you get caught committing a criminal act, you have to pay civil damages as well. So you would go to prison for 7 years AND have to find a way to return whatever you stole.
sourish

Activity: 532
Merit: 114

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 08:23:54 AM

From what i understand here, he was not caught but got cold feet and returned the coins himself. So is liable to a fine to that extent and requisite imprisonment. What i really need to ask here is what is this thread about, his punishment, which i doubt, or an awareness of such possibilities!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: