Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:39:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6870s locking up pretty regularly, anyone else?  (Read 1198 times)
marvinmartian (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 06:29:10 PM

I have a bunch of machines, a mixture of 5770s, 5830s, 5870s, 6870s and 6950s.  Basically, I wanted to see first hand what these cards had to offer in terms of price, kw/h, and mh/s.

Two (out of five) of my 6870s lock up almost every day.  I have scripts running that keep their temps set to 72C max.  Similarly, they never run more than 97% of max core clock (970/1000) or mem cock (1212/1250). 

They seem perfectly happy running like this for hours and hours.  But for reasons I can't seem to pin down, they lock up.  I've taken to setting them to even lower params at night (peak temp of 69C and max clock of 90%.  That seems to work.  But I don't like leaving them set that low all day long.  They're not working to their fullest potential then.

Is there something up with the 6870s?  I'm not very happy with the cards to be honest.  I hate it when they freeze up and I can't get home to restart them.  The lockup is of such a nature that the entire machine locks up.  Can't ssh.  Cron doesn't reboot the machine either.

Upon manual restart, however, the cards are fine once again for hours and hours.

I guess I need to start dialing back to 96% down through to 90% and see where the happy "high" medium is.  But the odd things is, it's only two of my cards out of five.  The other three sit in adjacent locations on my server shelf.  So why do these two lock up so much and not the others.  The machines are also identical in every other way.

Either way, a big -1 for the 6870s here.

"... and the geeks shall inherit the earth."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cicada

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 06:32:21 PM

These two rogue cards are in the same machine?  If so, might not be the cards.. tried swapping them into another rig?

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
marvinmartian (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 06:57:56 PM

These two rogue cards are in the same machine?  If so, might not be the cards.. tried swapping them into another rig?

Nope, I'm mainly a one-card-per-machine shop at the moment.  Seems odd that it would be the machines since it's two of them.  Then again, I guess stranger things have happened.

bmgjet

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 09:18:46 PM

What size PSU are you using.
Also do you have any power saving features enabled.

Donations to: 1BMGjetfht9XLkGBYR4TSsuXjrYEKACcow
1stbits: 1bmgjet
300MHash/s 6850 http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/5u6wr/
Overclocked for 6 years and still strong http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1931458 & http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=285337
marvinmartian (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 09:30:32 PM

What size PSU are you using.
Also do you have any power saving features enabled.

CoolerMaster 550s on all the machines.  No power saving.  Linux box with 11.6 ATI driver and 2.6 OpenCL.

fitty

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 10:27:35 PM

I have a bunch of machines, a mixture of 5770s, 5830s, 5870s, 6870s and 6950s.  Basically, I wanted to see first hand what these cards had to offer in terms of price, kw/h, and mh/s.

Two (out of five) of my 6870s lock up almost every day.  I have scripts running that keep their temps set to 72C max.  Similarly, they never run more than 97% of max core clock (970/1000) or mem cock (1212/1250). 

They seem perfectly happy running like this for hours and hours.  But for reasons I can't seem to pin down, they lock up.  I've taken to setting them to even lower params at night (peak temp of 69C and max clock of 90%.  That seems to work.  But I don't like leaving them set that low all day long.  They're not working to their fullest potential then.

Is there something up with the 6870s?  I'm not very happy with the cards to be honest.  I hate it when they freeze up and I can't get home to restart them.  The lockup is of such a nature that the entire machine locks up.  Can't ssh.  Cron doesn't reboot the machine either.

Upon manual restart, however, the cards are fine once again for hours and hours.

I guess I need to start dialing back to 96% down through to 90% and see where the happy "high" medium is.  But the odd things is, it's only two of my cards out of five.  The other three sit in adjacent locations on my server shelf.  So why do these two lock up so much and not the others.  The machines are also identical in every other way.

Either way, a big -1 for the 6870s here.

Run them at 950/330. You should have no problems now.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
marvinmartian (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:18:40 AM

I don't have an easy way to get them down to 330.  The Linux catalyst driver doesn't let you.   I have had limited success with glakkeclock.  So I'll try that.  Thanks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: