Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:09:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Bitcoins stolen...  (Read 1616 times)
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:12:49 PM

1st security issue is that you're running windows

Problem solved!  Cool
corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:23:19 PM

Sorry to hear that.

I consider Windows and binary blobs to be a major security risk by design, its literally a 30 GB wormhole, hence I always advice people to stick to Linux and open source.

That said, the most likely reason is the most obvious one, like someone with access to your PC. Or spyware of some sort
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:29:11 PM

1st security issue is that you're running windows

Problem solved!  Cool

Or not.  The largest thefts and hacks in Bitcoin history all involved linux based systems.   Security goes way beyond the choice of operating system.  

Still I find the scenario and choice of username suspect.
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:30:45 PM

Cool story bro, tell it again.

So these coins were supposedly lost back in September?

You haven't looked at them since April?

What's with the micro transaction in October?

To me, it seems you are forgetting part of the story. Especially if the wallet was encrypted.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Linuxxl (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 06:59:43 PM

As far as I know a key logger can't be the problem, because I used the Two-channel auto-type obfuscation that KeePass offers. http://keepass.info/help/v2/autotype_obfuscation.html
An inside could be, but is very unlikely. The people who knew about my bitcoins never were near my computer or server unguarded.

@wtfvanity
that was the remaining amount of bitcoins left in my wallet. I wanted to send them to my Mt.Gox account. But in a hurry I forgot they used one address per transaction so I never received it.
No I don't often check my balance, since I assumed it was safe. And I'm not a active BTC user, it was just a savings account.

As far as I am aware of, I'm the only person with access to my server. I download my torrents from a private tracker and I never said a word about bitcoins in that community.
My nickname is about 9 years old. I was a fat kid and walked like a penguin (my friends thought so). Thus the nickname Linuxxl. I never used Linux until last month, for creating a bootable USB stick to store my new wallet.

I understand your scepticism but I can assure you I'm not trolling or whatever. If you have doubts about my story feel free to ask any questions. Preferably before you start judging.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:13:21 PM

that was the remaining amount of bitcoins left in my wallet. I wanted to send them to my Mt.Gox account. But in a hurry I forgot they used one address per transaction so I never received it.

That is incorrect.  Old addresses can still be used.  Many people use them everyday. MtGox adds coins received at any one of you addresses to your account balance.
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:29:06 PM

@wtfvanity

So you moved the rest of the coins out, a month ago. But are just posting the story today? Continues to be a great story, start it again from the top. It gets better with each addition.

.      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
MassDivide

Activity: 27

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 07:31:27 PM

Man that is terrible, I think i'd break down over it. Thats like 3 grand gone. I hope you find them or get a break from someone!
Linuxxl (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:34:17 PM

I was in doubt if I should share my story. Since I get the part where I will never see those coins back again.
And I thought perhaps I'm painting a nice big bullseye on my newly created wallet... You see?
But then I thought I should post my story so that others could learn about it. And I would like to make sure this won't happen again, or to anyone else.

So yes, it took me a while to decide if I would post it or not. What seems so unrealistic to you then?

And for those who sympathise, thank you, I appreciate your comments.
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:54:41 PM

I was in doubt if I should share my story. Since I get the part where I will never see those coins back again.
And I thought perhaps I'm painting a nice big bullseye on my newly created wallet... You see?
But then I thought I should post my story so that others could learn about it. And I would like to make sure this won't happen again, or to anyone else.

So yes, it took me a while to decide if I would post it or not. What seems so unrealistic to you then?

And for those who sympathise, thank you, I appreciate your comments.

Why didn't the hacker take all your coins? Why would he leave you with $50?

Linuxxl (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:04:51 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2013, 08:22:54 PM by Linuxxl

I don't know why he left me anything. Not a clue.

@DeathAndTaxes
You were right, I found the coins in my Mt.Gox account.

Why does my bitcoin-qt client state that I only transfered -0.0003008 while I received 0.14901709 BTC in my Mt.Gox account?

Ad-Aware didn't find anything btw...
TakeItBreezy

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:42:30 PM

Damn bro, that really sucks, I would hate to login and see my bitcoins gone.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: