Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:31:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Phone Call From Dwolla  (Read 3639 times)
Takkun (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:30:28 PM

Someone from Dwolla just called me asking to verify my name and address.
Anyone else get a call? Think it has to do with the reversed transactions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:33:43 PM

No call so far.  Be careful for phishers.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
jostmey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 07:38:03 PM

I think what has happend is that a few people were using Dwolla/Bitcoin to steal money.

These thieves would steal someone's bank account information, sign up for Dwolla, and then drain the account into bitcoin. Once the thieves had converted the stolen money into bitcoin the transactions could not be undone.

Dwolla is probably desperately trying to verify new accounts, to make sure that the account owners are aware that their bank account is linked to Dwolla. It seems like a futile effort.

And yes, I received a phone call from them several weeks ago. I think they are calling everyone. But be wary of scams !

Search Bitcoin
Discover the bitcoin economy
AtlasONo

Activity: 551

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:43:13 PM

Email I got after I complained about a slow withdraw.

"I can see a note on the account that Dwolla representatives attempted to contact you via phone to verify some account information to release the pending withdrawal. "

Seems like this info is needed to finalize large transactions.

http://help.dwolla.com/customer/portal/articles/95650-i-received-a-voicemail-from-dwolla-to-verify-something-was-this-real-

If you search hard enough you will find posts about them calling people to verify accounts since the beginning

It dosen't have to do with reversed transactions.
Johnny Pizza

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:27:15 PM

Dwolla is in Africa right? Yeah, watch out for these kinds of scams they are very common.
SteveFL

Activity: 33

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:31:42 PM

I actually posted this in the TH thread about Dwolla but will repeat here since it is relevant.

I got one.. same questions.  I told the caller I couldn't verify their identity so they suggested I call back using the number on the site later.

I didn't ask If I refused what would happen to my account.  Never done any deposits to them and only used for payouts from TH and Gox.

Edit:  Number was from 515-422-xxxx which someone verified as in the same area as their office.
Edit2: My total volume with them has been < $500
Keyur @ Camp BX

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 08:32:13 PM

Dwolla are probably scanning for hacked accounts.  We have been pushing Dwolla to be more proactive about this since we caught a couple of them trying to trade on Camp BX.

Thank you,
      - Keyur

Please stay tuned to our news and announcements feeds at:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CampBX
Facebook: https://facebook.com/CampBX
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:34:11 PM

I got a call several weeks ago when I was withdrawing $1200 to my bank account through them.  It's probably the whole "Know your customer" act/law/thing.  I believe they have to confirm the identity of anyone moving funds in amounts over $1000.
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 12:17:09 AM

Dwolla is in Africa right? Yeah, watch out for these kinds of scams they are very common.
Yep, Dwolla is based in Africa....*facepalm* /sarcasm
ErgoOne

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 01:14:16 AM

Dwolla appears to be based somewhere near Des Moines, Iowa.  Their phone number is in the 515 area code.  When I called it (after hours), I got their voice mail, which indicates that they are open between 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM "Central Time zone".  Jordan Lampe, their "Director of Communications", has a Twitter account that lists him as being in Des Moines, Iowa.  HOWEVER, their domain (dwolla.com) is registered through Domains by Proxy, GoDaddy's Whois Privacy service, which means that there is no way to verify a postal address or actual location for the domain doing business as Dwolla.  And with VOIP, phones in any area code can point to any phone in the world.  Although I think it's unlikely that they are not located in the U.S., they could theoretically be anywhere.  That's *really* cheesy for a financial company or any company that wants to build trust.  Sad

I've been using Dwolla.  The whole Bitcoin economy is new, so I'm careful.  Nobody can drain an important bank account of significant sums through it because I opened a separate bank account to use with it and other Bitcoin-related businesses, and keep very little money in it.  I highly recommend that others take the same precaution, even if you end up paying a fee for use of the account.  You should NOT risk more money than you can afford to loose on Bitcoin til it has matured significantly.
ErgoOne

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 01:16:02 AM

So far, I've received no phone calls from Dwolla.  If I did, I would not verify any information except for my name, would hang up, and then would call them back on their published phone number on their web site and ask for the person who called me.  After reconnecting that way, *then* I would verify my account information.  Remember, you do not know who is calling you when somebody calls you unless you know them and can recognize their voice.
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 01:31:10 AM

Watch Episodes:   28 and 31

.....about the whole Dwolla situation.

The Bitcoin Show

http://onlyonetv.com/category/topics/bitcoin/
Kermee

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 01:48:59 AM

I've had Dwolla call my GV #.  I assumed it was 99.9% legit because the return # they told me to call them back at was the same 515.280.1000 # on their website.

Cheers,
Kermee
ErgoOne

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 01:59:30 AM

Kermee -- did you call Dwolla back, however?  If you did, cool.  If not, you accepted as verification a bit of information that anybody could have found by looking at their web site.  In other words, it verified nothing at all.  You're probably still okay, but it pays to be a bit paranoid about financial matters. :-)
Kermee

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 02:10:06 AM

Kermee -- did you call Dwolla back, however?  If you did, cool.  If not, you accepted as verification a bit of information that anybody could have found by looking at their web site.  In other words, it verified nothing at all.  You're probably still okay, but it pays to be a bit paranoid about financial matters. :-)

Sorry. I should of been clearer.

They left a VM saying to call them back, so yes, I called them back.  The call-back # was the same as the phone # on their site.  I assumed it was for verification purposes only. -- Worst case scenario is they know my 'Billing' PO Box address now which is what I have on my Dwolla account. Wink

Cheers,
Kermee
ErgoOne

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 02:13:22 AM

Ah.  Then you did call them back on a known-good phone number.  That's cool -- you did the right thing.

I hope other people who get calls from Dwolla (or their bank or credit card accounts) do the same.  Unfortunately phishers and others involved in financial fraud don't just send fake emails from your bank these days.  They also make phone calls.  So, unless you can verify the voice of the person who called you, best to call them back, and *ALWAYS* obtain the call back number from public information.  Don't just call the number that they give you.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 02:27:11 AM

Dwolla appears to be based somewhere near Des Moines, Iowa. 
They're in a hacker space, Foundry Coworking, at 1312 Locust St, Des Moines, Iowa. So says the Iowa state corporation registry. If there's a problem, that's where you send the process server or collection agency.

Bitcoin oriented companies remain rather low-rent. Dwolla is in a low-cost hacker space. Mt. Gox used to be Magic, the Gathering Online Exchange. "Global Standard Bank" put up fake pictures of their supposed premises and got caught. Of the ones outside major countries, Tradehill is in Chile, and Liberty Reserve is in Costa Rica. All these outfits have potential liabilities in 7 figures if they screw up, and no indication that they have the financial strength to deal with them.
ErgoOne

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 02:31:55 AM

Agreed.  None of the financial firms operating in Bitcoin space has much cushion if they screw up.  You could sue them if they cost you a ton of money, but there would likely be nothing to collect, just a bankruptcy.  That's why people shouldn't put more into this than they can afford to loose.  It's a risk.  IMHO taking risks is part of life, however; the trick is to think first and choose your risks intelligently.
Big Time Coin

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 02:55:48 AM

I have refused to answer any questions to "confirm my identity" on the phone.  They invited me to call their COO.  Hah! The COO wants to deal with a $2 total fees account personally?  I refused to have any verbal contact or to give them any information that they did not already have.  I demanded all communication be in writing.

Because I don't trust dwolla since I read about them trying to scam tradehill.

They responded by "freezing" my "pending" transactions.  Their site said I had "0 pending" transactions.  But the last ACH withdrawal made 3 days before the phone call has yet to be credited to my bank account.  Anyway, I will give it a few more business days, then try written correspondence, then seek civil and criminal penalties.  I figure it will be worth it since I can get costs and if I'm lucky treble damages, punitive damages, or restitution.  It would be a class action if they are doing this to lots of people.

This from a company that has moved less than $10k dollars for me and has taken less than $2 in fees from me.  They already lost all their profit on me after the first phone call required a follow-up email.  And they want to play hardball without so much as a professional written correspondence.  Pfft, I'm done with them. 

I don't trust dwolla.  I'm guessing it's run by a handful of kids with little business or legal experience trying to play bigshot and not realizing the civil and criminal trouble they are walking into.  Blindly walking to their own doom, arrogant and foolish.

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3052

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 03:13:50 AM

They responded by "freezing" my "pending" transactions.  Their site said I had "0 pending" transactions.  But the last ACH withdrawal made 3 days before the phone call has yet to be credited to my bank account.  Anyway, I will give it a few more business days, then try written correspondence, then seek civil and criminal penalties.  I figure it will be worth it since I can get costs and if I'm lucky treble damages, punitive damages, or restitution.  It would be a class action if they are doing this to lots of people.

Class actions only benefit the lawyers.  Usually the plaintiffs get pennies on the dollar.  A series of individual small lawsuits would do a lot more damage to them.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: