Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:14:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safest way to login to web wallet?  (Read 155 times)
Sasfsafd (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 11:59:28 AM

Hi. I know desktop wallets are safer but I have a question regarding a web wallet. What is the safest way possible of logging in. Please can you rank these in order of safest to least safest. I see four ways of potentially logging in:

1. HTTPS address + Tor browser + Onion address
2. None HTTPS + Tor browser + onion address
3. HTTPS address + Standard browser + Clearnet link
4. HTTPS address + Tor browser + clearnet link

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exul

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 08:46:17 PM

Thanks a lot buddy, i was also wanted to know the Safest way to login to web wallet. Your post is very helpful for people like me who are looking for this answer. Thanks a lot.
Seetheummerallyeah

Activity: 280
Merit: 41

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 08:51:03 PM
Merited by suchmoon (1)

Hi. I know desktop wallets are safer but I have a question regarding a web wallet. What is the safest way possible of logging in. Please can you rank these in order of safest to least safest. I see four ways of potentially logging in:

HTTPS is a must. Without it your password/other info would be visible in clear text. You shouldn't have to use Tor/Onion, as you aren't trying to hide which site you are visiting. The most important thing when accessing web wallets is:

1) Make sure you aren't on a phishing site. Always check the address of the website and never use a google search to get to it. I recommend bookmarking the website to avoid phishing links.
2) Ensure your computer is clear of malware. If infected, hackers can install a keylogger which can easily reveal all your passwords.
3) Always enable 2 Factor Authentication. This will GREATLY increase your account security, as the hacker would need both your password AND your phone, something that is extremely unlikely.

At the end of the day you shouldn't be storing too much on web wallets. Anything of significant value should go into a hardware wallet. However if you enable 2FA and avoid phishing sites you are most likely safe from any hacks.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 09:20:57 PM

I don't understand why TOR is part of your choices. What are the risks that you are trying to avoid? Perhaps you could list them.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
trollercoaster
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 09:41:20 PM

Well, web wallets gotta be secure indeed, a safe way would be using a hardware wallet from a secured computer, using only known links would be safe enough, I don't see the need for Tor...
Jombitt

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 11:15:21 PM

Using a tor browser is not necessary for log in your web wallet, that will not make more secure to your wallet. Always check your pc everytime if they are malware free. Always check if it is a phising link you are going to visit, better to bookmark in your browser the legit web wallet so that you will only need to click the legit one and activate your 2fa aunthenticator.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: