Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:07:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Way to Purchase and Secure $100,000+ of BTC?  (Read 1741 times)
AgeraS (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:46:20 PM

I am going to purchase $100,000+ of BTC and would like to know what you think is the best way accomplish this matter. I have bought 100+ coins in the past so I am familiar with wiring to exchanges and I have also looked into Second Market, but their fees are higher than going through an exchange.

Additionally, what is the best way to long-term store this amount of coins? Would it be a bad idea to keep the coins on an exchange(s) and wait a few months for a Trezor? Should I just create paper wallets and dog tags and etch in the private key?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:57:53 PM

Additionally, what is the best way to long-term store this amount of coins? Would it be a bad idea to keep the coins on an exchange(s) and wait a few months for a Trezor? Should I just create paper wallets and dog tags and etch in the private key?

Download VanityGen.  Unplug your computer from the internet.  Create an address and private key.  Convert output of VanityGen into an analogue form - do not put on your clipboard!!!  Best way to do this is take a screenshot or photograph of it.  Print the screenshot with the signing key.  Smash the computer with a very large hammer.  Put a drill through the hard drive and set it on fire.  Put the printout into your safe at home.  

Sent lots of bitcoin to the address made by vanitygen.  

Safest way.  

AgeraS (OP)

Activity: 83

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:17:49 PM

Download VanityGen.  

Is this the correct version of VanityGen?
https://github.com/samr7/vanitygen/releases
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:19:31 PM

I am going to purchase $100,000+ of BTC and would like to know what you think is the best way accomplish this matter. I have bought 100+ coins in the past so I am familiar with wiring to exchanges and I have also looked into Second Market, but their fees are higher than going through an exchange.

Buy a computer, keep it disconnected from any and all networks, wipe the hard disk and install a fresh OS, install Armory in offline mode, and send any bitcoins you buy to the addresses you generate on your offline computer.  You'll want to encrypt your Armory wallets on the offline computer and make paper backups.  If you want more help with this, PM me and I'll walk you through it. 

Offline Armory is by far the easiest and most robust way to secure bitcoins.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
gamer4156

Activity: 1008
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 12:57:49 AM

With the price doing what it is doing, I assume you want to get this fast? If so make a post, meet someone and do the transaction. With the time for wires to go through who knows what could happen in that 2-5 day period.
CAMTRONNNNN

Activity: 101

7uck7m7th

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 04:42:50 PM

I am in the same exact position. Could be somewhat less, but somewhere in the vicinity of $100Kusd>BTC.

Obviously I agree with the above suggestions.  Is there anything anyone would like to add to the above?

Are there any safe, timely alternatives to the above?

Thank you very much.

Bitcoin student and passionate speaker.
papaminer

Activity: 462

Free World

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 04:45:55 PM

Buy a computer, keep it disconnected from any and all networks, wipe the hard disk and install a fresh OS, install Armory in offline mode, and send any bitcoins you buy to the addresses you generate on your offline computer.  You'll want to encrypt your Armory wallets on the offline computer and make paper backups.  If you want more help with this, PM me and I'll walk you through it. 

ohhhhh PROUDHON IS BACK...

lol

so is proudhon a BTC BELIEVER NOW?

฿: 1L7dSte4Rs4KyyxRCgrqSWYtkXdAb4Gy1z

MORE INFO ABOUT ME: BTC
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:50:53 PM

Get privatekey engraved on some metal coin or something and keep it in a safe place.
You can also encrypt privatekey.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:13:02 AM

Yes

ohhhhh PROUDHON IS BACK...

lol

so is proudhon a BTC BELIEVER NOW?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
philip2000uk

Activity: 276

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 01:23:35 PM

I'd say the last part.  Although I bought 4btc and it's in a wallet.  I should put them on paper but i'm trying to figure out how to do it.  I don't have flash drives...I'm going to buy an HD SD card for my camera, maybe that will work? I don't know.

But if it's worth 10,000 pound next year then i'll buy some flash drives lol...If you have money then you could probably store it digitally too offline somewhere.  I took a photo of a paper wallet i generated on bitaddress which im going to fill up using those free ones from visiting websites

Leather girls identity film2 on youtube and website link i accept bitcoin Smiley
kdrop22

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:19:21 PM

Try Armory Offline Wallets.
Install two wallets
a) Offline only machine: Offline wallet
b) Online watch only wallet: on your primary machine.
Better than paper wallets, incase you need to get to our BTC quickly.
Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:41:08 AM

Best advise  WAIT!

Now is not the time to buy.  Let this bubble cycle complete.  You don't want to try to jump on a moving train.

It could go to 500, 700, who knows... but it won't stay there long.  Wait.  Then buy on the next correction.  Get everything in place ready to buy.  The wait for the correction.  When it comes don't #$^& around.  You'll have only a few hours to make the buy before it rebounds.

BTW litecoin is a much better deal right now then Bitcoin.  
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: