Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:55:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ..........  (Read 2625 times)
Crobbo

July 28, 2011, 08:30:31 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 12:24:33 PM by Crobbo

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bb

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:35:55 PM

The genuine replacement site would spread like nothing through social media.
Jr00t

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:36:56 PM

shutting down or seizing bitcoin.org would not stop the block chain.  that would just shut down the information site.
users would still be able to send/receive bitcoins, meaning that bitcoin.org has no real tie to the bitcoin network.
dikidera

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:37:53 PM

shutting down or seizing bitcoin.org would not stop the block chain.  that would just shut down the information site.
users would still be able to send/receive bitcoins, meaning that bitcoin.org has no real tie to the bitcoin network.
Re-read the question again.
Jr00t

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:40:30 PM

Re-read the question again.

Ha... i am a tool....sorry
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:43:41 PM

I guess what I'm getting at is, is there any plan in place for this type of eventuality?

No, and there doesn't need to be.  Bitcoin.org is irrelevent to bitcoin, so is this forum.  That said, if/when such things start to happen, you might want to download Tor and explore the deep web.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
ttk2

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:45:42 PM

Note: Just a warning, this is my total noob amateur opinion. If I'm wrong, could you please point out where and why so I can learn Smiley.

------------

Something that's crossed my mind is a possible weak point with Bitcoin.

If for whatever reason, governments or other powerful institutions wanted to see Bitcoin fail, all they'd need to do is strong arm ICANN to take down the bitcoin.org domain name (just like they did with Wikileaks). Then there would be massive disruption to the system.

Even if a myriad of mirror sites sprang up, how could the ordinary user know which was legit or not? Especially when downloading the Bitcoin client, anybody could put up a mirror site with some malware infected files.

I guess what I'm getting at is, is there any plan in place for this type of eventuality?

Cheers,
Crobbo

Simple, the devs can distribute a file signed with their private key, then we know the file we receive has not been tampered with and could only have been created by the devs. Combine this with torrents and the client can be distributed without any central site.

Of course if we really had problems hosting it i think Bitcoin.onion would work quite well.  

Just in case i do something worthwhile: 12YXLzbi4hfLaUxyPswRbKW92C6h5KsVnX
Crobbo

July 28, 2011, 08:54:47 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 12:24:53 PM by Crobbo

ttk2

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 09:07:43 PM

Note: Just a warning, this is my total noob amateur opinion. If I'm wrong, could you please point out where and why so I can learn Smiley.

------------

If for whatever reason, governments or other powerful institutions wanted to see Bitcoin fail, all they'd need to do is strong arm ICANN to take down the bitcoin.org domain name (just like they did with Wikileaks). Then there would be massive disruption to the system.

Even if a myriad of mirror sites sprang up, how could the ordinary user know which was legit or not? Especially when downloading the Bitcoin client, anybody could put up a mirror site with some malware infected files.

Cheers,
Crobbo

Simple, the devs can distribute a file signed with their private key, then we know the file we receive has not been tampered with and could only have been created by the devs. Combine this with torrents and the client can be distributed without any central site.

Of course if we really had problems hosting it i think Bitcoin.onion would work quite well.  

That's a great idea! Maybe there should be something ready now as a failsafe?

Good point bb about social media too. How could we stop the inevitable false information getting through too? I think large governments still have the power to influence the likes of facebook and twitter.

I think for Bitcoin to ever succeed in the mainstream, we'll have to simplify things for the general public, because Average Joe will know squat about Tor and maybe even torrents?

Edit: And sorry for being annoying dude Smiley just want to play devils advocate!

If governments are seizing domains and/or creating fake clients, i think they would at least make it illegal first, and Average Joe is a law abiding citizen. If Gov's go after Bitcoin we lose much hope of legitimacy there, and we will just have to take heart in that anyone who wants to will still be able to find the now illegal software.

Crobbo

July 28, 2011, 09:17:25 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 12:25:10 PM by Crobbo

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 09:49:28 PM

There is even a kind of failsafe mechanism already implemented in the client via the alert-key. Even if the main communication channels like bitcoin.org, the forums maybe even IRC would be disrupted - it could serve as a kind of last resort announcement system.
If anything really bad happened, a message could be transmitted to all the standard Bitcoin clients to display a message with instructions of how to proceed.
Of course, a possible adversary having the power to control all the usual ways of communication can probably also severely cripple the communication between the Bitcoin nodes.

Apart from that, the only problem is that AFAIK, only Satoshi has the alert-key Smiley

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
BitVapes

Activity: 140

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 10:35:36 PM

The US tried to shut down internet gambling companies by seizing the domain names and it didn't work, they just moved to .eu domains instead of .com and it was business as usual.   (What did work at shutting them down was freezing the poker site's bank accounts.)

Unfortunately bitcoin.eu is taken, and probably bitcoin.* are all taken.  But if the US gov seizes bitcoin.org I'm sure we will switch to something within 24 hrs and it will back to normal, perhaps with a temporary hit to the BTC/USD exchange rate.  But if history tells us anything, when the US govt. says some commodity is illegal, then you can bet on the prices going up

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
fitty

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 11:53:41 PM

------------

Cheers,
Crobbo

The only weak point here is between your legs. Settle down.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 12:05:54 AM

correct me if i am wrong, but i do not think a bitcoin.onion is possible because onion urls are not chosen, they are just generated just like bitcoin addresses. so it would be random chars, but the devs could sign the url so we would know it was run by them.

ttk2

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 12:09:34 AM

correct me if i am wrong, but i do not think a bitcoin.onion is possible because onion urls are not chosen, they are just generated just like bitcoin addresses. so it would be random chars, but the devs could sign the url so we would know it was run by them.

You are in fact correct. I guess we could register the domain Bitcoin.bit (with namecoins) and then have it point wherever we want.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 12:11:46 AM

You are in fact correct. I guess we could register the domain Bitcoin.bit (with namecoins) and then have it point wherever we want.

Wait, I think you're right.  Can namecoins be used to reference to an onion address?  If so, we just tripped over a major use for namecoins.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 12:18:15 AM

the biggest issue with namecoins is that right now it is fairly difficult to browse with it. as of now i have never successfully used the namecoin chain directly to browse any webpage. the easiest solution is to use one of the dns servers that does the work for you. however out of the box you can not simply type in namecoinaddress.bit and go to that page. that alone would be enough to stop 99% of any users ever getting to that page, unless you specifically linked an ip address. then you would have all kinds of antivirus/firewall warnings.

even .onion urls are enough to stop 99% of anyone ever trying to find that site.

a real solution would be to diversify and make many mirrors now. some on tor, some with namecoin and some on traditional dns. traditional dns sites should try to get high on good page rank for bitcoin searches.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 12:35:33 AM

The weak spot in Bitcoin is the size of the blockchain. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
indio007

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 12:40:22 AM

The internet perceives censorship as damage and routes around it.
ttk2

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 12:49:24 AM

The weak spot in Bitcoin is the size of the blockchain. 

with trimming we only need to store about 30% of the total chain. yes it will get big, but storage sizes will go up with it. 5 years ago 500gb was big, these days 3tb drives are a avalable.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: