Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:32:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EclipseMC reporting inconsistent share contributions?  (Read 6175 times)
optimiz3 (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:45:21 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 08:37:06 PM by optimiz3

EclipseMC has been requesting difficulty ~10 shares, but has been crediting only 1 share per submission in their UI.  This is particularly troubling given they advertise VARDIFF, even though I haven't observed difficulty change notifications beyond the initial one via network traces.

Anyone else observing this?
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 09:32:22 PM

EclipseMC has been requesting difficulty ~10 shares, but has been crediting only 1 share per submission in their UI.  This is particularly troubling given they advertise VARDIFF, even though I haven't observed difficulty change notifications beyond the initial one via network traces.

Anyone else observing this?

i suspect everyone is, in order to make payouts fair, by giving 1 share per 10 difficulty share submission

just a wild stab in the dark though
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 06:44:54 AM

Share display is not consistent throughout EMC.  Some places displays actual shares submitted and some places display 1diff shares submitted.  It's something that I probably need to get taken care of, but since it's only a visual issue, it hasn't been a high priority.  That's the problem with being the first one to implement new things like vardiff... there's no standard and I had to figure it out as I went along.  It's much easier for the pools coming behind to adhere to a standard.

Anyway, I assure you that you are getting full credit for your shares.  Take a look at your payouts, they should reflect your hashrate properly, that would be the real measure. 

Just as an FYI, minimum share difficulty is set at 10 on EMC.  Everyone gets difficulty 10 shares and it goes up from there.  It never drops below 10.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
optimiz3 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:16:37 PM

IMO - it would be best to normalize share contributions to diff=1, as this is what many other major pools do.  Otherwise it is near impossible to compare apples to apples without qualifying the pool and having specific knowledge about each pool.

It's becoming a large enough support issue that I'm inclined to just hide EclipseMC from the list of mining pools in our mining software until this is fixed, as right now we're dealing with angry users asking about share contribution discrepancies.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:33:16 PM

I agree, 1diff as the base share is the way to go. It is on my priority list, I will see what I can do over the next few days.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
optimiz3 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:35:33 PM

Appreciated Inaba, also updated the thread title to be more accurate.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 07:18:59 PM

All share listings should now report diff1 shares instead of actual shares... I think I found everything.  If there's somewhere that's not reporting properly, let me know and I'll get it fixed.

ironfalcon

Activity: 16

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:00:51 PM

MAXINT shares in this round?  Is this just a UI issue or have we stopped submitting shares?

http://imgur.com/B0foAGq
ironfalcon

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:07:47 PM

(the number of shares listed for this round is exactly 2^31-1.)

also I have a 100 GH/s miner split across 3 pools and it says I'm humming at 260 GH/s on eclipse right now?
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 05:18:23 PM

Well, never thought I'd run into that limit, jeez.  Shares are still counted properly - they are processed individually and share count is wiped between batches, so the actual payment mechanism for shares only deals with small numbers of shares.  The round share counter is just a simple ++ counter.

I'll get that fixed shortly.

*EDIT* - Fixed... we shouldn't run into that particular problem again.

ironfalcon

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:10:53 PM

awesome. thanks for investigating Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: