Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:35:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FOUNDERS WANTED: FinTech Self Regulatory Organization (FTSRO)  (Read 321 times)
BenOnceAgain (OP)

Activity: 208
Merit: 84

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 08:45:15 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2018, 11:51:16 PM by BenOnceAgain

Hi All,

I just published the following article to BTRIC's blog on Medium.  I wanted to share it on here in full, as it builds on many ideas I've first described in the pages of this forum and is the result of a good amount of discussion among people I've come to know from here.

https://medium.com/btric/could-reasonable-crypto-asset-regulation-actually-benefit-the-ecosystem-638c27622d3f
Could Reasonable Crypto Asset Regulation Actually Benefit the Ecosystem?
I believe the benefits outweigh the costs. Here’s why.

The purpose of this article is to convince you, the crypto asset community, that, if done properly, the right regulatory structure for crypto assets would be a net benefit for the field. I am currently raising a small amount of funding from people that want to be a part of the formation of one such non-profit Self Regulatory Organization (SRO). I believe the time is now to get going on this, and I am willing to put in the time and effort to organize and launch this organization. However, I can’t do it alone.

In terms of convincing people that regulation could actually be good for them, I know I have my work cut out for me here. This is especially true in the cypherpunk realm of cryptocurrency. No one wants to be regulated. I wholeheartedly agree with this, having seen first-hand the deleterious economic effects of excessive regulation. However, please take a few minutes with an open mind to consider the concept I describe, which is a very different approach to traditional regulation.

The Situation Today

Right now, in 2018, the crypto asset field on a global basis is not in a good place. As a transformative technology that will change the world, crypto assets are earning a bad rap. This has manifested itself in a multitude of ways:

• Banks are increasingly limiting crypto/fiat exchanges, in some cases even closing accounts with all crypto related businesses. I read a case of a blockchain company (not crypto at all) being shut out of their banking relationship.
  • Large platforms such as Google, Twitter, and Facebook are banning advertising of bitcoin, crypto assets, and ICO/ITO related products and services.
  • Regulators all over the world are tightening the screws on crypto asset businesses, making it very hard to build adoption.
  • Regulators are also applying legal requirements unequally to different types of crypto assets, and each regulator seems to have their own definition of what crypto assets are, shockingly defined to be — you guessed it — within their regulatory scope.
  • In order to be a fiat/crypto conversion service, you must comply with the money transmitter requirements of nearly every state. This creates a very high bar to entry for businesses, which slows innovation and reduces competitive forces.
  • Consumers don’t know what to make of crypto assets. Broad-based education to consumers is limited.
  • Know Your Customer and Anti-Money Laundering measures are enforced unevenly, giving a bad reputation to good projects, as well as opening the door for tougher regulations.
  • Fraud in the field is widespread, with heavily pre-mined currencies, ICOs that disappear overnight (with investors funds), and false claims being made all over the space.
  • Poor code — in node daemons, smart contracts, wallets, and exchanges — has led to the loss or theft of hundreds of millions of dollars.
  • The success or failure of many offerings is increasingly based on marketing power, rather than technical or business merit.

In short, in many ways, the current crypto asset ecosystem is giving regulators plenty of legitimate concerns to worry about. If your mission was to protect investors, wouldn’t you be concerned about all of the above? I know I would.

Addressing the Problem

Some in the crypto asset community believe that investors are to blame for their loss of funds, and in some ways I agree with that assessment. However, even the smartest investor can be deceived. There is no replacement for doing your own research, of course. However, the many types of fraud, coding issues, regulatory burdens, and disrepute (as evidenced by advertising bans) are and will continue to inflict damage to the good actors, instead of only the bad. Regulators will continue to do their job to protect investors, but in so doing, the risk is very real that they will harm or create unreasonable burdens on innocent projects.

I believe that the best approach to handle this situation is the creation of Self Regulatory Organizations (SROs), which are entities such as FINRA (the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) that are “self-policing” organizations and are recognized by regulators in that capacity. Recently, Gemini blogged about their proposal to create one SRO which they’ve named the Virtual Commodity Association (VCA). I support this effort and in this article I propose the creation of another SRO.

Self Regulatory Organizations for the Crypto Asset Industry

A few months ago, I was strongly advocating for best-practices, voluntary standards that could be used by anyone in their projects to reduce fraud and enhance confidence. I proposed this through my organization, Blockchain Technology Research Innovations Corporation, which is a 501(c)(3) non-profit economic development organization. Because of the rapid evolution of regulations, the negative actions taken against the crypto asset industry by organizations such as banks (closing accounts) and advertising platforms (banning crypto asset ads), I propose to move that work and build upon it into an industry-supported, non-profit SRO.

To achieve this, BTRIC is collecting tax-deductible (disclaimer: talk to your tax advisor) contributions that we will grant towards the creation and initial operations of an SRO, the working name of which is the Financial Technology Self Regulatory Organization (FTSRO).

In several ways FTSRO will be similar to the VCA, and I hope we are able to work together cooperatively in these areas. However, we strongly believe that there should be multiple SROs, not just one or two. Imagine Visa if there was no Mastercard? Or American Express? Or Discover? Alternatives keep everyone honest and prevent exclusionary organizations. FTSRO is focused on being inclusive, not exclusive.

• Membership open to people, businesses, and decentralized, non-entity projects (such as the Bitcoin Project) that deal in crypto assets of all types, including but not limited to cryptocurrency. By including a wider scope of membership, FTSRO will participate with multiple different regulatory bodies, instead of a singular focus on virtual commodities. FTSRO will seek and build cooperative relationships with CFTC, SEC, Treasury’s OFAC, IRS, state regulators, and associations of state regulators (that often develop shared model frameworks).
  • Ensure that the cost of compliance with any requirements of FTSRO (and, to the extent we’re able, regulatory requirements) is reasonable and does not serve to be a burden that limits innovation and new entry in a field that has so much future growth. After all, if the cost of compliance with an ICO/ITO is nearly that of an IPO, why not just list on a stock exchange? The cost of compliance with FTSRO membership, accreditation, and regulatory requirements — even those for securities tokens — should be a fraction of that cost.
  • Develop accreditation programs for individuals in their competencies, similar to the work being done by the CryptoCurrency Certification Consortium. At the end of the day, we need a pool of professionals with competencies in blockchain code development and evaluation, security auditor, crypto asset classification, ICO/ITO rating and due diligence, crypto asset funds management, and other important functions. To reduce fraud, consumers need to be able to know the difference between a true crypto asset professional and someone that just talks a good game. These accreditations should not be expensive nor overly burdensome. Those that are already experts should be able to easily receive accreditations.
  • Develop cooperative programs between members to ease the burdens of compliance with regulatory requirements. By developing cooperative pools, cost savings and efficiencies can be gained in those areas where it makes sense:
    • Cooperative KYC/AML/CFT programs that better protect consumers and eases burdens on businesses;
    • Best practices frameworks for code evaluation, security audits, incident response and harm mitigation, blockchain resilience, etc.;
    • Crypto asset classification (Determine the legal status of a given crypto asset, such as: currency/virtual commodity, utility token, securities token, collectible, insurance token, etc.);
    • Best practices frameworks for ICO/ITO evaluation and due diligence, building on work such as Spacesuit X;
    • Best practices frameworks for financial and operational security; and
    • Promote the creation of industry-funded investor protection initiatives, such as a Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC) focused on crypto assets.
  • In addition to liaison and advocacy to policymakers, implement educational outreach programs intended on informing businesses (such as those currently banning advertisements as well as businesses that could benefit from crypto asset adoption), investors, and consumers about the benefits of crypto assets.
  • Other outreach and educational programs can be focused towards educators, ensuring that software engineers, financial professionals, and others are educated about crypto assets. As the field grows, we will need more crypto asset professionals to support projects, products, and services.
  • Organize initiatives and programs that have yet to be conceived, keeping up with innovation as the field rapidly evolves.

Benefits to the Crypto Asset Industry

• U.S. citizens should not be precluded from participating in ICO/ITOs around the world because the projects have decided that compliance with U.S. standards is overly burdensome. We can streamline compliance with current regulations, as well as promote further streamlining to lawmakers.
  • Legitimate projects should not decide to incorporate and operate in other countries because the U.S. makes it hard to compete. We can ensure that the United States promotes — not prohibits — innovation in our industry. The U.S. should lead the world in building the projects, products, and services that reshape the global economy.
  • Fraudulent projects must be reduced to the extent possible so that promotion, advertising, and adoption of non-fraudulent crypto assets is not slowed. Good projects should be able to be separated from the bad, without expensive or unreasonable regulatory compliance burdens.

Support the Formation of FTSRO

What began as a cypherpunk movement by Satoshi Nakomoto has grown into something bigger: the realization of a restructuring of how financial markets and economic systems operate. To support this continued growth, some self-policing will provide protection against fraud and increase consumer and investor confidence, which will ultimately enhance adoption.

Support the formation of the Financial Technology Self Regulatory Organization by making a contribution toward this purpose to BTRIC. We have established a separate fund to collect contributions towards the formation and organization of FTSRO. Once the organization is formed, we will donate these funds to it. We have also secured the ftsro.org domain name (currently parked), which we will also donate to the organization. We are actively seeking people that want to be part of this organization as a member of its Board or through involvement in the committees that develop and maintain the standards listed.

• FTSRO Fund — Bitcoin: 3DEUz5roLXYuGZjnA7zyvXZHy7aFMErBqx
  • FTSRO Fund — Ethereum: 0xe7f80b303f10d8bce4e25083c66f12bbe44ebaa3
  • For a receipt to acknowledge your contribution, which is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law (consult your tax advisor), please send an email, signed with the sending address, to donations@btric.org.
  • To make contributions in other cryptocurrencies and/or fiat contributions, please email donations@btric.org and we will take care of it.

Though I know many are opposed to regulations on crypto assets in general, that is not a practical reality in today’s world. Congress has decided that investors and consumers deserve protection, and I agree with that. Carefully designed self-regulatory organizations, such as FTSRO, provide a way to balance the need to be as “light-touch” and inclusive as possible with the important needs of reducing fraud and protecting consumers. In addition, SROs can advance educational and other initiatives that benefit the industry as a whole.

An SRO allows the industry to, in many ways, police itself, which many have discussed the need to do. This proposal provides a framework to moving that forward and I look forward to working with all to form and operate this organization with careful consideration of the issues and values that embody the crypto asset community.

Please reach out to me if you would like to discuss this further. I can be reached on Telegram at https://t.me/BTRICorg.

I am open to everyone's thoughts and ideas.

Best regards,
Ben

Dream it. Plan it. Build it.
Need help with your project? [MY WEBSITE] | [MY COMPANY] | [BLOG] | [TWITTER] | [LINKEDIN] | [EMAIL]
Want to help support the blockchain charity I'm building? [LEARN ABOUT BTRIC] | [DONATE] | [TWITTER] | [EMAIL]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BenOnceAgain (OP)

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2018, 11:59:30 PM

BTRIC Announces Call for Founders of FinTech Self-Regulatory Organization (FTSRO)

Today Blockchain Technology Research Innovations Corporation (BTRIC) announced that it is seeking founders and tax-deductible contributions from across the crypto asset industry for the formation of “Financial Technology Self-Regulatory Organization” (FTSRO).  BTRIC, a 501(c)(3) organization, has established a fund dedicated to the founding of FTSRO and is now seeking additional contributors as well as persons or businesses to be included as founders.

By forming a non-profit Self-Regulatory Organization (SRO), BTRIC believes that the crypto asset industry can better accommodate regulatory requirements in a streamlined and efficient manner, allowing for maximum innovation and participation in this emerging field.  FTSRO will be focused on developing and implementing best-practices standards to cover areas such as crypto asset classification (i.e. determination if a crypto asset is a currency/commodity, a utility token, a securities token, a collectible or other special purpose token, etc.).

In addition, FTSRO will establish model standards for Know Your Customer (KYC), Anti-Money Laundering (AML), and Countering the Financing of Terrorism (CFT) that participants can utilize to ensure consumers and investors are protected against fraud and market manipulation.

Founders of FTSRO will play a role in the organization from the beginning, demonstrating their commitment to “light-touch” self-regulation that ensures that compliance is not expensive or cumbersome and that innovation continues to define and refine one of the most significant developments in the history of commerce.

BTRIC’s Chair of the Board of Trustees, Terri Lei Beideman, stated, “The founding of FinTech SRO is an important step in bringing regulatory clarity to a field that is often confusing and even, in some ways, contradictory.  By sharing information and resources among members and working with regulators, FTSRO will move this industry, which began as a small movement just under ten years ago, forward with constructive and practicable standards and guidance.  FTSRO provides a vehicle to ensure consumers and investors are protected and that crypto asset businesses and other participants are legally compliant while still accommodating the fast pace of innovation in this quickly growing field.”

Persons and businesses interested in participating as a founder of FTSRO, or those interested in contributing to the FTSRO organization fund, should contact BTRIC at ftsro@btric.org.  The concept for FTSRO, which is evolving as more people get involved, is described in this blog article.

About BTRIC: Blockchain Technology Research Innovations Corporation is a U.S. based 501(c)(3) non-profit economic development organization that is focused on the emerging technology field.  Within this field, BTRIC operates a business incubator and startup accelerator, a best-practices standards development, educational, and outreach initiative, and a research and development laboratory.  Due to the global nature of emerging technologies, we also operate a related U.K. based charitable organization (BTRIC UK) to enable contributions from donors located in the United Kingdom, European Union, Iceland, Norway, and Lichtenstein.

Contributions to BTRIC and BTRIC UK may be tax-deductible or eligible for other tax relief to the extent allowed by law.  Contact your tax advisor for more information.  U.K. based donors can contact donations@btric.orgto donate in a manner that is eligible for the U.K. Gift Aid program.

Visit our website at https://www.btric.org.  You can also connect with us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/BTRICorg, keep updated on our Medium blog at https://medium.com/btric, join our Telegram chat at https://t.me/BTRIC_General and reach out via email at hello@btric.org.

Need help with your project? [MY WEBSITE] | [MY COMPANY] | [BLOG] | [TWITTER] | [LINKEDIN] | [EMAIL]
Want to help support the blockchain charity I'm building? [LEARN ABOUT BTRIC] | [DONATE] | [TWITTER] | [EMAIL]
PerfectClam

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

I think self-regulating organizations should act within certain legal framework (almost any country have specific frameworks on that account). However what I don't understand is how this organization can actually influence worldwide policy and regulators attitude?
BenOnceAgain (OP)

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2018, 07:20:44 PM

I think self-regulating organizations should act within certain legal framework (almost any country have specific frameworks on that account). However what I don't understand is how this organization can actually influence worldwide policy and regulators attitude?

Hi PerfectClam,

This organization is specifically focused on the United States, though much of the work it does in terms of laying out best-practices standards could be applied to other countries as a template.  In the U.S., Self-Regulatory Organizations defined slightly differently under the Securities Exchange act and the Commodity Exchange Act.  However, these organizations are essentially a type of non-profit, industry-funded association that is delegated some amount of authority under the law to "self-police" the activities of its members.

There are several SROs for securities, the most prominent one being FINRA (the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority).  As far as I know, there is only one under the purview of the CFTC for commodities, the National Futures Association.

What we are doing here is founding a new organization that will help to bring regulatory certainty to the U.S. market, arguably the largest market for crypto assets in the world.  FinTech SRO will establish a form of "self-regulation" that will reduce fraud, protect consumers and investors, and increase the credibility of the market.

Many businesses and organizations are staying clear of the crypto asset market at this time and one of the largest reasons they give is because of the regulatory uncertainty.  An organization like FinTech SRO will work with the regulators and develop reasonable, affordable, and "light-touch" frameworks to comply with regulations that will balance the need to protect participants and the important objective of not harming innovation or slowing the crypto asset industry.

By soliciting out for founders, we are offering the opportunity for people across the industry to get involved in this organization from the beginning.  My personal focus is just as described above, making sure that innovation is not stifled by regulations that were built for legacy finance.  Crypto assets are profoundly different, and guidelines and best-practices need to accommodate this difference.  There are other things that can be gained by working together, such as advocating for a clear definition of crypto assets (so that each agency doesn't decide that cryptos are /theirjob/).  The situation we have now is that depending on which regulator is asking the question, cryptos can be considered an asset property, commodities, money, prepaid value, and securities.  Bitcoin in my view is most certainly a form of money.  ICOs can be prepaid tokens or securities, depending on their characteristics.  However, many legal analysts and advisors have interpreted the laws their own way without clear guidance that has been endorced by the regulators, so a common system to determine how a given crypto asset should be classified is something will benefit all participants.  Why should, say, Coinbase have to analyze one crypto asset and some other exchange analyze the same asset to determine what it is?  A standard definition and process for classification will help.  In that hypothetical, what if the two exchanges didn't agree?  How would the regulators deal with that?

There are a number of things that multiple organizations can accomplish by launching an SRO.  Another thing I want to make sure of is that "non-entity projects", such as Bitcoin, are not regulated out of existence.  The very nature of decentralized crypto assets means that many of them do not have a central point of governance or control, and this should not impede their ability to become the predominant type of money used in the world.

In terms of worldwide policy, organizations can and do participate in international agreement bodies such as G20 and UN.  While they don't have an actual "vote", per se, they participate as observers and provide comment on their views to the various countries or bodies that do have votes.

I am new to crypto asset regulation (has it even existed long enough to claim that anyone is an expert?), but I have experience in launching other types of SROs and in building and implementing best practices standards that are reasonable.  That's what I'm focused on doing here.

Best regards,
Ben

KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2018, 11:55:43 AM

there will be multiple of these decentral regulatiriy "quality certification" authorities,

just a matter of time till we see the "halal islam coin"
or the "coin for our region"

etc.

mainpriseio

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 04:54:57 AM

You should join forces with: https://www.linkedin.com/company/cryptocurrency-blockchain-legal-regulatory-task-force/
AirP2PFoundation

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 12:15:16 AM

Most of cryptos will disagree with out and do everything to go against crypto regulation because it would then make it centralized and regulated because originally it is what crypto is made for, to be decentralized, but the world is catching up quick with crypto and these regulations will come in the end so its a good idea to make a task force to actually make sure that the regulations go good and as planned in the right direction with some people from the crypto community that actually know their "stuff" in crypto, so i applause for you guys and wish you all the best in these matters.
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2018, 12:26:44 AM

Hi All,

I just published the following article to BTRIC's blog on Medium.  I wanted to share it on here in full, as it builds on many ideas I've first described in the pages of this forum and is the result of a good amount of discussion among people I've come to know from here.

https://medium.com/btric/could-reasonable-crypto-asset-regulation-actually-benefit-the-ecosystem-638c27622d3f
Could Reasonable Crypto Asset Regulation Actually Benefit the Ecosystem?
I believe the benefits outweigh the costs. Here’s why.

The purpose of this article is to convince you, the crypto asset community, that, if done properly, the right regulatory structure for crypto assets would be a net benefit for the field. I am currently raising a small amount of funding from people that want to be a part of the formation of one such non-profit Self Regulatory Organization (SRO). I believe the time is now to get going on this, and I am willing to put in the time and effort to organize and launch this organization. However, I can’t do it alone.

In terms of convincing people that regulation could actually be good for them, I know I have my work cut out for me here. This is especially true in the cypherpunk realm of cryptocurrency. No one wants to be regulated. I wholeheartedly agree with this, having seen first-hand the deleterious economic effects of excessive regulation. However, please take a few minutes with an open mind to consider the concept I describe, which is a very different approach to traditional regulation.

The Situation Today

Right now, in 2018, the crypto asset field on a global basis is not in a good place. As a transformative technology that will change the world, crypto assets are earning a bad rap. This has manifested itself in a multitude of ways:

• Banks are increasingly limiting crypto/fiat exchanges, in some cases even closing accounts with all crypto related businesses. I read a case of a blockchain company (not crypto at all) being shut out of their banking relationship.
  • Large platforms such as Google, Twitter, and Facebook are banning advertising of bitcoin, crypto assets, and ICO/ITO related products and services.
  • Regulators all over the world are tightening the screws on crypto asset businesses, making it very hard to build adoption.
  • Regulators are also applying legal requirements unequally to different types of crypto assets, and each regulator seems to have their own definition of what crypto assets are, shockingly defined to be — you guessed it — within their regulatory scope.
  • In order to be a fiat/crypto conversion service, you must comply with the money transmitter requirements of nearly every state. This creates a very high bar to entry for businesses, which slows innovation and reduces competitive forces.
  • Consumers don’t know what to make of crypto assets. Broad-based education to consumers is limited.
  • Know Your Customer and Anti-Money Laundering measures are enforced unevenly, giving a bad reputation to good projects, as well as opening the door for tougher regulations.
  • Fraud in the field is widespread, with heavily pre-mined currencies, ICOs that disappear overnight (with investors funds), and false claims being made all over the space.
  • Poor code — in node daemons, smart contracts, wallets, and exchanges — has led to the loss or theft of hundreds of millions of dollars.
  • The success or failure of many offerings is increasingly based on marketing power, rather than technical or business merit.

In short, in many ways, the current crypto asset ecosystem is giving regulators plenty of legitimate concerns to worry about. If your mission was to protect investors, wouldn’t you be concerned about all of the above? I know I would.

Addressing the Problem

Some in the crypto asset community believe that investors are to blame for their loss of funds, and in some ways I agree with that assessment. However, even the smartest investor can be deceived. There is no replacement for doing your own research, of course. However, the many types of fraud, coding issues, regulatory burdens, and disrepute (as evidenced by advertising bans) are and will continue to inflict damage to the good actors, instead of only the bad. Regulators will continue to do their job to protect investors, but in so doing, the risk is very real that they will harm or create unreasonable burdens on innocent projects.

I believe that the best approach to handle this situation is the creation of Self Regulatory Organizations (SROs), which are entities such as FINRA (the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) that are “self-policing” organizations and are recognized by regulators in that capacity. Recently, Gemini blogged about their proposal to create one SRO which they’ve named the Virtual Commodity Association (VCA). I support this effort and in this article I propose the creation of another SRO.

Self Regulatory Organizations for the Crypto Asset Industry

A few months ago, I was strongly advocating for best-practices, voluntary standards that could be used by anyone in their projects to reduce fraud and enhance confidence. I proposed this through my organization, Blockchain Technology Research Innovations Corporation, which is a 501(c)(3) non-profit economic development organization. Because of the rapid evolution of regulations, the negative actions taken against the crypto asset industry by organizations such as banks (closing accounts) and advertising platforms (banning crypto asset ads), I propose to move that work and build upon it into an industry-supported, non-profit SRO.

To achieve this, BTRIC is collecting tax-deductible (disclaimer: talk to your tax advisor) contributions that we will grant towards the creation and initial operations of an SRO, the working name of which is the Financial Technology Self Regulatory Organization (FTSRO).

In several ways FTSRO will be similar to the VCA, and I hope we are able to work together cooperatively in these areas. However, we strongly believe that there should be multiple SROs, not just one or two. Imagine Visa if there was no Mastercard? Or American Express? Or Discover? Alternatives keep everyone honest and prevent exclusionary organizations. FTSRO is focused on being inclusive, not exclusive.

• Membership open to people, businesses, and decentralized, non-entity projects (such as the Bitcoin Project) that deal in crypto assets of all types, including but not limited to cryptocurrency. By including a wider scope of membership, FTSRO will participate with multiple different regulatory bodies, instead of a singular focus on virtual commodities. FTSRO will seek and build cooperative relationships with CFTC, SEC, Treasury’s OFAC, IRS, state regulators, and associations of state regulators (that often develop shared model frameworks).
  • Ensure that the cost of compliance with any requirements of FTSRO (and, to the extent we’re able, regulatory requirements) is reasonable and does not serve to be a burden that limits innovation and new entry in a field that has so much future growth. After all, if the cost of compliance with an ICO/ITO is nearly that of an IPO, why not just list on a stock exchange? The cost of compliance with FTSRO membership, accreditation, and regulatory requirements — even those for securities tokens — should be a fraction of that cost.
  • Develop accreditation programs for individuals in their competencies, similar to the work being done by the CryptoCurrency Certification Consortium. At the end of the day, we need a pool of professionals with competencies in blockchain code development and evaluation, security auditor, crypto asset classification, ICO/ITO rating and due diligence, crypto asset funds management, and other important functions. To reduce fraud, consumers need to be able to know the difference between a true crypto asset professional and someone that just talks a good game. These accreditations should not be expensive nor overly burdensome. Those that are already experts should be able to easily receive accreditations.
  • Develop cooperative programs between members to ease the burdens of compliance with regulatory requirements. By developing cooperative pools, cost savings and efficiencies can be gained in those areas where it makes sense:
    • Cooperative KYC/AML/CFT programs that better protect consumers and eases burdens on businesses;
    • Best practices frameworks for code evaluation, security audits, incident response and harm mitigation, blockchain resilience, etc.;
    • Crypto asset classification (Determine the legal status of a given crypto asset, such as: currency/virtual commodity, utility token, securities token, collectible, insurance token, etc.);
    • Best practices frameworks for ICO/ITO evaluation and due diligence, building on work such as Spacesuit X;
    • Best practices frameworks for financial and operational security; and
    • Promote the creation of industry-funded investor protection initiatives, such as a Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC) focused on crypto assets.
  • In addition to liaison and advocacy to policymakers, implement educational outreach programs intended on informing businesses (such as those currently banning advertisements as well as businesses that could benefit from crypto asset adoption), investors, and consumers about the benefits of crypto assets.
  • Other outreach and educational programs can be focused towards educators, ensuring that software engineers, financial professionals, and others are educated about crypto assets. As the field grows, we will need more crypto asset professionals to support projects, products, and services.
  • Organize initiatives and programs that have yet to be conceived, keeping up with innovation as the field rapidly evolves.

Benefits to the Crypto Asset Industry

• U.S. citizens should not be precluded from participating in ICO/ITOs around the world because the projects have decided that compliance with U.S. standards is overly burdensome. We can streamline compliance with current regulations, as well as promote further streamlining to lawmakers.
  • Legitimate projects should not decide to incorporate and operate in other countries because the U.S. makes it hard to compete. We can ensure that the United States promotes — not prohibits — innovation in our industry. The U.S. should lead the world in building the projects, products, and services that reshape the global economy.
  • Fraudulent projects must be reduced to the extent possible so that promotion, advertising, and adoption of non-fraudulent crypto assets is not slowed. Good projects should be able to be separated from the bad, without expensive or unreasonable regulatory compliance burdens.

Support the Formation of FTSRO

What began as a cypherpunk movement by Satoshi Nakomoto has grown into something bigger: the realization of a restructuring of how financial markets and economic systems operate. To support this continued growth, some self-policing will provide protection against fraud and increase consumer and investor confidence, which will ultimately enhance adoption.

Support the formation of the Financial Technology Self Regulatory Organization by making a contribution toward this purpose to BTRIC. We have established a separate fund to collect contributions towards the formation and organization of FTSRO. Once the organization is formed, we will donate these funds to it. We have also secured the ftsro.org domain name (currently parked), which we will also donate to the organization. We are actively seeking people that want to be part of this organization as a member of its Board or through involvement in the committees that develop and maintain the standards listed.

• FTSRO Fund — Bitcoin: 3DEUz5roLXYuGZjnA7zyvXZHy7aFMErBqx
  • FTSRO Fund — Ethereum: 0xe7f80b303f10d8bce4e25083c66f12bbe44ebaa3
  • For a receipt to acknowledge your contribution, which is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law (consult your tax advisor), please send an email, signed with the sending address, to donations@btric.org.
  • To make contributions in other cryptocurrencies and/or fiat contributions, please email donations@btric.org and we will take care of it.

Though I know many are opposed to regulations on crypto assets in general, that is not a practical reality in today’s world. Congress has decided that investors and consumers deserve protection, and I agree with that. Carefully designed self-regulatory organizations, such as FTSRO, provide a way to balance the need to be as “light-touch” and inclusive as possible with the important needs of reducing fraud and protecting consumers. In addition, SROs can advance educational and other initiatives that benefit the industry as a whole.

An SRO allows the industry to, in many ways, police itself, which many have discussed the need to do. This proposal provides a framework to moving that forward and I look forward to working with all to form and operate this organization with careful consideration of the issues and values that embody the crypto asset community.

Please reach out to me if you would like to discuss this further. I can be reached on Telegram at https://t.me/BTRICorg.

I am open to everyone's thoughts and ideas.

Best regards,
Ben

i am interested joining but this is a huge barrel you are opening highly political

regards

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: