Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:38:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Inputs.io Is Gone I'm Calling It A Scam  (Read 8199 times)
bluemystic

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:10:01 PM

Maybe he is, but he's just not posting it yet. The hacker(s) probably read these forums aswel. If they feel safe, they'll go through less trouble to cover up I guess.

And you are who defending him the whole time? If he is such a big part of the community why cant he speak for himself and is doing only selective responses?
Assuming and knowing are two different things, and from what i read yet he doesnt get anyone involved into any investigation process, and he himself doesnt seem be able todo it all.

Probably time to contact the Australian Government as someone suggested.

Probably because he's got more important things to do? I'm defending him because a lot of people are making unfair comments. Nobody is happy about losing money, but he's doing the best he can (including using his personal funds to refund everyone). He could've just dissapeared and kept his own money instead.

show some proof to back this up
Kasgel

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:19:16 PM

What if he just refunds people that had more than 1 BTC from the amount that he stole? So not from his own personal money. There are still lots of people that had less than 1 BTC and he would make good profit just from their bitcoins.
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 01:21:16 PM

I would also refund 1000 from the 4100. A simple math takes me to 3100 btc which are left in my pocket Tongue
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

I think bitcoiners finally will learn the lesson - NEVER trust your Bitcoins to the online wallet!

Sadly, I don't think they will.

If there is one thing that I learned this year, it is that people are careless with their Bitcoins.

Not sure why naive people are drawn to this community but scams are clearly going to continue to pile up.
D357@RG

Activity: 27

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 06:43:47 PM

Don't use web wallets.

Seriously - it always ends in tears.

Cute Dog.... What wallets do you recommend? I personally use Coinbase.com and that is because they are licensed and a regulated business in California good old USA. You can actually visit the office.

I really do find it most amusing that so many people 'buy' BTC from Coinbase (and similar companies of the same ilk) and proceed to store these 'BTC' in online wallets.  To sell numbers on a screen, what an awesome business model.   Cheesy

Sure, NOT ALL the online/hosted wallet providers are intentionally dishonest, having malicious intent from the outset.  Sure, many operators of these businesses are smart people and, in fact, mostly do as they claim.  The fact is that almost every single one will 'borrow' from the kitty and, the bigger they get, the loftier their outlook becomes and the more they will tend to do this.  

Why is it that no one talks about capital adequacy ratios?  

Why are so many bitcoin users, who are generally smarter than average people, act so stupid as to put their hard-earned wealth in someone else's hands and ask for nothing in return, no compensation for the risk?

Has no one in crypto-coin land heard the term 'due diligence' nor considered the value proposition of 'independent audits'?
 - with blockchain data publicly available, audit activities could be almost entirely automated.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:50:28 PM

I buy from Coinbase because they are the most efficient way to purchase BTC in the US, and I move those coins to a wallet I control.
D357@RG

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 06:54:02 PM

This is clearly a scam, I again was right from the beginning. I don't only blame TF, but I blame media outlets like coindesk, ... that vetted it as a high security web wallet. THIS UNACCEPTABLE!

Coindesk is only too happy to pronounce <your-BTC-business> is <anything-you-like> so long as you pay them (~2BTC is the going rate).  
D357@RG

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 07:22:43 PM

What if he just refunds people that had more than 1 BTC from the amount that he stole? So not from his own personal money. There are still lots of people that had less than 1 BTC and he would make good profit just from their bitcoins.

Why does the site ask for your email if you had more than 1BTC?
 - did we forget to backup the ledger as well as move private key/s offline?

Everyone in this thread, look at bitcoin-qt and armory together the safes way to handle bitcoins on your computer. Otherwise the best way would be paper wallets, I have a lot of paper wallets.

Armory is a bit of a hassle and for non-IT n00bers, you cannot seriously recommend it with a straight face.

The easiest and best way to 'cold' store 'coin' offline? 
Grab vanitygen64 or similar from github; make a few addresses and keep the prvkey offline; send nest egg funds to one of these addresses; make very sure you keep the private key printed in triplicate and each copy stored in a very safe place.

Is using two passwords, one to login, one to authorize funds transfers, and 2fa on coinbase.info enough to combat vulnerabilities from both sides?

The vulnerability here is very likely a combination of greed and lack of supervision.  The former will always exist and should thus be assumed and expected.  The latter, is up to everyone to demand and insist is mandatory* and a requisite for doing businesses.

The policy everyone needs is "It is not that I don't trust, rather I always favor not having to trust".  Put systems in place such that you only trust when there is simply no practical structure to eliminate it.

Maybe TradeFortress should have spent less time scamming ripple newbies and creating ripplesscam websites and more time securing his own website!

lulz.

In all seriousness, did no one at all ask for a collection of wallet addresses used by the site?

Has no one had any form of peak at the books?

Can anyone verify at all that 4100 BTC was 'there' a week ago and has just in the last 48 hours been moved?

They have been aggressively marketing the site, a lot of giveaway, partner bribe, etc, no fee sending, how do they make money? Other than trying to runaway with user money.

They are 'making money' the old fashioned way - 'so long as the discounted hypthetical future valuation' of the business is increasing, it's perfectly fine to borrow a bit here to spend a bit there.  lol.

refer Enron and HFV accounting...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR45ja3VjGE‎

D357@RG

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 07:39:37 PM

...whole lot of "marked" Bitcoins. It think it would take a fair bit of mixing before they can spend them freely.

Nah, that's quite easy. You can spend them in so many places that won't check the origin.

If push comes to shove there is always local bitcoins (just don't do it anywhere where you are actually local and take the time to drive a bit).

Not to mention, consider this...

a)  If steal key to addressA with 100BTC;
b)  Send the 100BTC to addressB with 200BTC (not stolen) already in it;
c)  Then, I send you 50BTC from addressB, have you received ANY stolen coins?

Probably time to contact the Australian Government as someone suggested.

They are well aware.

here is another one of his profiles https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=38455
notice the name? same name and location Australia

I am willing to bet that he has registered a DOT.COM.AU address at some point or another.  This would require an Australian Business Number and the details of these are publicly searchable www.business.gov.au

Can has D0X race? yes...  Wink
D357@RG

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 07:51:17 PM

I just don't think it would have made much sense to drop the facade now if he was scammer after putting so much effort on all his services, no matter how deeply flawed was their security from the get-go, and trying to build a reputation when he could have done it far earlier, probably get away with more money and when BTC wasn't at an all-time high so people would eventually forget about it.

In that TF is an anon, the choices are:
a)  Become new anon (or more to another of several profiles)
b)  See what value potential value is left in the TF profile.

The choices are not mutually exclusive so why do either when can has both?

People are so stupid, he's got every chance of milking this for a double-dip mega rip!
- security issues have been patched
 - here's partial refund 'out of my own pocket into new SUPER io.IN"
 - No competing online wallet host will dare call attention to the obvious problem lest they expose the elephant in the room
 - Coinbase will most assuredly give careful consideration to all angles and publish a article of little to nil journalistic merit but with just a hint of objectivity to disguise a paid-for promo-campaign
 - guaranteed that some people portion of people will be both stupid and lazy and end up transferring moar in.

In a way, I guess this is just standard economic Darwinism, now just accelerated to bitcoin protocol speeds.  
collingiusti

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:37:21 AM

They stole .05 btc from me.
gaston909

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:38:18 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=328053.msg3522352#msg3522352

Please see the link above if you have any losses on inputs or CL.

While an investigation is considered, Let's account for what's been stolen and those of us who can afford it, can donate if we wish.

This is not an opportunity for accusations, are venting anger. Just facts about losses and evidence gathering.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: