Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:01:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper wallets  (Read 499 times)
Damn chase (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:53:53 AM

I a, trying to figure out ways of cold storing my BTC.  I realize creating a paper wallet offline is the most secure way but I want to hear some input.

I played around with just printing a paper wallet from bitaddress and sending a tiny amount to there just to see how the transaction works. 

I don't want to buy a computer for the sole sake of creating a wallet offline.  How secure is the same paper wallet created on my phone and printed off?  What kind of skill and determination would it take to get access to my private keys, electronically?
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 05:52:55 AM

It should be very straight forward. Simply make a paper wallet, send money to it and then put it in a safe. Then just import the private key, and you should pretty much get all the BTC on there!

onemanarmybtc

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:32:15 AM

Make sure to import/spend the entire amount of bitcoins per paper wallet. Every sheet of paper should have the exact amount of coins you put there so you can cross compare.

You can generate paper wallets with a script on your personal computer so you can assure nobody has seen your private.

You can boot ubuntu from a usb stick and create paper address with an offline address generation javascript code available if you search on google.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:53:24 AM

Make sure to import/spend the entire amount of bitcoins per paper wallet. Every sheet of paper should have the exact amount of coins you put there so you can cross compare.

You can generate paper wallets with a script on your personal computer so you can assure nobody has seen your private.

You can boot ubuntu from a usb stick and create paper address with an offline address generation javascript code available if you search on google.

You may also want to check out NoBrainr (see signature), made just for this Wink
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:59:08 AM

Armory makes it really easy to do this. I mean paper wallets can get crazy there are people that have special computers, some people even have special printers, me I just use an offline computer with armory to create it.
Damn chase (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 10:46:18 AM

why is it important to spend the entire amount?
prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 12:09:12 PM

Because the change of the transaction might have gone to another address in your wallet.

After importing the paper key into your wallet and the full balance shows up simply send the amount of money you won't need immediately to a **new** paper wallet and then burn the old one.

Example (using Multibit as an example):

MultiBit 1.2345 BTC
Paper: 500 BTC

you need 10 BTC from the paper to spend it with Multibit, so first import the key of the paper into MultiBit:

MultiBit: 501.2345 BTC  <- ok, now you have full control over the entire amount in MultiBit
Paper: --> undefined, don't need it anymore, burn it!

now immediately send 490 BTC to a **new** paper wallet

MultiBit: 11.2345 BTC
Paper2: 490 BTC

Done. Now you can spend your 10 BTC and the remainder is safe on Paper again. The old paper key has become integral part of the MultiBit wallet like all other keys in there, you have burnt the old paper because you need every key only once and this one has now become a key in your regular wallet and not a paper key anymore.

MoneyGod

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:42:31 PM

Because the change of the transaction might have gone to another address in your wallet.

After importing the paper key into your wallet and the full balance shows up simply send the amount of money you won't need immediately to a **new** paper wallet and then burn the old one.

Example (using Multibit as an example):

MultiBit 1.2345 BTC
Paper: 500 BTC

you need 10 BTC from the paper to spend it with Multibit, so first import the key of the paper into MultiBit:

MultiBit: 501.2345 BTC  <- ok, now you have full control over the entire amount in MultiBit
Paper: --> undefined, don't need it anymore, burn it!

now immediately send 490 BTC to a **new** paper wallet

MultiBit: 11.2345 BTC
Paper2: 490 BTC

Done. Now you can spend your 10 BTC and the remainder is safe on Paper again. The old paper key has become integral part of the MultiBit wallet like all other keys in there, you have burnt the old paper because you need every key only once and this one has now become a key in your regular wallet and not a paper key anymore.

very nice thanks for all this I was wondering what is this paper wallet now understanding something after you this all explanation
if I have my amount back from inputs must send you some tip Huh

oser41eric

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:53:16 PM

I suggest to learn import the private key to Bitcoin client like Bitcoin-QT, or blockchain.info right before spending your coins. This way you dont need to spend entire amount of bitcoins
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: