Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:50:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange power problems  (Read 242 times)
twicx (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 01:10:29 AM

I've had this problem before, it fixed itself for a while, but now it's back with a vengeance.

Currently running 10x580s and 2x560s, W10 Pro, 2x1000W PSUs, latest amd drivers, sgminer or claymore depending on the algorithm. On ethash, using around 600W on 1 PSU, 510W on second, measured at the wall.

Mining runs fine for a varied amount of time, anything from 1hr to 2 days. Then randomly, it's as if the 2nd PSU just shuts off. The fans etc stop, and wattage measures 0. I've tried checking risers, cables etc and I can't seem to identify the problem. The only thing I can think of it being is some sort of surge or overload at the wall or powerbar, but I'm using a 20A 2000W surge protector.

Any ideas at all, either on how to narrow down causes or find a solution? Happening very frequently now.

Thanks all

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2018, 01:39:39 AM
Merited by Steamtyme (1)

Try plugging your rig into the socket/outlet directly. You may have a bad surge protector or it's designed to shut off at specific loads we have no idea about.

I had the exact same problem a few months back. I tried changing everything from drivers, to risers, to cables, to PSUs. Turns out that the problem was that my extension cord / surge protector for some reason automatically turns itself of. Never would have noticed it until i sat beside it for an hour and saw it right before my eyes, the surge protector's switch simply turned itself off.

I've since them switched to an extension cord without any switches at all. Been running a stable rig ever since.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
theodrim

Activity: 78
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 01:41:55 AM

using a 20A 2000W surge protector.
You mean simple extension with MOV (varistor) iniside or proper one? What are psu's model and how does they connected?
twicx (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 01:51:13 AM

Try plugging your rig into the socket/outlet directly. You may have a bad surge protector or it's designed to shut off at specific loads we have no idea about.

I had the exact same problem a few months back. I tried changing everything from drivers, to risers, to cables, to PSUs. Turns out that the problem was that my extension cord / surge protector for some reason automatically turns itself of. Never would have noticed it until i sat beside it for an hour and saw it right before my eyes, the surge protector's switch simply turned itself off.

I've since them switched to an extension cord without any switches at all. Been running a stable rig ever since.

I suspect the surge protector thing could be the culprit too. It's a slightly beefier version of just a box standard one. The tricky thing is that even though the rig is beside a 2-outlet socket on the wall, space is tricky. I have a powerline plug for the network cable that won't work on a powerbar, and the next nearest outlet is quite a bit away. I think you might be right though that the one powerbar is essentially getting overloaded. I'll test it tomorrow.

using a 20A 2000W surge protector.
You mean simple extension with MOV (varistor) iniside or proper one? What are psu's model and how does they connected?

I think it's the first option. The PSUs are 2xRosewill Hive 1000W. I think it's the powerbar thing though.

Cheers for the ideas, both of you.
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 06:31:18 AM

I think there is not enough power and your psu just shutdowns
because sometimes amd settings for downvolting are not applying. and it necessary to move the clock slider in afterburner and then hit apply and here we go voltage is now correct, so maybe you could check there?
twicx (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 10:01:02 AM

because sometimes amd settings for downvolting are not applying. and it necessary to move the clock slider in afterburner and then hit apply and here we go voltage is now correct, so maybe you could check there?

I don't think it's that. I'm using overdriveN, and even if they all reverted to stock voltages, the draw on cryptonight would still be less than 1000W on the second PSU.
Geraldo

Activity: 574
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 10:09:09 AM

I was suspecting this is power scheme issue. How you connect those two PSU, how you split cable from both PSU for powering your cards and risers. Etc.
twicx (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 11:00:54 AM

Out of interest, what is the best way to run two PSUs? Is add2psu as good as a decent cable or is there s better option?
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 11:06:50 AM

Out of interest, what is the best way to run two PSUs? Is add2psu as good as a decent cable or is there s better option?

Add2psu is the one popular but honestly I've seen users who are encountered problems using it with 2 PSU setups, I suspect though that it might be the cause of the prob, Try to use paper clip technique for the 2nd PSU for isolation purpose just to debunk this issue.

twicx (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 11:55:48 AM

Add2psu is the one popular but honestly I've seen users who are encountered problems using it with 2 PSU setups, I suspect though that it might be the cause of the prob, Try to use paper clip technique for the 2nd PSU for isolation purpose just to debunk this issue.

I take it cables are generally viewed as an inferior solution?

Oddly enough, I had to buy 2 different sets of psu splitter cables because the first one wouldn't allow either PSU to turn on.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 12:02:23 PM

Like leonix said and also based on my experience, jump-start technique better than add2psu (at least for me). Sometimes, your 2nd PSU will run into power-up delaying when using this tool.

You need to pay more attention to powering scheme on your rig. Cause this is one of most GPUs rig problems.
yrk1957

Activity: 529
Merit: 29

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 02:16:53 PM

^^^This.

Down-clock and see if it helps, I had the same issue, it worked for me.

Otherwise add another PSU or replace with stronger ones.
twicx (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 09:05:45 PM

^^^This.

Down-clock and see if it helps, I had the same issue, it worked for me.

Otherwise add another PSU or replace with stronger ones.

I just tested this, it's very little difference. Even increasing voltage from 815 to 850 still caused the same effect, and still a good 400W below the 1000W max.

I'm trying a new power setup. Different outlets for each PSU. If I'm still having problems, I'm going to switch the two psus around, because they're the same.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 06:43:48 AM

I just tested this, it's very little difference. Even increasing voltage from 815 to 850 still caused the same effect, and still a good 400W below the 1000W max.

I'm trying a new power setup. Different outlets for each PSU. If I'm still having problems, I'm going to switch the two psus around, because they're the same.

With those 2 x Rosewill Hive 1000W, you have 2x 8 pins and 12 x 8 (6+2) pins, right? Then how your GPU power scheme? Also, we need risers power scheme if possible.
twicx (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 05:18:01 PM

They have 4 connections. Two have 2 x 8 pin, and two have 1 x 8 pin. They power the pci connections. For the risers, they're sata type, powered in pairs.

I think I've managed to solve the problem. I swapped the GPU distribution around to 5+1 (580/560) per PSU. Mining for 8 hours on claymore ethash and no problems so far. 328Mhs with 710W per PSU. Seems about right?
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 05:35:58 PM

They have 4 connections. Two have 2 x 8 pin, and two have 1 x 8 pin. They power the pci connections. For the risers, they're sata type, powered in pairs.

I think I've managed to solve the problem. I swapped the GPU distribution around to 5+1 (580/560) per PSU. Mining for 8 hours on claymore ethash and no problems so far. 328Mhs with 710W per PSU. Seems about right?

Oh yeah, that's good, let's waiting at least for next 24 hours. When you are using SATA connector for a riser power, make sure max one riser/rail, safer. Better using Molex (directly from PSU).
twicx (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 05:43:55 PM

Yeah, it really isn't the best way of powering risers. However, I've had no problems with them so far. They don't even feel particularly hot after long bouts of running. I've a tonne of airflow across each rig. it's two rosewill 4u server racks, with 5x120mm high-airflow fans in each. They keep lovely and cool!

I'll keep an eye on things. My theory is, because ethash is more power hungry, if it's stable on this, I'm in the clear.

Thanks again for the help.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 06:10:48 PM

My pleasure. Wink
Sound like you were in a safe zone with those all stuff. As long as your rig running smoothly with that setup, keep going.
twicx (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 06:49:06 PM

I spoke too soon, it's down again. But, I think I've figured it out.

I was watching as it happened. When claymore switched to mine for devfee, it couldn't connect at first, so the gpus weren't running at 100%. The second it connected and the gpus went to fire up, it died.

So it's something when the gpus turn off or go from 100% to 0%. Its the whole PSU that turns off. So I'm gonna order an add2psu and see if that does it.

And to make matters worse, I can't get sgminer to work since the fork yesterday. Got the updated cryptonight.cl file, but won't start at all.

Fuck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: