Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:05:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hi i am phosphor  (Read 178 times)
phosphor1897 (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 12:18:41 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

hello

I am new to bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general. it's been quite a wild ride and not so easy to come to terms with what this stuff means for us in the long run. looking forward to learning more and understanding what this means for us going forward.

sincerely,
phosphor
MintDice

Activity: 238
Merit: 46

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 03:51:09 PM

Welcome to the crypto-world phosphor!

This forum is a good place to start learning and the "beginners help" thread is exactly where you should be. When you have downtime, it's recommended to also read the btc white paper, familiarize yourself with blockchain technology and general crypto terminology and eventually the general p2p transaction process--where you will ultimately choose an exchange platform and wallet for your coins. For a concise yet informative guide on bitcoin check out our Bitcoin guide on our blog: http://bit.ly/Bitcoin101Guide  Feel free to check out our other posts, however, for helpful guides on exchanges, wallets and blockchain tech as well.

Cheers!

mithrim

Activity: 434
Merit: 436

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 04:18:58 PM

hello

I am new to bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general. it's been quite a wild ride and not so easy to come to terms with what this stuff means for us in the long run. looking forward to learning more and understanding what this means for us going forward.

sincerely,
phosphor

Very nice of you to introduce yourself!
Crypto can be though, that's true. The best way to tackle this is knowledge and Bitcointalk is one of the best ways to acquire this much-needed value.
I'd suggest that you begin by making yourself familiar with the forum and how it works. Because it's a give and take and there are some rules/guidelines to follow and if you know them, your life will be much easier:

You'll find any topic you could imagine and if something is missing, start your own one, since that's the spirit of BCT, share information.

Have a safe stay and enjoy your crypto trip  Smiley
phosphor1897 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 01:05:35 PM

thanks for the kind replies, links & resources.

i am fascinated by the all altcoins and have become involved in mining them too on my desktop using linux vfio (since i am worried about malware with this stuff, so I don't use my windows machine!)

how is the altcoin stuff viewed by the bitcoin community? or is it the same community? the social stuff has been a bit hard to parse with all the greed that is flying around... ICOs, etc, really made a confusing situation more confusing.

looking forward to reading the resources you have given me and understanding more. cryptocurrency definitely has my attention now so best to truly try and understand it i suppose.

sincerely,
phosphor
kenji27

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 02:02:27 PM

hello

sincerely,
phosphor
welcome to the world  of bitcoin and bitcointalk  hopefully you will achieve your goal  can i pm  you or pm me tnx
Coinster

Activity: 222
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 02:58:32 PM

how is the altcoin stuff viewed by the bitcoin community? or is it the same community?

Hi phosphor,

That's a good question. I'll give a bit of history. At first there were no alt-coins. There was only Bitcoin, and really only this forum for discussion. Soon people began introducing other coins but they were basically exact copies of Bitcoin. These users just wanted to change how many coins they held. Namecoin and Litecoin were the first alt-coins that made notable changes. Namecoin was looking to decentralize domain name registration. Litecoin wanted to emphasize better distributed mining by changing the hashing algorithm to Scrypt, which also requires RAM, and making a "lighter" faster coin by tweaking number of coins (increased by factor of 4, so they'd always be cheaper) and block time down to 2 minutes.

At first people thought all alt-coins were a joke and would eventually disappear. I didn't. People began to realize that it was good to have alt-coins to test things out and see what might be good to use for Bitcoin. A good example of this is the anonymity features coins like Monero are experimenting with. (Note Bitcoin is NOT completely anonymous; it can be used highly anonymously, but this requires good understanding of how it works)

the social stuff has been a bit hard to parse with all the greed that is flying around... ICOs, etc, really made a confusing situation more confusing.

Yes, it's really crazy now that a much larger percentage of the world is involved and interested. However, the cool thing is that as crazy as it is, it's all being done in a free market with voluntary actions. That means when things settle down we'll probably have a really, really good benefit to the world that we didn't have before.
phosphor1897 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 04:05:04 PM

welcome to the world  of bitcoin and bitcointalk  hopefully you will achieve your goal  can i pm  you or pm me tnx

thank you

how is the altcoin stuff viewed by the bitcoin community? or is it the same community?
At first there were no alt-coins. There was only Bitcoin, and really only this forum for discussion. Soon people began introducing other coins but they were basically exact copies of Bitcoin. These users just wanted to change how many coins they held. Namecoin and Litecoin were the first alt-coins that made notable changes. Namecoin was looking to decentralize domain name registration. Litecoin wanted to emphasize better distributed mining by changing the hashing algorithm to Scrypt, which also requires RAM, and making a "lighter" faster coin by tweaking number of coins (increased by factor of 4, so they'd always be cheaper) and block time down to 2 minutes.

At first people thought all alt-coins were a joke and would eventually disappear. I didn't. People began to realize that it was good to have alt-coins to test things out and see what might be good to use for Bitcoin. A good example of this is the anonymity features coins like Monero are experimenting with. (Note Bitcoin is NOT completely anonymous; it can be used highly anonymously, but this requires good understanding of how it works)

the social stuff has been a bit hard to parse with all the greed that is flying around... ICOs, etc, really made a confusing situation more confusing.

Yes, it's really crazy now that a much larger percentage of the world is involved and interested. However, the cool thing is that as crazy as it is, it's all being done in a free market with voluntary actions. That means when things settle down we'll probably have a really, really good benefit to the world that we didn't have before.

Dear Coinster

thank you for the history lesson and the positive perspective, that really helps me
danielkruchin

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2018, 02:46:51 AM

Hello Phospor! Welcome, I hope you find other welcoming people here! Message me if you need help with anything
phosphor1897 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 12:03:10 PM

Hello Phospor! Welcome, I hope you find other welcoming people here! Message me if you need help with anything

yes, people have been very welcoming, and thank you
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2018, 05:45:43 PM

Hey, welcome on board Phosphor, if you are willing to learn more about Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies then you are on a right platform. I would recommend you to invest your time and try to understand the concepts and basics before rushing to invest your money. Do your own research before taking any investment decision and never blindly follow other's opinion. There will be many opportunities to get in the game and hence take time and knowledge before entering in the same.
tokexchain

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 05:59:14 PM

Welcome to the Crypto world, Phosphor! - Take a look a the Bitcoin Wiki too at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page  for more in depth analysis and technical , and there are some great real world links on there too Smiley
phosphor1897 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 06:23:54 PM

Thanks dudeperfect and tokexchain

I actually just finished going through all the earlier links I was given so thank you for the new resources!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: