Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:19:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: JOE WEISENTHAL calls bitcoin a joke. I'm laughing all the way to the bank.  (Read 7505 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 12:23:04 PM

After reading a particularly nasty piece of 'journalism' : http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-is-a-currency-for-clowns-2013-11

I thought I would create a meme for it.

You should read about his 'investments' in his bio.

Make your own:

here:
http://memegenerator.net/

A bit about our 'friend':

Joe Weisenthal
Prior to joining Business Insider in October 2008, Joe was a correspondent for paidContent.org, as well as the Opening Bell editor at Dealbreaker.com. He previously was a writer and analyst for Techdirt.com, and before that worked as an analyst for money management firm Prentiss Smith & Co.

He got started writing with his own infrequently updated blog TheStalwart.com. A graduate of The University of Texas at Austin, Joe's interests include Chinese food, chess and poker.

He currently has the title of Executive Editor.

Reach him at jweisenthal@businessinsider.com or IM him anytime at openfilerook.

You can also call him at 917-621-7438

Disclosure: Joe's investments include various index funds, gold as well as individual positions in Apple, American Apparel, BP, Google, Johnson & Johnson, Kyocera, Nokia, Sanofi Steelcase, Posco, Omnivision, Berkshire Hathaway (a B share!), Smith & Wesson and AIG.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/author/joe-weisenthal#ixzz2jxgkBUoa

more or less retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
philip2000uk

Activity: 276
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 12:29:08 PM

Yep...and that norweigan guy too who had bitcoin sat in his new apartment from the money he made.  Grin

Leather girls identity film2 on youtube and website link i accept bitcoin Smiley
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 12:37:44 PM

Yep...and that norweigan guy too who had bitcoin sat in his new apartment from the money he made.  Grin

I'm sure that guy is kicking himself for not waiting and buying a BIGGER apartment. :-)

more or less retired.
thecomputerscientist

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:51:04 PM

Weisenthal said that Bitcoin is intrinsically worth nada, and responds to those Bitcoin supporters that say USD by the same definition is worth nada, but Weisenthal then claims that USD is intrinsically worth something because the US government says it is worth something.

Now this is wrong in two aspects:

1) USD is worth something not because the US gov says so, but because China says so. The day China says that USD isn't worth anything, the USD will collapse.

2) What would happen if China says Bitcoin is the new world reserve currency? At that day Bitcoin will have intrinsic value by his own definition. So the only thing we can conclude is that he thinks that this can never happen.

But it can! China has on multiple occassions wanted to dethrone the USD as world reserve currency and replace it with EDR (Extended Drawing Rights). However, I think that the day will come when China realizes that Bitcoin is a much better solution than EDR. And when that happens, Bitcoin will have a market cap of 10 trillion USD at least which would imply around $1000000 per Bitcoin.
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:02:34 PM

Everybody remember this guy's name, so that we can swamp him with "I told you so"'s in 5 years.

I have a list of names of shit talkers on my facebook list who are going to get an earful one day.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 02:04:35 PM

When China dumps their dollars on the world market, it is over for the US dollar. En China is already pointing to a new world currency and my guess is that Bitcoin is one of the candidates.

The reason why this guy is talking crap about Bitcoin is because they are all politicans. When someone or something is rising up, they starting to throw dirt to it. They are doing the same with Bitcoin, because they can't get a hand on it. Just let them talk...i know for sure they bought a few bitcoins also hahahaha
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:28:31 PM

Everybody remember this guy's name, so that we can swamp him with "I told you so"'s in 5 years.

I have a list of names of shit talkers on my facebook list who are going to get an earful one day.
That's why I started this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=326656
Sustainable

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:31:05 PM

No-one literally cares about this man, for me he has 0 credibility. But he is entitled to his opinion stop defacing his name. The opinion is terribly uninformed but I mean why post phone numbers and stuff please get a life.

Cloud Mining - Mine when your computer is not on. Mine if you don't have the appropriate hardware or operating system! Mine when you are asleep! ---> https://cex.io/r/1/Sustainable/0/
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:07:50 PM

Intrinsic value, subjective value, objective value...here's my question to Joe:  If somebody wants to buy bitcoins, and I have some I want to sell, how much should I sell them for?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 05:34:02 PM

When China dumps their dollars on the world market, it is over for the US dollar. En China is already pointing to a new world currency and my guess is that Bitcoin is one of the candidates.

no way. we can be happy if they are ok with bitcoin in the long run.

Ipsum

Activity: 62

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 05:40:07 PM

Weisenthal said that Bitcoin is intrinsically worth nada, and responds to those Bitcoin supporters that say USD by the same definition is worth nada, but Weisenthal then claims that USD is intrinsically worth something because the US government says it is worth something.

Now this is wrong in two aspects:

1) USD is worth something not because the US gov says so, but because China says so. The day China says that USD isn't worth anything, the USD will collapse.

That is a fundamental misunderstanding among the tinfoil hat crowd on this site.

USD is worth something because ultimately it's backed by an army that can insist you pay your property tax in USD, and because it's backed by the outflow of payments from the US government, which only pays its people and contractors in USD.
dominicwin

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 05:41:44 PM

Bitcoin made my 401k look like a joke in under a year. I bet this guy wouldn't deny a gift of bitcoin Wink

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
Savior

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 05:54:10 PM

Yep...and that norweigan guy too who had bitcoin sat in his new apartment from the money he made.  Grin

I'm sure that guy is kicking himself for not waiting and buying a BIGGER apartment. :-)

He only sold 20% of his coins, he is a believer Smiley
thecomputerscientist

Activity: 48

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:31:00 PM

That is a fundamental misunderstanding among the tinfoil hat crowd on this site.

USD is worth something because ultimately it's backed by an army that can insist you pay your property tax in USD, and because it's backed by the outflow of payments from the US government, which only pays its people and contractors in USD.

No way. The USD wouldn't have its value if China didn't approve it. This is because USD is currently the world reserve currency. U.S. army would not be able to invade China, because China has nuclear weapons. U.S. has 17 trillions of debt and if the creditors (for which China is one) wouldn't approve USD then U.S. will default, USD will collapse and U.S. gov would not be able to finance its army and therefore it wouldn't be able to protect its own nation, and then riots everywhere and the society collapses along with the USD.
inform

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 06:55:43 PM

i am say price be up 70$

how be price 300 not any trust [look for this guy yelow pres but this say joke buy crypt comunity know what be true future]

Now all gus/clowns/sceptics and etc is panic  Shocked

say how you telepatic know about this situation

P.S
i think who realy know now broke how i am and realy cry about this situations how bitcoins up 250$ 300$ maybe next price 400$

Who Know True
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:57:32 PM

You guys are really major assholes lol, got a small penis or smth? Otherwise I can't explain your jaleous and unmanly behaviour
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 07:03:35 PM

You guys are really major assholes lol, got a small penis or smth? Otherwise I can't explain your jaleous and unmanly behaviour
Explain why?
He's an idiot obviously or trying to push the price down. Same stuff with the recent news on how bitcoin is flawed and mentioning 51%, while this has been known for a long time.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
moderate

Activity: 98

nearly dead

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:05:20 PM

We all like bitcoin around here but you have to assume that raising from 265 to 324 in half a day for something that has no reason to spike like that is close to a joke. It would be just as crazy if it went from 265 to 206 in the same period, it is way too unstable.
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:09:31 PM

Explain why?
He's an idiot obviously or trying to push the price down. Same stuff with the recent news on how bitcoin is flawed and mentioning 51%, while this has been known for a long time.
Why are you afraid of what he says? You think those guys buy saying bad stuff about bitcoin will cause it to fail? That's kinda pathetic braw
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 07:10:18 PM

Why would someone be afraid of words?
Ugh this nonsense.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:47:57 PM

Intrinsic value, subjective value, objective value...here's my question to Joe:  If somebody wants to buy bitcoins, and I have some I want to sell, how much should I sell them for?

When the proudhons of the world point to this folly, the Weisenthals might do well to listen.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:49:26 PM

The USSR once had a rather large schlong too. Just sayin'

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
ixne

Activity: 211

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 10:37:05 PM

He's an idiot obviously or trying to push the price down.

Why don't you take your tin foil hat off and admit that he's probably just a guy with an opinion. The only thing that's "obvious" is that not everyone who doesn't like bitcoin is trying to destroy it or fix its price. If you think he can do anything to the price you're giving him way more credit than he probably gives himself.

Same stuff with the recent news on how bitcoin is flawed and mentioning 51%, while this has been known for a long time.

Known to who? 99.9999999% of the population hasn't been trolling this forum for the past two years, so it's probably news to them.

Why don't we all just let people have their opinions instead of acting like insecure children.  I suggest you start by taking this guy's personal information down, because actions like that hurt bitcoin far more than some talking head can.
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:17:34 AM

Why you posting the guys phone number?

That's wrong. Don't be a douche.
btway

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:53:15 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2015, 01:02:43 AM by btway

#
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 05:10:10 AM

Why don't you take your tin foil hat off and admit that he's probably just a guy with an opinion. The only thing that's "obvious" is that not everyone who doesn't like bitcoin is trying to destroy it or fix its price. If you think he can do anything to the price you're giving him way more credit than he probably gives himself.
Opinion or not, it doesn't mean that he's not being ignorant about it.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:49:14 AM

Hey guys quick thing:

The information about him that I posted is copy-paste direct from Business Insiders website bio. It's not like I dug up his phone number or anything. It's public info on the website, even the "you can call him at" is their words not mine. Indeed I hadn't noticed it at all when copy pasting, but I totally see how when reading in this light it looks like I was being vindictive. My intention was to poke fun with the meme, considering how he is a 'journalist' but calls bitcoin people "clowns". The phone number thing might look vindictive, but he posts it freely on the website as well. The whole bio thing is his words himself and free to see on business insider site.

In general I do not condone any form of 'doxing' or harassment. Certainly not over having an opinion. Although in his interviews, he has rather unpleasant things to say about 'us' bitcoiners.

more or less retired.
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:57:07 AM

Anyone who use the terms "intrinsic value" is a retard.
niniyo

Activity: 118

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:30:12 PM

No, the US domestic economy alone is not enough to keep the dollar valued where it is.  The government is insolvent, we all know that, and the economy consistently runs a trade deficit.  The US dollar keeps its value because it is de-facto world reserve currency and has been for decades.  When the rest of the world loses faith, the US *cannot* keep printing, nor can they maintain ZIRP, without huge devaluation of the dollar and subsequent hyperinflation.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 11:22:37 PM

Oh, looky. Wink

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-happens-if-you-criticize-bitcoin-2013-11

tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:36:48 PM

To resurrect an ancient meme:

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:52:30 PM

hahaha, well there you have it. :-)

more or less retired.
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:51:56 AM

Well, the guy is quite objective.
I also thought that Thimoty B. Lee's article at the Washington Post was childish, logically unsound and delusional: quite a joke actually.
I am longterm bullish on Bitcoin but Lee's argument is using all the wrong reasons for being bullish.
Maybe Joe Weisenthal should have called his article "Thimoty B. Lee's latest Bitcoin related blog post is a joke" or something like that.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 08:31:29 AM

To resurrect an ancient meme:

Yes, yes you are.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 01:23:19 AM

Does anyone have a video to that talk?

@tylerwinklevoss: Doing our best to convince @TheStalwart to come over from the dark side re: #Bitcoin cc #ignition2013 @winklevoss pic.twitter.com/9u5MVzfmFC

Grin

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:54:07 AM

Nice tweet.
The dark side lol.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)