Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:39:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: JOE WEISENTHAL calls bitcoin a joke. I'm laughing all the way to the bank.  (Read 7505 times)
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:47:57 PM

Intrinsic value, subjective value, objective value...here's my question to Joe:  If somebody wants to buy bitcoins, and I have some I want to sell, how much should I sell them for?

When the proudhons of the world point to this folly, the Weisenthals might do well to listen.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:49:26 PM

USD is worth something because ultimately it's backed by an army that can insist you pay your property tax in USD, and because it's backed by the outflow of payments from the US government, which only pays its people and contractors in USD.

The USSR once had a rather large schlong too. Just sayin'

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
ixne

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 10:37:05 PM

He's an idiot obviously or trying to push the price down.

Why don't you take your tin foil hat off and admit that he's probably just a guy with an opinion. The only thing that's "obvious" is that not everyone who doesn't like bitcoin is trying to destroy it or fix its price. If you think he can do anything to the price you're giving him way more credit than he probably gives himself.

Same stuff with the recent news on how bitcoin is flawed and mentioning 51%, while this has been known for a long time.

Known to who? 99.9999999% of the population hasn't been trolling this forum for the past two years, so it's probably news to them.

Why don't we all just let people have their opinions instead of acting like insecure children.  I suggest you start by taking this guy's personal information down, because actions like that hurt bitcoin far more than some talking head can.
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:17:34 AM

Why you posting the guys phone number?

That's wrong. Don't be a douche.
btway

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:53:15 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2015, 01:02:43 AM by btway

#
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 05:10:10 AM

Why don't you take your tin foil hat off and admit that he's probably just a guy with an opinion. The only thing that's "obvious" is that not everyone who doesn't like bitcoin is trying to destroy it or fix its price. If you think he can do anything to the price you're giving him way more credit than he probably gives himself.
Opinion or not, it doesn't mean that he's not being ignorant about it.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:49:14 AM

Hey guys quick thing:

The information about him that I posted is copy-paste direct from Business Insiders website bio. It's not like I dug up his phone number or anything. It's public info on the website, even the "you can call him at" is their words not mine. Indeed I hadn't noticed it at all when copy pasting, but I totally see how when reading in this light it looks like I was being vindictive. My intention was to poke fun with the meme, considering how he is a 'journalist' but calls bitcoin people "clowns". The phone number thing might look vindictive, but he posts it freely on the website as well. The whole bio thing is his words himself and free to see on business insider site.

In general I do not condone any form of 'doxing' or harassment. Certainly not over having an opinion. Although in his interviews, he has rather unpleasant things to say about 'us' bitcoiners.

more or less retired.
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:57:07 AM

Anyone who use the terms "intrinsic value" is a retard.
niniyo

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:30:12 PM

1) USD is worth something not because the US gov says so, but because China says so. The day China says that USD isn't worth anything, the USD will collapse.

That is a fundamental misunderstanding among the tinfoil hat crowd on this site.

USD is worth something because ultimately it's backed by an army that can insist you pay your property tax in USD, and because it's backed by the outflow of payments from the US government, which only pays its people and contractors in USD.

No, the US domestic economy alone is not enough to keep the dollar valued where it is.  The government is insolvent, we all know that, and the economy consistently runs a trade deficit.  The US dollar keeps its value because it is de-facto world reserve currency and has been for decades.  When the rest of the world loses faith, the US *cannot* keep printing, nor can they maintain ZIRP, without huge devaluation of the dollar and subsequent hyperinflation.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 11:22:37 PM

Oh, looky. Wink

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-happens-if-you-criticize-bitcoin-2013-11

tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:36:48 PM

To resurrect an ancient meme:

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:52:30 PM

hahaha, well there you have it. :-)

more or less retired.
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:51:56 AM

Well, the guy is quite objective.
I also thought that Thimoty B. Lee's article at the Washington Post was childish, logically unsound and delusional: quite a joke actually.
I am longterm bullish on Bitcoin but Lee's argument is using all the wrong reasons for being bullish.
Maybe Joe Weisenthal should have called his article "Thimoty B. Lee's latest Bitcoin related blog post is a joke" or something like that.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 08:31:29 AM

To resurrect an ancient meme:

Yes, yes you are.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 01:23:19 AM

Does anyone have a video to that talk?

@tylerwinklevoss: Doing our best to convince @TheStalwart to come over from the dark side re: #Bitcoin cc #ignition2013 @winklevoss pic.twitter.com/9u5MVzfmFC

Grin

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:54:07 AM

Nice tweet.
The dark side lol.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)