Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:57:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Silk Road 2.0 bad news for Bitcoin?  (Read 3321 times)
LouReed (OP)

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:02:54 PM

Just curious what your thoughts are on this subject. It seems that the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee is having a hearing later this month to discuss virtual currency, and the goal is to "develop thoughtful, nimble and sensible federal policies that protect the public without stifling innovation and economic growth".

Is this "new" Silk Road going to bring tougher regulations, or even an out right ban (which I doubt is even possible, but they may try) on Bitcoin in the USA?

http://www.hsgac.senate.gov/media/majority-media/chairman-carper-statement-on-the-unveiling-of-the-so-called-silk-road-20-website

"Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Today, Senator Tom Carper (D-Del.), Chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, released the following statement on the launch of the Silk Road 2.0:

“This new website – launched barely a month after Federal agents shut down the original Silk Road -- underscores the inescapable reality that technology is dynamic and ever-evolving and that government policy needs to adapt accordingly. Rather than play ‘whack-a-mole’ with the latest website,  currency, or other method criminals are using in an effort to evade the law, we need to develop thoughtful, nimble and sensible federal policies that protect the public without stifling innovation and economic growth. Our committee intends to have that conversation – among others - at our hearing this month on virtual currency.”

Chairman Carper and Dr. Coburn’s committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs began a formal inquiry into virtual currencies in April 2013. In August 2013 Chairman Carper and Dr. Coburn wrote to the Departments of Treasury, Homeland Security, and Justice, as well as the Securities and Exchange Commission, Commodities Futures Trading Commission, and the Federal Reserve."
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 02:20:54 PM

A ban on virtual currencies? How the hell are they gonna do that?

No, they feel insulted by the SR2.0 and the actions against SR2.0 will be much harder and complicated then the first one. And this time they gonna hang all sellers and buyers instead of a few.
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 02:32:27 PM

No, they feel insulted by the SR2.0 and the actions against SR2.0 will be much harder and complicated then the first one. And this time they gonna hang all sellers and buyers instead of a few.
They can't do that.
Small note: this isn't a virtual currency, rather an digital one.

Explain...so WoW gold is also not virtual? Btc are just zero's and ones, nothing more, nothing less.
safeminer

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:47:53 PM

Silk Road 2.0 is no news, there was black market reloaded and tons of other onion sites, the name silk road is just what the public knew.
Would not surprise me if this new silk road was some kind of FBI trap to steal bitcoins and arrest honest business men !
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:01:56 PM

Are they that desperate to setup traps and scoop every single bitcoin left?
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 03:03:13 PM

It could be a trap to damage the btc value in the future. Not just only for the stuff.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:06:19 PM

So how many of you have written your representative about bitcoin? I would suggest that your efforts writing them will yield more fruit than posting here. The regulations that evolve around bitcoin will reflect your inaction, not the tyranny of government.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:39:35 PM

Is this "new" Silk Road going to bring tougher regulations, or even an out right ban (which I doubt is even possible, but they may try) on Bitcoin in the USA?

The statement by the Chairman is surprisingly positive, in my view.  I think it shows an appreciation for the technology they're up against here.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
rayfloyd

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:29:55 PM

[...]
[...]

Explain...so WoW gold is also not virtual? Btc are just zero's and ones, nothing more, nothing less.

virtual
adjective
2. not physically existing as such but made by software to appear to do so.
"virtual images"
VS
digital
adjective
1. (of signals or data) expressed as series of the digits 0 and 1, typically represented by values of a physical quantity such as voltage or magnetic polarization.

tl;dr: if you say that bitcoin is "virtual" you believe it is "fake" money, or has a "fake" value.

TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 04:32:52 PM

Trying to ban Bitcoin because of SR 2.0 makes as much sense as trying to ban cash because drug dealers use that...... doesn't mean some politicians wont try.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:37:11 PM

[...]
[...]

virtual
adjective
2. not physically existing as such but made by software to appear to do so.
"virtual images"
VS
digital
adjective
1. (of signals or data) expressed as series of the digits 0 and 1, typically represented by values of a physical quantity such as voltage or magnetic polarization.

tl;dr: if you say that bitcoin is "virtual" you believe it is "fake" money, or has a "fake" value.

Bitcoin does not physically exist.
It is a virtual currency. It is also a digital currency. The two do not contradict each other.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 05:35:36 PM

Well he said playing "whack a mole" isn't the solution so I don't see them directly targeting Bitcoin.  It's just political posturing so they can make it seem like they're doing something in an area that they simply cannot control.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 05:52:13 PM

If I was a BFL customer, I would be paranoid.  Benjamin Lawsky subpoenaed BFL and probably has the order book.

The shittiest thing the Government could do is go down the list and seize assets one by one to make an example.  The majority of the American sheeple won't care.  "It's good for 'murica to get dat drug money off teh series of tubez!!1...duurrrrr"

'murica.  foam finger #1.
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:56:02 PM

I don't know if this is bad or not for BTC but I'm glad to see the site come back up, these politicians need to know they can't control the information like they want to.
spacecaptain

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:16:30 PM

I find it funny that people think that BTC is not real currency. "Ohhh, it is 1s and 0s, so it is not real".
But yeah, your little dollar bill is real, right? It is not only ink on a piece of paper that the government can issue and destroy at their will, right?

Can BTC crash and become nothing? Sure! It can happen if people stop using it.
But the same applies to any currency in the world. If people choose to stop using Dollar, Euro, Yen, etc, then the same thing will happen.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:23:07 PM

rofl thankyou for my lol of the day. the government is going to be thoughtful, nimble and sensible and non stifling. Maybe while they are at it they can train some elegant, graceful, fleet-footed, nimble, dainty, dancing hippopotami. Grin

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
indianplayers

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:26:04 PM

I wouldn't touch that site with a 10 foot pole. It will bring back the "bitcoins are for drugs" people again.
btcforall777

Activity: 235
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:54:17 PM

i just love it when these talking heads in the media make these blankett statements.

1. bitcoin begins togo mainstream

2. in an unrelated event, the US economy begins to descend into the abyss taking the US dollar with it

3. bitcoin explodes

4. government tries to intervene in digital currency

5. mass riots, protest,  violence and revolt

If they dont stop it before #2, they will never stop it. and i say they cant!

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 10:03:04 PM

i just love it when these talking heads in the media make these blankett statements.

1. bitcoin begins togo mainstream

2. in an unrelated event, the US economy begins to descend into the abyss taking the US dollar with it

3. bitcoin explodes

4. government tries to intervene in digital currency

5. mass riots, protest,  violence and revolt

If they dont stop it before #2, they will never stop it. and i say they cant!

oh they could stop if they wanted. it would just mean that they would have to go get jobs.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Alty

Activity: 714

RISE Project Manager

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 10:16:07 PM

It will give all the doubters and haters in the press something to complain about, so in that sense it is bad news.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: