Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 09:29:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help with downloading blockchain using bitcoin-qt  (Read 444 times)
bitterbug (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:30:23 PM

I'm using bitcoin-qt on Ubuntu to download the blockchain and it keeps reverting to 79% complete. I can't run it 24 hours a day for several days for fear my ISP will throttle my bandwidth which I think they have already started doing.

I have been downloading it for several months now and it seems I can't seem to get past 90%. My connection speed is not the quickest and the bitcoin price since I started downloading the blockchain has tripled!!

What is the advantage to having a downloaded blockchain? Is it necessary? Does it download in blocks so that if one doesn't complete it restarts next time you start the syncing process?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:40:55 PM

I can't run it 24 hours a day for several days for fear my ISP will throttle my bandwidth which I think they have already started doing.
Is this a joke or what?

This said...

You only need the blockchain if you want to run bitcoin-qt and you want to act as a full node, it is not required of course. If you only use the client sometimes, i suggest you another client like Multibit.

Each block is downloaded in some seconds or even less, please check the number of total blocks when the client is running, it should increase, please remember that number and the next time you start the client check if it decreased or not.

Enira

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:34:12 PM

Download MultiBit, it uses merkle trees so you don't have to download the entire blockchain.
birkomester

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:42:10 PM

Use another client like multibit armory or electrum
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 05:25:02 PM