Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 05:50:16 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple non-techy way to reasonably secure btc  (Read 454 times)
2chov (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:55:13 PM

Right, first off I'm not a techie.  Every guide I see to securing bitcoins has masses of complex instructions.

I narrowly missed the inputs.io mess, by getting the coins out quickly into coinbase, but inputs.io has left me very, very nervous about online wallets and I want to get at least some offline.  I know fine well that there are excellent guides out there to properly securing a wallet.  I don't understand them, don't have a spare computer (or even a printer) to do it all properly.

So what I've done is I've gone to bitaddress.org.  Generated an address and private key.  Screenshotted the page and saved the screenshot as a file on my laptop. Is this now a secure address that I can send some btc to so long as I don't lose the private key file?  As far as I can see the only risk is someone hacking my computer and stealing that file, the private key has never been typed, so no keylogging issue.  Yes?

Next how do I secure that file because I am a fuckwit, who cannot be trusted with bits of paper and computers sometimes die/get hacked/get corrupted. 

Can I store it securely online somehow? (I get the feeling the answer is going to be no here, but worth an ask)
Put it on a usb and delete the file from my computer? (hmm, may lose the usb, I told you I am a fuckwit)
Etch the private key into a wall in my house?
Commit the private key to memory through sheer willpower?

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 05:01:38 PM

So what I've done is I've gone to bitaddress.org.  Generated an address and private key.  Screenshotted the page and saved the screenshot as a file on my laptop. Is this now a secure address that I can send some btc to so long as I don't lose the private key file?  As far as I can see the only risk is someone hacking my computer and stealing that file, the private key has never been typed, so no keylogging issue.  Yes?

Bad move - using bitaddress.org (online) is risky enough but then also saving screenshots of your private keys on your laptop means that you are just going to have to "hope" that no-one else is going to find them.

Key logging is a major problem but it isn't the only one. The only way to really safely secure your bitcoins is to generate your keys *offline* (and best to do that with a computer that *never* connects to the internet again).

For non-techies I think that the Trezor (or some similar) device might be the best answer.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
2chov (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 05:11:31 PM

Just download an offline wallet. They'll come with instructions, everyone can use them Tongue

Ah - ok, so offline wallets are the way to go...like Electrum and stuff, yeah?.  Never really looked into them.

<Runs off to google>
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 05:13:37 PM

Just download an offline wallet. They'll come with instructions, everyone can use them Tongue

Ah - ok, so offline wallets are the way to go...like Electrum and stuff, yeah?.  Never really looked into them.

<Runs off to google>

No, Armory.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 05:14:45 PM

No, Armory.

Armory may be the way to go in a while but currently unless you are using a beta it requires a *huge* amount of memory (and bitcoind).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: