Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:00:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining computing crisis  (Read 1813 times)
giodegas (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 05:39:46 PM

Where is BTC mining heading?

Is mining still "democratic" and "accessible" to the masses?

Interesting reading: http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/networks/bitcoins-computing-crisis

G

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:29:58 AM

That's a Litecoin commercial.

"Gold mining is getting too hard. Let's mine tin instead!"
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:56:32 AM

Yes Litecoin is the way to go...
fizzmine

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:04:02 PM

Ultimately I think there's room for multiple cryptos to serve a solid role in commerce and trade in the future.  Litecoin has the advantage of faster transaction confirms, the PPCoin proof of stake is interesting, but it doesn't take away from the strength of the Bitcoin network due to being the original cryptocurrency.  A lot of alts are junk, but there are some interesting feature sets out there.

If anything though, the growing inability for the average person to acquire bitcoins easily is a good thing for its legitimacy as a currency.  Currency should be difficult to acquire or else it looses value.  If someone magically found a way to mine gold with a CPU tomorrow, the price would plummet.

As long as it doesn't become centralized, I see no reason that requiring a large upfront cost to mine bitcoin is a problem.  Who knows, maybe Intel will start throwing in a few dozen GH worth of Bitcoin ASIC into a future 14nm process CPU design.  Would be almost trivial for them to do and would give their customers a little bit of "free" income while further increasing the security of the network.

cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:28:24 PM

Bitcoin mining is for people that have $5K+ to gamble on maybe turning a profit, or the big mining companies who obviously always profit by having customers front all the money for their hashpower and can then decide when to ship their products after they mined enough coins on them.

Litecoin mining is much more democratic as ASIC is several years away from Scrypt, so GPUs are still the only way to go. But the margins are brutal and GPU mining is a lot of work for very very little profit, its honestly much better now to just buy Litecoins than spend hours tweaking configs and replacing worn out GPU fans to turn a tiny profit of a handful of coins per card.
Badonkadonk

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:29:30 PM

Ultimately I think there's room for multiple cryptos to serve a solid role in commerce and trade in the future.  Litecoin has the advantage of faster transaction confirms, the PPCoin proof of stake is interesting, but it doesn't take away from the strength of the Bitcoin network due to being the original cryptocurrency.  A lot of alts are junk, but there are some interesting feature sets out there.

If anything though, the growing inability for the average person to acquire bitcoins easily is a good thing for its legitimacy as a currency.  Currency should be difficult to acquire or else it looses value.  If someone magically found a way to mine gold with a CPU tomorrow, the price would plummet.

As long as it doesn't become centralized, I see no reason that requiring a large upfront cost to mine bitcoin is a problem.  Who knows, maybe Intel will start throwing in a few dozen GH worth of Bitcoin ASIC into a future 14nm process CPU design.  Would be almost trivial for them to do and would give their customers a little bit of "free" income while further increasing the security of the network.

i think the world has to accept bitcoin first if any altcoin is going to succeed.
and i doubt there will be a major need for a altcoin when ppl are starting to accept bitcoin.

but thats just my 2 cents.

An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:19:06 PM

i think the world has to accept bitcoin first if any altcoin is going to succeed.
Would guess the same as well. Assuming Bitcoin is succesfull there might be a need for a "better" Bitcoin 2.0, whichever one that might be then, in the future, but if it fails miserably its pretty unlikely anyone will want a "better failure".
Badonkadonk

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 05:12:52 PM

Would guess the same as well. Assuming Bitcoin is succesfull there might be a need for a "better" Bitcoin 2.0, whichever one that might be then, in the future, but if it fails miserably its pretty unlikely anyone will want a "better failure".

they can always make changes to the bitcoin protocol as long as the miners accept them / updates the clients.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: