Bitcoin Forum
September 09, 2024, 10:31:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-07 Forbes: Federal Reserve Economist On Bitcoin: Small But Growing Pheno  (Read 869 times)
Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 06:27:03 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/07/federal-reserve-economist-on-bitcoin-small-phenomenon-but-growing/

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 06:59:09 PM

Velde ultimately gives Bitcoin a thumbs up: “it represents a remarkable conceptual and technical achievement, which may well be used by existing financial institutions (which could issue their own bitcoins) or even by governments themselves.”

Almost too positive Smiley

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3080

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:02:33 PM

That's actually a fairly good article. I think Kashmir Hill has become motivated to put some more thought into writing about Bitcoin, just a shame that it takes increasing acceptance and authoritative head nods for her to do so.

She takes the opportunity to point out the Bitcoin-centric view of the dollar's lack of inherent value, but disappointingly fails to provide the contrasting critical points of the Fed's view of other aspects. She also fails to provide the Bitliever view of why Bitcoin does have inherent value.

Where it comes to her analysis of the Fed's criticism of waiting 6 confirms for BTC transactions of large amounts, she accepts the Fed's reasoning as to why this is so, where she could have provided a better explanation herself. She does compare it favourably with legacy electronic payments though, so that's not so bad. She also repeats the typical misnomer that the only reason to use Bitcoin is to avoid regulations, taxes and the DEA. She knows herself from her own touted "Living a week on Bitcoin" article that this isn't the whole picture, and should know that that picture is steadily becoming broader. And of course, the Dark Web black market users do so out of ideological reasons, not to avoid the police or the DEA. Using the established routes of buying drugs is a better way to keep drug use private. Not a hint of a mention of Bitcoin's use as a price inflation hedge, which is after all the reason to speculate on future Bitcoin value in the first place.

B-

Vires in numeris
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 11:20:45 PM

That's actually a fairly good article. I think Kashmir Hill has become motivated to put some more thought into writing about Bitcoin, just a shame that it takes increasing acceptance and authoritative head nods for her to do so.

She takes the opportunity to point out the Bitcoin-centric view of the dollar's lack of inherent value, but disappointingly fails to provide the contrasting critical points of the Fed's view of other aspects. She also fails to provide the Bitliever view of why Bitcoin does have inherent value.

Where it comes to her analysis of the Fed's criticism of waiting 6 confirms for BTC transactions of large amounts, she accepts the Fed's reasoning as to why this is so, where she could have provided a better explanation herself. She does compare it favourably with legacy electronic payments though, so that's not so bad. She also repeats the typical misnomer that the only reason to use Bitcoin is to avoid regulations, taxes and the DEA. She knows herself from her own touted "Living a week on Bitcoin" article that this isn't the whole picture, and should know that that picture is steadily becoming broader. And of course, the Dark Web black market users do so out of ideological reasons, not to avoid the police or the DEA. Using the established routes of buying drugs is a better way to keep drug use private. Not a hint of a mention of Bitcoin's use as a price inflation hedge, which is after all the reason to speculate on future Bitcoin value in the first place.

B-

Oh, come on, don't be so negative. Kashmir Hill is a great asset to the bitcoin community and you should appreciate her great articles despite them being targeted at people outside this forum.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:28:11 PM

B-

Oh, come on, don't be so negative. Kashmir Hill is a great asset to the bitcoin community and you should appreciate her great articles despite them being targeted at people outside this forum.

This is me being positive about her work. She's written some badly researched, highly biased, superficial articles in the past, and she's getting paid very good money at Forbes, such as Forbes journalists do. I don't believe she is an asset to the community, yet. But as I say, she is switching on gradually over time, so she does provide a useful reflection of the changing attitudes of a certain type of individual, someone pretty ignorant! But that's not a bad thing, maybe that's the idea, that she's secretly playing the smart game.

Vires in numeris
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:17:10 AM

How do you like the way she's writing articles that promote coin tainting? Great asset to the Bitcoin community? She's a great asset to the people who want Bitcoin and it's value gone.

Vires in numeris
Arvicco (OP)

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 03:23:57 AM

How do you like the way she's writing articles that promote coin tainting? Great asset to the Bitcoin community? She's a great asset to the people who want Bitcoin and it's value gone.

We want Jon Matonis back! Forbes, give us our daily Matonis fix!

Arvicco (OP)

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 03:26:22 AM

Yes, THIS is how articles on this subject SHOULD be written: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=332025.0

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:53:34 AM

We want Jon Matonis back! Forbes, give us our daily Matonis fix!

I know Matonis will disparage this fungibility inhibiting crap. I wonder what Tony Gallipi or Mark Karpeles (i.e. other Big Names at the Bitcoin Foundation) would say though, never heard much out of Tony that wasn't at least indirectly promoting Bitpay. Their businesses depend solely on Bitcoin; would they comply with a scheme linking real identities to addresses to add to the blacklist?

Vires in numeris
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 07:28:00 AM

Yeah, she could should have discussed fungibility instead of the first paragraphs' blabla.

My opinion on wheather it is good to talk about taint or not you can read here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=332887.msg3577554#msg3577554

ɃɃ
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: