Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:51:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we worry about what the Chicago Federal Reserve said?  (Read 2245 times)
AgeraS (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:51:20 PM

Should bitcoin become widely accepted, it is un-likely that it will remain free of government intervention, if only because the governance of the bitcoin code and network is opaque and vulnerable. That said, it represents a remarkable conceptual and technical achievement, which may well be used by existing financial institutions (which could issue their own bitcoins) or even by governments themselves.

http://www.chicagofed.org/digital_assets/publications/chicago_fed_letter/2013/cfldecember2013_317.pdf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:07:08 PM

I didn't read the whole thing, but I think one of the best things about btc is that it's teaching people that we don't need the violence of the state of have money.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:19:11 PM

It seems they don't feel threaten by bitcoin at all since they believe they can create their own bitcoin at will  Roll Eyes
This is pretty bullish IMO

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:23:19 PM

It seems they don't feel threaten by bitcoin at all since they believe they can create their own bitcoin at will  Roll Eyes
I wonder if building a national cryptocurrency is more or less complicated that creating a health insurance portal web site?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:27:49 PM

Should bitcoin become widely accepted, it is un-likely that it will remain free of government intervention, if only because the governance of the bitcoin code and network is opaque and vulnerable. That said, it represents a remarkable conceptual and technical achievement, which may well be used by existing financial institutions (which could issue their own bitcoins) or even by governments themselves.

http://www.chicagofed.org/digital_assets/publications/chicago_fed_letter/2013/cfldecember2013_317.pdf

He's not making all that much sense.  The bitcoin code, as an open source project, is the opposite of opaque.  And for that reason it's rather more unlikely that governments could intervene in the code-base, without the network and anyone looking at it noticing.  The government obviously can easily intervene where bitcoin interfaces with the traditional financial system.  Maybe that's what he's talking about, but it sounds like he thinks the former.  Am I missing something here?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:30:38 PM

Nah, they aren't even understanding how bitcoin work lol. It is like when that politician said "the internet is a serie of tubes"  Cheesy

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 10:14:18 PM

i guess he means, that the gov will give out more guidelines and laws about crypto. this will happen of course.

can also be a good thing in the end because bigger investors will step in.

valiron

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:23:20 AM

Hi guys,

As someone posted in another forum, I worry more about this part of the conclusion:

Should bitcoin become widely accepted, it is unlikely that it will remain free of government intervention, if only because the governance of the bitcoin code and network is opaque and vulnerable.

The Achilles heel of bitcoin is with no doubt the bitcoin foundation. They already did send a signal subpoemating them for no reason...

I know that if the foundation does something that we don't like we can fork...etc...but for that you need to have enough miners well coordinated...and that they don't kill the fork with a 51% attack...it is not obvious to me that you can fork easily with the actual protocol if you have a powerful ennemy...
philip2000uk

Activity: 276

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 07:57:07 AM

they dont own the world so wouldn't hacking from them be hacking the world and illegal

Leather girls identity film2 on youtube and website link i accept bitcoin Smiley
cho

Activity: 155

Boar with me

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:29:17 AM

He's not making all that much sense.  The bitcoin code, as an open source project, is the opposite of opaque.  And for that reason it's rather more unlikely that governments could intervene in the code-base, without the network and anyone looking at it noticing.  The government obviously can easily intervene where bitcoin interfaces with the traditional financial system.  Maybe that's what he's talking about, but it sounds like he thinks the former.  Am I missing something here?
[/quote]

Bankers don't understand open source. In their mind open source is something opaque.

1KEWxTkXPgfB9MdHJcfyoVnfHRnYEHQJPw
cho

Activity: 155

Boar with me

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:47:38 AM

That Chicago Fed article is very good and I would recommend reading it.

There is a wonderful gem inside :
Although some of the enthusiasm for bitcoin is driven by a distrust of state-issued currency, it is hard to imagine a world where the main currency is based on an extremely complex code understood by only a few and controlled by even fewer, without accountability, arbitration, or recourse.
The Fed said this. I'll print that and hang it on the wall.

1KEWxTkXPgfB9MdHJcfyoVnfHRnYEHQJPw
techstorm2

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:01:17 AM

What govt IT system has ever been successful?

would you trust your coins in a govt created system. Grin

Dime 7Q3cZtyJemmE8pJsrYgX24mHnkqZX6M6hP
BTC 18vbvovBeM5ZTZqR5ZWAy75EXE7qTNipuo
Mooncoin 2QgyivUMa7Zun6oPdxeE1yry1aNp5hqrDb
LTC Lg3UYGCAe3Tb146PiMqeGNLR7bnjdM447d
Doge DPd1XejW8TabJu5gfjyKnuQYQ9Vzw1anXN
jaime

Activity: 339

División de Poderes s.XXI es Descentralización

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 10:15:42 AM

Bankers don't understand open source. In their mind open source is something opaque.

This is exactly what he says.

... it is hard to imagine a world where the main currency is based on an extremely complex code understood by only a few and controlled by even fewer  

This is contradicted by himself at the end...

That said, it represents a remarkable conceptual and technical achievement, which may well be used by existing financial institutions (which could issue their own bitcoins) or even by governments themselves

What he really says is that bitcoin has no

accountability, arbitration, or recourse.

At the end that is his only concern. What he doesn't understand is that Bitcoin really has "accountability, arbitration, or recourse" but it's always an option.

fixxi.net

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:25:02 PM

I wonder if building a national cryptocurrency is more or less complicated that creating a health insurance portal web site?

Let's build one !
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 03:00:25 PM

HealthCoin

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: