Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:56:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] WTS 7.5 BTC for $ in the Mail  (Read 2267 times)
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:23:45 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 06:43:03 PM by SaltySpitoon

Hello, while I know its has its faults, I've found that shipping cash via USPS can be fairly safe if done correctly. It is legal to send cash in the mail, and you can even insure cash if sent registered mail or possibly overnight express. I buy and sell precious metals for both Bitcoin and Cash, and when I accumulate Bitcoins,  I need to convert them to USD to buy more metals to deal, and paypal/bank transfer doesn't cut it most of the time. If I want to go into a local shop and pick up some coins, I need cash.

So if you are interested in working something out, I'd be happy to use escrow, and leave me a response here or pm me.

I've got around 7.5 BTC currently to sell, in any increments you wish, I just ask that purchases be larger than $20, else its not really worth messing with.

= $100

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:26:22 PM

I can give you 2700, all I have.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:28:16 PM

I can give you 2700, all I have.

Pmed
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:13:00 PM

Still Available.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:29:08 AM

I'm off for the night. If anyone is interested pm me, and I'll get back to you in the morning.
Paul Troon

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:13:57 AM

I'd like to know more about how sending cash in the mail works in general.  How are the buyer/seller protected by escrow?

There seems like no way for the escrow agent to validate that the buyer of BTC actually sent the cash, unless the escrow agent receives the cash and forwards it to the seller.  This can create a certain counter party risk from the escrow agent.

At least with cash-in-the-bank transactions there is some receipt given by the teller.

It sounds like SaltySpitoon has some experience doing this so I'm curious how fraud is prevented.

Bitrated user: paultroon.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:13:30 PM

I'd like to know more about how sending cash in the mail works in general.  How are the buyer/seller protected by escrow?

There seems like no way for the escrow agent to validate that the buyer of BTC actually sent the cash, unless the escrow agent receives the cash and forwards it to the seller.  This can create a certain counter party risk from the escrow agent.

At least with cash-in-the-bank transactions there is some receipt given by the teller.

It sounds like SaltySpitoon has some experience doing this so I'm curious how fraud is prevented.

Well, fraud can be prevented a few ways. Registered mail is the best option, because its the safest shipping wise, and can be insured. When doing registered mail, the post office employee has to physically watch you seal up what you say you are sealing up in the package, so you can't commit insurance fraud. If you are shipping via registered mail, you can't just ship someone a wad of construction paper, with a tracking number and say it was cash, because the post office wont allow you to do so.

I've done a few smaller cash trades which didn't require registered mail, and we just did overnight shipping, but for larger sums of money, it is certainly worth doing everything right.
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:42:43 PM

Well, fraud can be prevented a few ways. Registered mail is the best option, because its the safest shipping wise, and can be insured. When doing registered mail, the post office employee has to physically watch you seal up what you say you are sealing up in the package, so you can't commit insurance fraud. If you are shipping via registered mail, you can't just ship someone a wad of construction paper, with a tracking number and say it was cash, because the post office wont allow you to do so.

I've done a few smaller cash trades which didn't require registered mail, and we just did overnight shipping, but for larger sums of money, it is certainly worth doing everything right.

That's not true at all. Registered mail doesn't have to be inspected to be sent. I don't know where you got that information, but it is very wrong.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:00:34 PM

That's not true at all. Registered mail doesn't have to be inspected to be sent. I don't know where you got that information, but it is very wrong.

I use registered mail on a regular basis for high value metal sales, as thats the only way to insure silver bullion if its being shipped. You have to package it in front of the post office employee, and they make sure that the package is sealed correctly, and you are shipping what you said you are shipping.
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:04:39 PM

I use registered mail on a regular basis for high value metal sales, as thats the only way to insure silver bullion if its being shipped. You have to package it in front of the post office employee, and they make sure that the package is sealed correctly, and you are shipping what you said you are shipping.

Is that maybe because of the insurance you are adding to it that they have you do that?

http://about.usps.com/publications/pub370/pub370_012.htm

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:34:27 PM

- snip -
- snip -

If you don't trust your escrow agent, you shouldn't be using them as an escrow agent.

The idea behind escrow is to use someone you trust as an intermediary in a transaction with someone you don't trust.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:36:59 PM

If you don't trust your escrow agent, you shouldn't be using them as an escrow agent.

The idea behind escrow is to use someone you trust as an intermediary in a transaction with someone you don't trust.

I think the issue he was talking about, is what if I sent the coins to escrow, they sent the cash, and instead of sending me cash, they sent me some newspaper clippings that are roughly the same weight as the cash would be. Then I would be saying that I didn't recieve the money, and the person buying the Bitcoins with have tracking information that said delivered. So the escrow agent would have to decide who gets the Bitcoin.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:38:39 PM

I think the issue he was talking about, is what if I sent the coins to escrow, they sent the cash, and instead of sending me cash, they sent me some newspaper clippings that are roughly the same weight as the cash would be.

There seems like no way for the escrow agent to validate that the buyer of BTC actually sent the cash, unless the escrow agent receives the cash and forwards it to the seller.  This can create a certain counter party risk from the escrow agent.
stex2009
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:34:30 PM

I can buy a few. let me know. how about cash deposit in your bank ?
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:27:56 PM

I can buy a few. let me know. how about cash deposit in your bank ?

The problem is, I use USAA, and the nearest bank is about 1,000 miles from me. That and, I'm not a fan of banks (for obvious reasons) and because I'm a precious metal trader which requires cash, bank wire, or check to buy or sell metals. My bank's wire transfer procedure takes literally hours, and I can't withdraw money straight from them due to location.

I actually don't especially need the cash anymore, as it wont be here in time for the coin show I was going to tomorrow, but I'll still leave the offer on the table.
Phenoxide

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:09:40 PM

PM sent
D357@RG

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 05:18:05 AM

So if you are interested in working something out, I'd be happy to use escrow, and leave me a response here or pm me.

I can arrange cash into most any bank account, anywhere in the world in under 24 hours hours, usually 5-7 hours. Direct to your metals supplier perhaps.  Rate dependent, I am very interested.
Franktank

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:17:35 AM

PMed
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:18:32 AM

Thanks for your pms everyone, but I think I'm set for now. I may have more Bitcoins to sell in the nearish future, as I do business from cash > metals > BTC and I need to repeat the cycle.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:00:43 AM

reopened for the time being.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: