Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 04:31:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When is it a good idea to change your wallet address?  (Read 504 times)
Odrec (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:26:30 PM

If I understand correctly it is good to change your address every now and then to increase security. When is it recomended?

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:28:59 PM

For the sake of privacy, much more so than security, you should generate a fresh receiving address for every single transaction.
Odrec (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:38:18 PM

For the sake of privacy, much more so than security, you should generate a fresh receiving address for every single transaction.

Every transaction!? Wow that's a lot specially if you use regularly faucets. But ok thanks for the tip!

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3258

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:22:00 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2013, 11:33:20 PM by odolvlobo

The privacy problem is this: when you tell someone your public address, they can now associate you with that address, and monitor how much you have (at that address) and who you are sending money to (if they also have that information). They can also give the information to people or organizations that want to track people and their money.

I don't think there is a lot to be gained by using an address for every transaction since that just replaces the need to associate one address with the need to associate multiple addresses. Furthermore, when you spend the money at those addresses, there is a good chance that they will be used together in a single transaction, and thus be associated with each other and linked to you as a result.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Odrec (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:26:40 PM

Ok, thank you!

mobilephone92

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:33:21 PM

I use a few different wallet addresses, but if I'm ever receiving coins I generate a new wallet, pretty much so I can keep better track on stuff myself.

In terms of a new wallet for every single transaction, seems overly secure! (But maybe that is the best way and I'm just lazy!)
icem3lter

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:34:35 PM

If I understand correctly it is good to change your address every now and then to increase security. When is it recomended?

Just keep changing addresses so you can identify every payment. For example for particular faucet I use one unique address, and changing it everytime I request payment

Ricke

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:42:30 PM

The only reason to get a static Bitcoin address is to accept Bitcoin donations while being stuck on static plaintext/HTML or to brag with your shiny unique vanity Bitcoin address.

Verkaufe Bitcoin gegen Bargeld (Wuppertal und Düsseldorf, Handel im öffenlichen Raum, z.B. bei McDonalds), privat zu privat und völlig anonym. Konditionen im Thread; Individualabsprachen möglich
(Ich mache mit Erstkontakten nur kleinere Handel, weiteres ja nach Kurs, Vertrauen, mein Bedarf, Ermessen und Situation)
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:29:54 AM

The privacy problem is this: when you tell someone your public address, they can now associate you with that address, and monitor how much you have (at that address) and who you are sending money to (if they also have that information). They can also give the information to people or organizations that want to track people and their money.

I don't think there is a lot to be gained by using an address for every transaction since that just replaces the need to associate one address with the need to associate multiple addresses. Furthermore, when you spend the money at those addresses, there is a good chance that they will be used together in a single transaction, and thus be associated with each other and linked to you as a result.
Most major BTC clients support coin control, now, where you select the inputs, minimizing or eliminating the risk of adding "You Taint" to other addresses. This can prevent any association with you, so long as you aren't mixing coins from, say, MtGox, with coins you earned or purchased pseudonymously. I mean - I guess it's up to everyone to decide, but I think once you start using Bitcoin as more than a novelty, you maybe don't want a government or private corporation (like MtGox itself) to be able to find out every single person and business you've transacted with. Idunno where you live, but my government doesn't even need a search warrant for most digital information, so maybe I'm paranoid.

Anyway - in most clients, the implementation is super-easy for the end-user, where you just scroll through a list of addresses you've received coins at, and select the ones you want to send from.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: