Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:34:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Too late to buy?  (Read 6286 times)
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:22:31 AM

Yeah, you're probably right. If I managed a $2 trillion portfolio, I do not think I would dump it all in Crypto. That said, the fact it's regulated by the SEC doesn't really help me sleep at night.

The U.S. Dollar may be back by the US military,but even the military can't protect from stupid self-destructive decisions & policies. The writing is on the wall when it comes to US supremacy, and we've done it to ourselves.

All in all, don't put all your eggs in one basket would be my advice for the typical personal investor.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:25:01 AM

BTC is too high and volatile, and  it's based on nothing more than pure gambling.

Rather, you should invest in Stocks if you have much money right now (Twitter shares surge 73% on market debut). There is much less risk...
Stock prices are also based on gambling but also on investors' expectations of the future value of a company.

Its one thing to advise people to sell BTC. But when you combine this with the advice to buy the stockmarket, this goes down as the worse post of advice I have EVER seen on this forum.

And that says a lot.

I don't recommend people to invest their money in stocks, bitcoin, gold, poker or whatever, but for investors that have a lot of funds available and want to make extra money, the stockmarket is much safer and it's retegulated by the SEC.

Let's be honest, bitcoin is an illusion like the dollar and have potential of reaching zero today or tomorrow, but the U.S. dollar is backed by the might of the US military. It's pump and dump nothing more, nothing less.

The stock market is a horrible investment.

Most wealthy investors do not invest in the stock market. There are much better and safer options. 

Bitcoin is more risky than the stock market, but much much much much much much much much less corrupt and scammy.
Wary (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:38:04 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2013, 03:50:06 AM by Wary

I believe it was $30-$80 in march...so how was it $13 in april?
In bitcoincharts ( log scale, 1 year, weekly bars), in December there are 4 line-thin weekly barss, at level 13$. I took it as the base level. Then, in January, the parabolic growth starts.

There is similar period in September, 5 weeks of line-thin bars, at 140$, after which the current parabolic growth starts. So I use 13 and 140 as bases for measuring bubble-burst levels.

To everybody: Thanks! I'll buy, straight after I get the fiat. Promise! Smiley

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:41:27 AM

Too late to buy? To early to buy.

The second great Bitcoin buying opportunity, if you missed being a "super-early adopter" is when the Winklevoss ETF becomes a thing. With a sizable investment together with your broker's provided leverage, depending on Bitcoin's price increase until then, its possible to get the exposure henceforth only available to people who got single digit coins.

derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:44:34 AM

BTC is too high and volatile, and  it's based on nothing more than pure gambling.

Rather, you should invest in Stocks if you have much money right now (Twitter shares surge 73% on market debut). There is much less risk...
Stock prices are also based on gambling but also on investors' expectations of the future value of a company.

Well, yeah, unlike something with backing it could go to single digits overnight....

But, its unlikely. Very. Unlikely. So, quit QQing and accept your losses. I have and I'm much happier taking them then sitting here watch the ship set sail:)

Are you bullish now Derp?  Or do you still believe bitcoin is just a little niche, destined to go to zero at some point in the near future?

Oh, sure, I still believe it goes to near-zero. I was always bullish "mid term", I just didnt expect it so soon. I was still hoping for some more short term drops. Maybe they are still possible, but for now I'm bullish.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:07:57 AM

Well, yeah, unlike something with backing it could go to single digits overnight....

But, its unlikely. Very. Unlikely. So, quit QQing and accept your losses. I have and I'm much happier taking them then sitting here watch the ship set sail:)

Are you bullish now Derp?  Or do you still believe bitcoin is just a little niche, destined to go to zero at some point in the near future?

Oh, sure, I still believe it goes to near-zero. I was always bullish "mid term", I just didnt expect it so soon. I was still hoping for some more short term drops. Maybe they are still possible, but for now I'm bullish.

Where do you think it goes once the ETF opens and institutional investors and 401k (U.S. tax free retirement accounts) can invest openly and legally in Bitcoin?

How high does it go before it goes to zero?

I mean, SecondMarket brought 15 million into the market since September, which happen to accompany a $175 rise.

What happens when a billion comes into the ETF? (A billion being REALLY conservative based on hedge fund and retirement portfolios.)
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 05:30:12 AM

Its never too late to buy in an upwards market. The trick is to set a stop loss order at your buy price. Then if it goes down its like nothing happened, but it was better than not acting at all and you had a chance to win.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 05:34:18 AM

Its never too late to buy in an upwards market. The trick is to set a stop loss order at your buy price. Then if it goes down its like nothing happened, but it was better than not acting at all and you had a chance to win.

Just make sure your stop loss order is not on MtGox.  Cool

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:12:11 AM

I just picked up another coin. It's never too late to buy bitcoin  Smiley
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:09:07 AM

The Twitter shares were only offered to insiders and banks before launch.  That kind of value is not offered to the public.

Lets assume Bitcoin is a failure and is only used for drug deals.  It still will be around forever and its value will rise to well over $1000 as buying heroin online is by far the safest way to get it. 

There are no stocks that have the same degree of opportunity.  Buy and hold Bitcoin.
barbs

Activity: 854

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:40:39 AM

None of the exchanges offer a stop loss, which is why my trader friends laugh at me all the time

How can I get a stop loss going?
rabsie

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 09:18:07 AM

Bitfinex offers stop, limit, market and fill or kill.

I find it works very well and allows me to speculate on price rises with borrowed funds and leverage without ever holding usd.
barbs

Activity: 854

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 09:58:09 AM

None of the exchanges offer a stop loss, which is why my trader friends laugh at me all the time

How can I get a stop loss going?

Yes they do.
Look at the top right corner of your browser's windows : there is a small red cross there.
Click on it.
Wait a few months.
Profit.

Youre right, if I had followed this after april i'd have 3x the coins.
Maza

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:00:14 AM

Yes its too late, the rise has been way too fast. Have some patience.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:31:59 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2013, 10:56:44 AM by superresistant

Its one thing to advise people to sell BTC. But when you combine this with the advice to buy the stockmarket, this goes down as the worse post of advice I have EVER seen on this forum.
And that says a lot.
I don't recommend people to invest their money in stocks, bitcoin, gold, poker or whatever, but for investors that have a lot of funds available and want to make extra money, the stockmarket is much safer and it's retegulated by the SEC.
Let's be honest, bitcoin is an illusion like the dollar and have potential of reaching zero today or tomorrow, but the U.S. dollar is backed by the might of the US military. It's pump and dump nothing more, nothing less.

US dollar is only backed by the believe that the planet resources are infinite and the US economy will grow forever and never collapse. This is bullshit.
On the other hand with Bitcoin, you don't have to trust any government, politics or corporation. Bitcoin is just maths, it cannot lie.
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:38:48 AM

OP, just wait a few hours and enjoy the show. Make the decision to buy or not, and when to buy, after you'll see more.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:58:13 AM

OP, just wait a few hours and enjoy the show. Make the decision to buy or not, and when to buy, after you'll see more.

What are you talking about ?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:25:21 AM

You know that's not really true. The dollar is going to have an extremely hard time holding it's value if the military has to put a gun in everyones face to force them to use it and not something else, like bartering pumpkins.

The more force you need to use to make someone believe, the less likely they are to actually believe in it.

more or less retired.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:02:35 PM

I buy whaterver I can afford to below 1000 !
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 4569

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:20:05 PM

LOLOLOLOLOL

I try not to feed the trolls, but that was so hilarious I just had to laugh.

"Backed by the US military" was pretty funny too.

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: