Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 06:42:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Too late to buy?  (Read 6279 times)
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:23:15 PM

BTC is too high and volatile, and  it's based on nothing more than pure gambling.

Rather, you should invest in Stocks if you have much money right now (Twitter shares surge 73% on market debut). There is much less risk...
Stock prices are also based on gambling but also on investors' expectations of the future value of a company.

Its one thing to advise people to sell BTC. But when you combine this with the advice to buy the stockmarket, this goes down as the worse post of advice I have EVER seen on this forum.

And that says a lot.

I don't recommend people to invest their money in stocks, bitcoin, gold, poker or whatever, but for investors that have a lot of funds available and want to make extra money, the stockmarket is much safer and it's retegulated by the SEC.

Let's be honest, bitcoin is an illusion like the dollar and have potential of reaching zero today or tomorrow, but the U.S. dollar is backed by the might of the US military. It's pump and dump nothing more, nothing less.

For sure, you shouldn't buy any bitcoins.  I am however wondering what you are doing here on the forums if this is your opinion about bitcoin.  Are you perhaps talking your book?
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 01:28:29 PM

Backed by the might of the US military? One huge dollar dump from China on the worldmarket and the USA is nothing more worth then a few islands of greece.

And let us play with bitcoin. You do that with your army patches, we with virtual money. Do we condemn you?
Carl Junior

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:05:20 PM

It's never too late to buy. At least for now, when prices are rising. But will this always be the truth?
I don't think so. Does bitcoin get stronger with all the money pumped in, or someone just want's us to believe that? What must happen for bitcoin supporters and large hoarders to lose faith? Maybe a sudden drop to 1% of current value, after NSA's supercomputer 51% attack?
Luzio

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:09:03 PM

It is just greed that is driving the price now, not a natural growth. Just wait, have some patience. This is Bitcoin, there are going to be dips and crashes. And if not, there will be better cryptocurrencies in the future that might even make Bitcoin obsolete, plenty of opportunities to come.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:12:38 PM

I'd rather play the bitcoin game than the stock market game, personally I'm not willing to take part in a rigged economy set up and 'controlled' by central banks and other elite financial institutions who think they own and control the world. The stock market is in for a big crash soon, they are pretty much at their top now and can't be pushed much higher anymore. Bitcoin however hasn't even begun to blossom yet. You can wait for a big correction to buy in, but there is a very good chance that bitcoin will be worth many multiple times of todays value in 2 years from now. Invest what you can miss for at least 2 years, and don't stress over short term charts.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
billington.mark

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 02:26:19 PM

I'd rather play the bitcoin game than the stock market game, personally I'm not willing to take part in a rigged economy set up and 'controlled' by central banks and other elite financial institutions who think they own and control the world. The stock market is in for a big crash soon, they are pretty much at their top now and can't be pushed much higher anymore. Bitcoin however hasn't even begun to blossom yet. You can wait for a big correction to buy in, but there is a very good chance that bitcoin will be worth many multiple times of todays value in 2 years from now. Invest what you can miss for at least 2 years, and don't stress over short term charts.

+1

"don't stress over short term charts" - easier said than done! especially this last week!

BTC - 1MarkBCmVn3yp1SB9RZZ7VfqJzkpV8Hmdo
BitMessage - BM-GtZkeAbmKGs77FEoigm9TmsQBSfvMB3N
djalexr

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:38:42 PM

I put a load into bitcoin in the summer just after the big crash (nothing major in the grand scheme of things). I'd done my research, and still wanna support what is shaping up to be a revolutionary way of thinking about money. At the end of the day, invest in bitcoin if you believe in its potential. If you really believe in it, now is as good a time as any. The only situation in which this is "too late" to buy is the one where all the intelligent people that post in this forum and are actively working on bringing bitcoin to the masses were misguided...but not only that, it will be the situation where the dinosaurs that run the current system manage to surpress it...against all logic, reason and humanity. I think that's worth betting against. Mankind has made its fair share of mess ups, but this is one where i'm personally betting the SUPERIOR technological system will win through! Regardless of all the political bullshit that will doubtless come its way. "Too late to buy" questions will have more relevance in 5-10 years I reckon.

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:47:03 PM

Better to fret about how much to sell, than how much you could have bought Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
wormbog

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:56:01 PM

Rather than trying to time the market, buy a little each week/month. You'll participate in growth and be able to take advantage of dips.
Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:16:59 PM

in April when btc hit $266 and crashed, those who bought for more than $140 were cursing for months.

I bet there are plenty who would gladly pony up for coins at $266 today.

This thing has not even begun to crawl yet.
izzotheschizo

Activity: 112

Mentally ill computer nerd trying to come up.

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:18:26 PM

thanks for the advice guys just bought in 1.5 btc at 328.31 at coinbase while my ticker gadget says its at 357.  they charge me $5 fee but it looks like they are going lose over $45 on this transaction, do you think it will still go through?

Bitcoin is the opportunity of a lifetime. http://youtu.be/n7m4JSDkIp4
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:24:40 PM

thanks for the advice guys just bought in 1.5 btc at 328.31 at coinbase while my ticker gadget says its at 357.  they charge me $5 fee but it looks like they are going lose over $45 on this transaction, do you think it will still go through?

You're probably quoting from MtGox last. The rates you said are the rates that are live. I doubt they are losing anything on these rallys.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
izzotheschizo

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:26:45 PM

How do they do it?

izzotheschizo

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:28:02 PM

I bought $40 worth from them on saturday and its now worth $70.  this is so awesome.

derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:30:58 PM

BTC is too high and volatile, and  it's based on nothing more than pure gambling.

Rather, you should invest in Stocks if you have much money right now (Twitter shares surge 73% on market debut). There is much less risk...
Stock prices are also based on gambling but also on investors' expectations of the future value of a company.

Well, yeah, unlike something with backing it could go to single digits overnight....

But, its unlikely. Very. Unlikely. So, quit QQing and accept your losses. I have and I'm much happier taking them then sitting here watch the ship set sail:)

Are you bullish now Derp?  Or do you still believe bitcoin is just a little niche, destined to go to zero at some point in the near future?

Oh, sure, I still believe it goes to near-zero. I was always bullish "mid term", I just didnt expect it so soon. I was still hoping for some more short term drops. Maybe they are still possible, but for now I'm bullish.

Where do you think it goes once the ETF opens and institutional investors and 401k (U.S. tax free retirement accounts) can invest openly and legally in Bitcoin?

How high does it go before it goes to zero?

I mean, SecondMarket brought 15 million into the market since September, which happen to accompany a $175 rise.

What happens when a billion comes into the ETF? (A billion being REALLY conservative based on hedge fund and retirement portfolios.)

-Up, lol

-Now? I think either it reverses before $500 or ~$1200

-Yup, which is why I was unprepared for this. There is almost no money invested in bitcoin as much as people want to think its supported at these prices; but something like that comes out and suddenly, it might be possible.

-A billion, hehe.. uh, maybe 100k or something? But IDK that a billion would ever come in. If it goes to 10k suddenly potential gains are shrinking quite a lot, and risk the opposite. There are still people with tens of thousands of coins who could profit selling at $100, $50, $10...

wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:39:24 PM

now it the time to buy more than ever, the train is leaving the station
izzotheschizo

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 05:13:43 PM

what does it mean to go-zero?

Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:01:34 PM

Coinbase gets coins from a variety of sources and/ or exchanges, while your ticker is probably from MtGox which is almost always higher than all other exchanges.
xephyr

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:53:53 PM

In April it started from 13.4$, went to 266$ (base x 19.8 ) then dived to 55$ (base x 4.1).
Now it started at 140$ (you can see it clearly at year's chart with 1-week bars).

How deep will be the dive this time?

Can we expect that the proportions of peak/dive will be the same as in April, in log scale?
That is if peak will be, say, half of April's, (i.e. base x 9.9), then the dive will be half of April's too (i.e. base x 2.05).

Then, if we'll have peak at $600 (x 4.3 from the base 140), the dive will be to 280$.
(I'ts  140$ * (exp(ln(4.1) * (ln(4.3)/ln(19.8 )))))
For the peak of 1000$ the dive is 350$   (140$ * (exp(ln(4.1) * (ln(7)/ln(19.8 ))))).
For the peak of 1600$ the dive is 440$   (140$ * (exp(ln(4.1) * (ln(11.4)/ln(19.8 ))))))

So, if you:
-have some fiat
-expect the proportionality
-expect the peak at $600

Then, instead of buying for 310$ now, you should bid for somewhere above 280$ and just wait.

In a bull market it is never too late to buy ... unless you buy at the very top ... but it is prudent to wait until others are selling heavily before buying to get the best entry price. There is an old saying 'buy when there is blood in the streets'. Perhaps wait for two, three down days before buying.
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:56:54 PM

what does it mean to go-zero?

Current market value: $350/BTC @ MtGox

If it "goes to zero"

Market value: $0/BTC @ [Significant places]
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print