Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:46:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin thief techniques  (Read 2968 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:51:35 PM

Noone expects you to have a string of multiple words this long

It isn't that "nobody expects" it is that the keyspace is so large you could tell the attack.  BTW my password is 4 random words all lower case please try to crack it and the permutations make it difficult.

The issue is that humans are often bad at random so 4 random words has to be 4 RANDOM words not hey let me think of 4 words randomly.   The problem with the later is why the English language may have thousands of words the common vocabularly (not every word you ever knew but the words most likely for a human to "think up randomly") is much smaller.  Throw in some selection bias and you can end up with a lot less entropy.

Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:00:04 PM

tacohomonymblueparabola is going to be my new password...

Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:10:55 PM

And then dictionary attack became a thing...
4 random english words aren't very strong as password.

4 RANDOM words is a very strong password.   Dictionary attacks aren't looking for random words, they are looking for common words, phrases, known used passwords, variations of words (p@ssw0rd), phrases from books/movies/etc.

A dictionary of all 4 combinations of english words is well useless.

Hm, when I said random, I meant randomly selected from the dictionary with no permutation, just like in the picture.
correct horse battery staple

Ok ~180,000 words in the English language, so there are 180,000^4 different variations: 1,049,760,000,000,000,000,000
That's a lot, but a lot of magnitudes less than needed to crack a normal Bitcoin address.
Furthermore you don't need to crack a specific Bitcoin address, if there are multiple people using it the chance to successfully steal Bitcoins increases.

Where am I wrong?
Scooby903

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:22:51 PM

#2~         if that's your "short but unique" then everything is clear
<picture>

And then dictionary attack became a thing...
4 random english words aren't very strong as password.

Noone expects you to have a string of multiple words this long

Everyone's using Xxxxxxx* these days

Also good luck guessing my wallet's pass with dictionary

hint: it's 6 meaningful words  ~28 chars total, plus one word is used in possessive case

DoNotFuckWithPrintMule'sBTCS

That's my guess  Tongue
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:07:50 PM

Ok ~180,000 words in the English language, so there are 180,000^4 different variations: 1,049,760,000,000,000,000,000
That's a lot, but a lot of magnitudes less than needed to crack a normal Bitcoin address.
Furthermore you don't need to crack a specific Bitcoin address, if there are multiple people using it the chance to successfully steal Bitcoins increases.

Where am I wrong?

Well 180,000^4 = 2^70  Most passwords have far far far far less than 70 bits of entropy.
While it is harder than brute forcing a private key (which is impossible) it is beyond what is computationally feasible with any reasonable cost/time constraint.

The fact that multiple people might be using the same password doesn't matter in this case.  We aren't talking about a brain wallet.  The attacker would need a copy of the wallet.dat and attempt to brute force that wallet individually. The QT client uses a random 64 bit salt when hashing the passphrase which means there is no precomputation or shared attack possible.  Each potential password has to be salted and check against a single wallet file (which the attacker needs to have access to first).  The QT wallet also employs key strengthening by hashing the password many tens of thousands of times so instead of the attacker getting to use 1 hash = password attempt it is 56,000 hashes = 1 password attempt.

So putting that all together.
2^70 possible passwords.
Assume 2^16 hashes per password so 2^70 * 2^16 =  2^86 hashes needed
A high end GPU can attempt ~1B SHA-2 hashes a second.

2^86 / 1000^3 / 60 / 60 / 24 / 365 =  2,453,426,321 GPU years.   So if you had 1 billion GPUs you would have a 50% chance of brute forcing a single password on a single wallet in a year.

For the record most people probably would use a smaller dictionary so to be safe I would use more words (an additional one or two words adds significant security while still being memorable) but even still it is probably more secure than 90% of the passwords people "think" are safe.  That was the whole point of the cartoon.  The complicated garbage password people try to come up with actually has very little entropy.  A purely random password "h23j2hF@xl-hd$ij" has about 6.5 bits of entropy per symbol so to acheive 70 bits of entropy would require 11 char/smbols.  In the real world most user's password that they think are strong have much much less entropy.  NIST estimate is the average user select 8 digit password with upper, lower, number and symbols has about 18 bits of entropy. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_strength

Diceware is another example of a method to randomly pick a password by rolling dice and comparing it against a much smaller word list.  The words are chosen to avoid words which may be hard to remember, have alternate spellings, may be mixed with other words, etc.  Even with a much smaller word list diceware is ~12 bits of entropy per word.  6 or 7 words combined with random salt and key hardening is impossible to brute force.

http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

rbdrbd

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 12:45:45 AM

@PrintMule et al:

I suppose my password could be brute forced, I hadn't intended any great level of security here.  That is why there was only .11BTC to be had.  My own previous attempts at cracking a wallet (my own, of course) weren't all that successful, but the program I had only did a few attempts per second.  I had to seed it with some pretty good guesses or have a 2-character password to get in.

I don't want to reveal the password, but it was on the order of "malleus4" or "centrifugal9" or "rhapsody3".  Oddly enough, PrintMule, the phrase "correct horse battery staple" appears in the address of the guy who got ripped for 300BTC.   

This leaves the questions of:

1.  What malware finds and sends wallet.dat files?  I suppose a decoy wallet might be the thing?  And then rename  your actual wallet  "familyvacation.jpg"?

2.  (the one bugging me the most)  What is the .00006BTC for?

3.  Why wait?  I realized TraderCoin was a virus/keylogger (if that is the source of this theft) and cleaned it up, but if I was more concerned or had more BTC, I would have transferred them out immediately.  The TraderCoin keylogger thing was 10/24/13, almost two weeks earlier.

The .00006BTC could have something to do with a Mastercoin transaction.

See the spec at https://sites.google.com/site/2ndbtcwpaper/ for more info.

Although neither of those addresses have any history at http://mastercoin-explorer.com/
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 12:54:48 AM

One guy got cleaned out of over 300BTC, here is his link from the explorer.

https://blockchain.info/address/1JwSSubhmg6iPtRjtyqhUYYH7bZg3Lfy1T

This is an address I recognize, it is the brainwallet address when "correct horse battery staple" is used as the passphrase.

Anything sent to it is guaranteed to be swept away in short order.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
superdork

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:18:18 AM

#2~          if that's your "short but unique" then everything is clear

UPD: also this

fatchickgiveshead,y?causeshehas2..duh

ok, so this is 37 characters, 8 words, 4 symbols

would this have hi entropy?

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: