Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:09:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-04-03] Why Coin Age Matters in Cryptocurrency  (Read 140 times)
Chase (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 03:57:09 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2018, 09:07:40 PM by Chase

Why Coin Age Matters in Cryptocurrency

When most people hear about the 1600 cryptocurrencies and ICO tokens listed on CoinMarketCap, they assume that number includes every one ever launched. This assumption may come after they scroll down to the end and notice hundreds that have no marketcap and/or no volume. The bottom of the list is often referred to the graveyard – a place where abandoned coins go to die. The real graveyard however, is wherever they go after they are removed from the listing. At least while they are on CoinMarketcap, for better or (usually) worse, there is a marker of their demise.

CoinMarketCap routinely removes coins from their site that are no longer active or have no exchange to trade on. A list of 1250+ cryptocurrencies launched to date was compiled by CryptoDatabase in March 2015, and posted on Bitcointalk [1]. However, according to this Historical Snapshot on CoinMarketcap, they had only 525 currencies listed on March 22, 2015. Delisted coins could account for some of this difference, but there are likely other factors such as those that never met the criteria to get listed in the first place.

A more current complete listing is provided by Coinranking[2], showing there has been at least 3,073 coins launched. The last 32 pages are dead coins with a marketcap of $0. It still doesn’t include every coin that has been released or at least attempted to do so. There is a long list of shady projects where the funds raised disappeared early enough that they may not be listed anywhere. Bitcointalk is littered with eager-beaver attempts to start a new cryptocurrency that never make it past a few posts or pages.

Continue reading - https://dnotesedu.com/2018/04/why-coin-age-matters-in-cryptocurrency/

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dE_logics

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2018, 04:17:14 PM

When I first saw the headline, I thought the coin collecting magazine CoinAge was getting into crypto lol.

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████▄▄
▄██████████▄▄▄    ▀▀▀███████▄
▄██████████████████▄▄▄   ▀▀█████▄
████████████████████████▌  ▄███████
██████████████▀▀    ▀▀██▀ ▄███▀ ▀████
███████████▀▀  ▄▄ ▄▄     ▄█████▄  ▀████
███████████  ▄▄ ▀█████▄ ▄█▀  █████  ▀████
▄██████████   ▀████▀  ▀███     █████  ▀███▄
██████████▌  ▄████▄  ▄█▀▀██▄   ▐█████  ████
██████████   ▀▀ ▀████▀    ██    ██████ ████
██████████▌      ▄███▄  ▄██▄   ▐██████H████
▀██████████▄   ▄█▀  ▀████▀▀▀   ███████████▀
██████████▀ ▄█▀    ██▀▀██   ▄████████████
███████▀ ▄███▄           ▄█████████████
█████▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▀▀▀▄▄▄██▄
             █     ▀██▀
            █
         ▄▄▄█▄▄▄
 ████▄▄███████████▄▄████
▐██████▀▀███████▀▀██████▌
 ▀████    █████    ████▀
  ████▄  ▄█████▄  ▄████
  ▀███████████████████▀
   ▀████▄▀█████▀▄████▀
     ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████████
          █████████
          █████
          █████
      █████████████
      █████████████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
Gotottack

Activity: 882
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 04:01:25 AM

Yeah, the subject is quite inappropriate with the body of the text.

Anyway, I see this as beneficial to the market because all investors and prospective investors would know which coins are leading in terms of its activity in the market. With such, we are able to figure which coin is worth investing in at the moment.

I hope people, in general, will be more involved in terms of helping the market reach its full potential rather than merely relying on unverified data that is basically aimed to disenfranchise the growing number of ICO investors.
Chase (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 12:36:35 PM

When I first saw the headline, I thought the coin collecting magazine CoinAge was getting into crypto lol.

Lol. I've never heard of the magazine, but they obviously know what they are doing - there's value in some older coins.  Wink

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

Chase (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 07:49:53 PM

Yeah, the subject is quite inappropriate with the body of the text.

Anyway, I see this as beneficial to the market because all investors and prospective investors would know which coins are leading in terms of its activity in the market. With such, we are able to figure which coin is worth investing in at the moment.

I hope people, in general, will be more involved in terms of helping the market reach its full potential rather than merely relying on unverified data that is basically aimed to disenfranchise the growing number of ICO investors.

"Yeah, the subject is quite inappropriate with the body of the text." - How did you come to that conclusion??

How long the coin has been in existance (coin age) matters when 90% of ICO tokens and probably the same amount of new cryptocurrencies (coins) are predicted to fail. As stated in the article:

What is the point of this trip down memory lane?

The information above reveals just how short the lifespan can be of most cryptocurrencies and ICOs. It’s difficult to tell exactly how many of these projects have been started, but the number is looking like it may be closer to 5,000. While some of them never made it to an exchange or caused financial losses, they wasted valuable time that could have been spent working on something worthwhile. New coins and tokens carry an extreme amount of risk, and it seems as though it is only the gamblers, speculators, and fraudsters that pitch them, pump them, and dump them, that are enjoying any of the rewards.

Reputation must be earned, and it takes time to prove yourself. As an investor, it would be wise to check out the cryptocurrencies that have been around for a few years and find out why they’re still alive when so many others have failed.

https://dnotesedu.com/2018/04/why-coin-age-matters-in-cryptocurrency/

-------

"I hope people, in general, will be more involved in terms of helping the market reach its full potential rather than merely relying on unverified data that is basically aimed to disenfranchise the growing number of ICO investors."

I have spent the last 4 years helping people learn about cryptocurrency investing, and have written the majority of the new material at DNotesEDU.com. Part of that responsibility is to make sure the new investor is aware of the risks. I work with a team that believes in the long term potential of cryptocurrencies that actually build something of value. In the last 4 years we have never asked the community for a dime (+ no ICO), and all our projects/properties have been self funded, including DNotesEDU. We have multiple revenue generating properties, new technology, a partnership with Geneca for software development, and 25% ownership in an incorporated company that will manage all these properties and provide intrinsic value to the currency. Our cryptocurrency is priced at a fraction of these new ICOs. How could I, in any good conscience, ever recommend a project that raises $100 million with nothing more to show that a whitepaper and a promise? These projects are priced as though they were already running a successful business, which leaves very little upside for investors.  

I am not trying to disenfranchise any sector of people from certain 'investment' opportunities - quite the opposite - through education, I am trying to protect them from themselves.

If you would like to see how many red flags your cryptocurrency or token has, see how it holds up under this scrutiny - https://dnotesedu.com/2018/02/cryptocurrency-ico-screening-guide-for-investors/

Let me know how you make out...  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: