Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:29:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Signature Spamming Is Out of Control [3+ Year Legit Necro Thread]  (Read 4216 times)
Seraphim401

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:59:08 PM

How about using the correct forum (meta) to complain.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:00:14 PM

Complaints about specific signatures can be directed toward theymos. Also, this should be moved to Meta...

netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:10:52 PM

No, the point is that you have a personal preference that you feel everyone else should be forced to adhere to.

It goes both ways. This is like cigarette smokers complaining that non-smokers are restricting their freedom. Or those in a small area who believe it is their right to turn on the radio, TV, while someone else is, for example reading. I prefer the scenary but my eyes read every damn billboard and road sign. Perhaps I am abnormally distractable or have a lower tolerance or a greater value to my own mind-space.  I personally dislike the majority of visual advertising and am willing to sacrifice the forest for the trees. Anyway, the OPTION to disable images is a nice compromise.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:19:48 PM

The reason to ban them is that the forum should be spam free.

The only people that don't want controls are the spammers.

interesting choice of words.  i was under the impression that these were advertisements, not spam.  and, as has been pointed out, they can be turned off in your forum settings.

i have no banners, nor am i ever likely to - but honestly, i find the increasing use of them to be indicative of the health of Bitcoin.  the more of them there are - presumably mostly paid for in some way - the more satisfied i am with Bitcoin's adoption and eventual acceptance into the mainstream.

surely you couldn't object to that?
BGL

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 06:08:39 PM

The signatures don't really bother me.

The only thing i've adblocked here is some ones avatar.. just couldn't stand to look at it anymore.

BTW thanks for noting the options to turn off sigs.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 06:10:49 PM

The signatures don't really bother me.

The only thing i've adblocked here is some ones avatar.. just couldn't stand to look at it anymore.

let me guess...

the little insect that crawls around?  Cheesy
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 06:12:04 PM

Agree that images do not belong in signatures, and they should be limited to max 3 lines of text or something...

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 07:03:20 PM

Agree that images do not belong in signatures, and they should be limited to max 3 lines of text or something...

If your opinion was in the majority, the option to place images in sigs would not be available. Think about it.
Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 07:47:06 PM

If your opinion was in the majority, the option to place images in sigs would not be available. Think about it.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

TheBitMan

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 07:49:12 PM

I find everyones signatures pretty interesting.
LeFBI

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 07:55:45 PM

The signatures, especially in this forum, are important. This forum is #1 place for all newbies of the bitcoin community. Hiding all shops/deals/whatever in some subforum is a bad idea. The average internet users are lazy, don't expect them browse through subforums. To get the bitcoin economy going, signatures(even the ones with images) are important and needed to advertise. Maybe limit the image height and forbid .gifs, but please don't ban signatures.
Anyone who feels annoyed by them can easily hide them in their profile settings:

Profile -> Look and Layout Preferences -> Don't show users' signatures.
BGL

Activity: 60

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 10:46:50 PM

The signatures, especially in this forum, are important. This forum is #1 place for all newbies of the bitcoin community. Hiding all shops/deals/whatever in some subforum is a bad idea. The average internet users are lazy, don't expect them browse through subforums. To get the bitcoin economy going, signatures(even the ones with images) are important and needed to advertise. Maybe limit the image height and forbid .gifs, but please don't ban signatures.
Anyone who feels annoyed by them can easily hide them in their profile settings:

Profile -> Look and Layout Preferences -> Don't show users' signatures.

^ Exactly.

I meant to mention this earlier. I've discovered a lot of new services via peoples signatures. I'm sure many others have too. I wouldn't have discovered 1/2 of them w/out the signatures. Obviously there needs to be a limit on size/etc. I've seen other forums that allow much larger images and that really does cross a line. The margins allowed here seem fine.

ALL of this being said the forum does need one more thing. That's a portal page. (maybe there is one & i just don't know of it?) It's annoying to have to go to <x> divisions of the forum to see what/if/any new posts there are in whichever threads. With the amount of moving of threads going on, this is needed desperately. I lose track of moved threads (that may still be getting posts) pretty much every day.
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 10:59:00 PM

I cannot agree more with these two guys above me.
Gonna put my image for btcbalance.net back on its place.

BTCrow

Activity: 243

BTCrow.com

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 12:53:49 PM

I also discovered a lot of useful services with signature banner / text. I think that advertising has become a very great way to learn about interesting services involving bitcoins. It take like 1 second reading them and if you're not interested you continue to browse the thread otherwise you click on them and see if the service fit for you.

I don't think at all this is annoying, not saying that because of my sig, but I agree that if people don't wanna see them it should have an option to disable images in signature.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:05:03 PM

I don't think at all this is annoying, not saying that because of my sig

your sig is perfect... perfectly clear and visible without being a huge in-your-face display.

again, my preference would be to have an 'ignore users' option, that'll fix 'em.
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 02:27:39 AM

ALL of this being said the forum does need one more thing. That's a portal page. (maybe there is one & i just don't know of it?) It's annoying to have to go to <x> divisions of the forum to see what/if/any new posts there are in whichever threads. With the amount of moving of threads going on, this is needed desperately. I lose track of moved threads (that may still be getting posts) pretty much every day.

This already exists; it's right at the top of your screen! Now it's perhaps not as useful as you might think, since this forum gets MANY MORE POSTS than most other forums. But it is there.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 02:58:40 AM

Hey Mods,

The signature spamming is getting out of control on the forum. It's not the majority but it is getting to the point it is adding a definite spam feel to the threads as well as making it difficult to read. I submit to you a prime example. The signature has super bright colors and three different spam ads in the signature. The subject is pure BS to draw in people.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=32755.0

Can we please modify the TOS or limit the spam ability in the signature boxes?

Seriously? There are too many colors, it's hurting my eyes (in a huckleberry hound voice). I find asinine threads to detract from the experience much more than any banner in someone's sig.
LokeRundt

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 10:22:58 AM

lame appeal to an authority figure to enforce your preferences on the community.

You can use ad block for specific banners you find offensive, get over it.

Hippy Anarchy
*shrug*
BitcoinEXpress (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:14:17 AM

This has got to go down for an entry in to the legit "Championship Necro Threading" catagory.

This thread clearly shows signature spamming was an issue 3+ years ago and still is today but at least it is a little better these days. Believe it or not, Sig Spamming was actually worse back then. You could pretty much put anything you wanted in sigs back then.

Hopefully in three years this thread will not *still* be relevant.

~BCX~
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:24:10 AM

The change to activity worked well to cut out a lot of the spam. Another change might be needed now.
Others can help by reporting to moderators when they see spam posts.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: