Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:01:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning! Do not use Coinbase.com Scam Artists!  (Read 14306 times)
gamer4156 (OP)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:02:10 AM

Still Waiting a reply from Coinbase.com.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gamer4156 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:07:22 AM

Still no reply.
almostmike

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:07:56 AM

I'm still waiting on a reply from support too, but it's only been around 48 hours for me.
ajw7989
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:25:58 AM

they need to work on support for sure. Just be patient the few problems I had with them were annoying but all solved to my content. Try pming Olaf on this forum to expedite it
freeAgent

Activity: 240

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:37:13 AM

I got a message that they whitelisted me for future transactions, but there was no mention of the transaction I tried to make on 10/31.  That message came yesterday, and I replied saying I'd prefer to have the Bitcoin I ordered, but if they refuse to sell it to me, then they need to refund my purchase.  So far I've had no response from that and they still have my money (now over a week after it was ACH debited from my account).  Today was a Veteran's Day, so it's possible they've initiated a transfer of funds back to my account (which I still think is scammy...don't blame me for the price of Bitcoin rising and you not covering yourselves, Coinbase) but without communication I really have no idea what they're doing.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:09:16 AM

they need to work on support for sure. Just be patient the few problems I had with them were annoying but all solved to my content. Try pming Olaf on this forum to expedite it

PMd him last friday, no response yet.
freeAgent

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:15:04 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 03:32:23 PM by freeAgent

I got a message that they whitelisted me for future transactions, but there was no mention of the transaction I tried to make on 10/31.  That message came yesterday, and I replied saying I'd prefer to have the Bitcoin I ordered, but if they refuse to sell it to me, then they need to refund my purchase.  So far I've had no response from that and they still have my money (now over a week after it was ACH debited from my account).  Today was a Veteran's Day, so it's possible they've initiated a transfer of funds back to my account (which I still think is scammy...don't blame me for the price of Bitcoin rising and you not covering yourselves, Coinbase) but without communication I really have no idea what they're doing.

Well, I finally got an ACH deposit back in my account from Coinbase today (technically still pending).  So, despite the fact that they feel I'm sufficiently non-high risk enough to "whitelist" future transactions, they don't want to honor my first one, which I was using to test the waters.  I'll be sticking with other services from here on out and closing that account.  I don't have any faith in Coinbase and they just held my money for over a week (or used it to purchase the Bitcoin I ordered and sold it to someone else).  If Coinbase is looking to lose customers, they're doing a great job.  I'm closing my account.
MtFox

Activity: 24

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:39:05 PM

Give them a second chance they could feel bad if they had to see you go especially when they already whitelisted your account.
freeAgent

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:19:53 PM

Give them a second chance they could feel bad if they had to see you go especially when they already whitelisted your account.

They should feel bad.

I wanted to order a Bitcoin when they were around $200 and wanted to check out Coinbase at the same time.  I opened an account and gave them all the information they asked for.  They took my money, and then didn't fill the order.  They held my money for over a week, during which time the price went up almost 75%.  The opportunity cost of that transaction was huge.  I did no additional verification with Coinbase to warrant being whitelisted for future transactions, which I view as an implicit admission that their system for detecting "high risk" transactions is at least partially bullshit.

When I want to make interest-free loans to someone, I go to Kiva.org, not Coinbase.
gamer4156 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:05:33 AM

Still no reply.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 01:20:46 AM

I want to thank Olaf for resolving my order of 9.25 Btc. for the original price.

I also want to thank you for whitelisting my account. This will also make it possible for me to start selling bitcoins on the Big Island of Hawaii to other people interested in bitcoin as I now have a quick and easy way to refill my wallet.

Thank you Coinbase.

Cheesy
gamer4156 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:20:50 AM

I want to thank Olaf for resolving my order of 9.25 Btc. for the original price.

I also want to thank you for whitelisting my account. This will also make it possible for me to start selling bitcoins on the Big Island of Hawaii to other people interested in bitcoin as I now have a quick and easy way to refill my wallet.

Thank you Coinbase.

Cheesy

This is good news! I however received an email saying I was whitelisted for Future transactions with no mention of the transaction at hand. I hope they resolve the few of us with this issue and are not shown to be PREFERENTIAL in their business.
freeAgent

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:44:39 AM

I got several PMs this evening from Olaf where he said that he reason my transaction wasn't put through was that I didn't ask for it.  I did.  In my first message to customer support, I simply asked why I was "high risk".  The response from Coinbase, after several days, was that I wasn't actually "high risk" and I was now whitelisted for future transactions.  I took that to mean that they should process my first order, because nothing had changed, so I replied an hour after receiving their reply that I wanted my first order processed and not canceled.  Well, they ignored that request and just refunded my money today.  Get it together, Coinbase.  Keeping people's money tied up like that, making them jump through special hoops, and then ignoring their requests is a waste of time and indicates shady business practices.
gamer4156 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:38:42 PM

Update on my end. After messaging olaf a second time he reinstated my original order. Thank you for doing the right thing. Coinbase.com has some serious issues they need to work out if they ever want to compete in the coming days.
axilla

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 03:02:43 PM

Hey guys, I'm Olaf from Coinbase.

Email support! We review transactions all the time and can push them through at the original exchange rate upon request. Sorry for the friction here!

This is a flat out lie.. You have been ignoring my emails and refused to honor the price..  You offered to whitelist me.. For next time.. Gues what.. There is no'ext time.. Hope your  scam is worth it..

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
r00t$

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:21:40 PM

As a US citizen, our reliable BTC exchange options are few and far between.  Undecided
freeAgent

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:26:41 PM

Email support! We review transactions all the time and can push them through at the original exchange rate upon request. Sorry for the friction here!

This is a flat out lie.. You have been ignoring my emails and refused to honor the price..  You offered to whitelist me.. For next time.. Gues what.. There is no'ext time.. Hope your  scam is worth it..

Yeah, emailing support doesn't always fix the issue.  The same thing happened to me.  It seems to depend on who picks up your ticket in support.  Perhaps only Olaf is authorized to do it.  Who knows.  In any case, I don't trust them.  They were perfectly fine denying my request to process the transaction until I started complaining here.
axilla

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 03:45:28 PM

Yeah, emailing support doesn't always fix the issue.  The same thing happened to me.  It seems to depend on who picks up your ticket in support.  Perhaps only Olaf is authorized to do it.  Who knows.  In any case, I don't trust them.  They were perfectly fine denying my request to process the transaction until I started complaining here.

Still no response these guys are as
Clueless as a bag of dicks.

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
almostmike

Activity: 37

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:45:21 PM

Still no response these guys are as
Clueless as a bag of dicks.

Well, if you're referring to them as a bag of dicks in your correspondence I can see why they're not responding to you.

That said, they haven't responded to me yet either and I've been very understanding and polite. Five days now for me.
sedative

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:05:17 AM

To describe your unfortunate experience as a "scam" is a bit far fetched.  The majority of people that use Coinbase have had nothing but a pleasant experience.  I've been using them for the last 7 months and never once had a problem. 

While your experience has been negative, and is indeed frustrating, your definition of "scam" is not the norm.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: