Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:35:26 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If you were to start over today, what would you do differently?  (Read 547 times)
RaptorRed (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:58:16 PM

For those of you who have been in game for a while: if you were to enter the bitcoin market today (like many of us newbies) but had the knowledge you have gained over the years, what would you do differently? What wallet(s) would you use? What exchanges? Would you be more conservative or more aggressive?
Valkor

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:52:00 PM

I'd buy a crapton of bitcoins. When I got started they were $7 each, then the next week they were $12 each. $50 then would have minted me a very tidy profit today.

I would leave my gear mining 24/7. And by gear, I mean my simple little video card. I'd also hang a fan beside it, in the case, to help with cooling. All of the BTC I have was either mined by me, or traded for.

I would get a dedicated cryptocurrency trading and management laptop. I'd set up email alerts rather than let a trade bot do it. My current setup is Debian with a crypted drive, and I just run the normal bitcoin wallet, along with the other cryptocurrency wallets. Nothing fancy, nothing paranoidly secure. I don't trust cloud wallets.

I'd read more about trading, rather than learn the lessons the hard way. Experience is the best teacher, so it is best to learn from other's experiences.

I wouldn't waste any time with any site offering free bitcoins for clicks. I would put up my own site of that kind, no matter the initial cost.

I would try my hardest to encourage people to pay me in BTC rather than paper money when I do contract work. The more  legitimate the currency is, the better it will do in the long run. It only gains value by being accepted for goods and services.

I'd get an account here (and on a couple of other forums), rather than lurking for over a year Smiley

f1rst p0st!!!!!!11one
mobilephone92

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 05:36:57 PM

I would've skipped buying a butterly 60gh/s and went straight in with bitcoin.

Would've made a 100% return in the past 6 weeks.

vervolioman

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 05:42:01 PM

Obviously I would buy much more, wouldnt been so conservative I was. And no mining...

What use is a signature?
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 05:51:01 PM

For those of you who have been in game for a while: if you were to enter the bitcoin market today (like many of us newbies) but had the knowledge you have gained over the years, what would you do differently? What wallet(s) would you use? What exchanges? Would you be more conservative or more aggressive?

Well, I recently (two paychecks ago) stopped contributing to my 401k and am using the money normally allocated for that to buying bitcoins.  Smiley   Right now that allocation is only $100 per paycheck (money is tight, wife lost her job and we have small kids), but soon as we get on our feet I'm going to up my allocation. Smiley

So yeah, I wish I had done that when I first entered the market. Smiley   I've so far doubled my investment in a month's time Smiley  Not saying that'll continue to happen, necessarily, but the trend is that it's a very good investment. Smiley
Nixsy

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 06:00:23 PM

Buy a nice glow in the dark crowbar and go all Gordon Freeman(half life 2 main character) on anyone that suggested inventing mining asics.

MaxBTC1

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 06:10:23 PM

I think it pretty obvious what we would all do:

1. Buy a shit ton of coins
2. Buy mining gear and flog it at the right time
3. Design already popular BTC websites

I wish I could see into the future...
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:01:12 PM

I think it pretty obvious what we would all do:

1. Buy a shit ton of coins
2. Buy mining gear and flog it at the right time
3. Design already popular BTC websites

I wish I could see into the future...

I think the OP was asking what would we do right now.  Like pretend your coins were wiped out, and you're starting over, but using past knowledge/experience.  So the websites are still already up, the mining is at current difficulty, etc, etc. 

Buy coins. Buy as much as you can afford to, even if you have to space it out (like me) according to budget.  Smiley
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:47:26 PM

Well if I was starting "over" at the beginning of this year I would have bought a crapload of 7950s. I think...

But starting afresh right now, "knowing everything that has happened this year" I'd say...... flip 3 coins, HHH buy best GH/$ preorder without regard to delivery date. TTT buy all coin, anything else split 50/50 into coin buy and miners that are $10/GH or better available soonest and coin buys.... unless any land on their edge, then buy feathercoin.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 07:55:34 PM

i would forget over the most alt-coins and only buy the best ones: Bitcoin and Litecoin.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: