Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:58:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NAS and GPU miner all-in-one?  (Read 119 times)
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 03:36:06 AM

I want to make my own NAS but at the same time I want to build a GPU miner. If I'm running Windows or Linux, wouldn't it be possible to use the same motherboard and CPU for the NAS and the GPUs that are mining? I don't really have any parts yet but wanted to see people's thoughts before I dive too far into this only to realise it's not possible.

So my idea is to have a decent CPU, probably a newer i5 or i7, a decent about of RAM, maybe 8gb or 16gb, have a case with the mobo in it along with the NAS drives, plug it into my network and that part is good to go, but then have some risers coming out of it onto an array holding some GPUs. If I'm only starting with 1 or 2 GPUs they may even just work in the case and I can mine with it like I'm mining on a normal desktop computer.

Let me know if I'm crazy, if I should just have them separate or if this is a good idea and you need my tip address because I just saved you from going out and buying 2 mother boards, CPUs, ram, etc.  Grin
FatAnt

Activity: 86
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 03:45:12 AM

Yes, it'll work fine for NAS and crypto mining.  With the better CPU and extra RAM it'll also be more desirable if VectorDash ever goes live.
Dagamus(NM)

Activity: 48

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 04:05:25 AM

I want to make my own NAS but at the same time I want to build a GPU miner. If I'm running Windows or Linux, wouldn't it be possible to use the same motherboard and CPU for the NAS and the GPUs that are mining? I don't really have any parts yet but wanted to see people's thoughts before I dive too far into this only to realise it's not possible.

So my idea is to have a decent CPU, probably a newer i5 or i7, a decent about of RAM, maybe 8gb or 16gb, have a case with the mobo in it along with the NAS drives, plug it into my network and that part is good to go, but then have some risers coming out of it onto an array holding some GPUs. If I'm only starting with 1 or 2 GPUs they may even just work in the case and I can mine with it like I'm mining on a normal desktop computer.

Let me know if I'm crazy, if I should just have them separate or if this is a good idea and you need my tip address because I just saved you from going out and buying 2 mother boards, CPUs, ram, etc.  Grin

As stated above you can do this no problem. Depending on how many GPUs you end up with you might want to lean towards 16GB memory or beyond. CPU will handle it no problem unless you are mining on that too.
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 03:29:03 AM

Would something half decent like a newer i3 work or should I be going with a new i7 (or something in between?). I can't go with Ryzen because of the mobo I'm looking at, but I guess I could look into other mobos if the CPU is going to make a major difference in price or performance.
crypto4pizza

Activity: 102

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 05:12:08 AM

Would definitely want to make sure the system is as stable as possible though.  Frequent crashes could wreak havoc on the raided hard drives over time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: