Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:11:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin exchanges are just like banks.  (Read 671 times)
Netnox (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:24:09 PM

They hold, monitor, put limitations on you coins. Hearing plenty of these stories about these exchanges, so i don't understand why people call it a "decentralised currency" since it's certainly not the case right now with these exchanges who act just like Banks which we find so corrupt.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:25:30 PM

They hold, monitor, put limitations on you coins. Hearing plenty of these stories about these exchanges, so i don't understand why people call it a "decentralised currency" since it's certainly not the case right now with these exchanges who act just like Banks which we find so corrupt.

Use a decentralized exchange then.
Netnox (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:28:43 PM

Use a decentralized exchange then.

Such as?
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:32:13 PM

5 hours of waiting for btc deposit to gox.

sometimes, I have got same feeling like OP.(
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:36:12 PM

Such as?

That's the point. There is no a decentralized bitcoin exchange, coz fiat is centralized. Get rid of fiat and u'll get decentralization easily.
masterluc
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 05:41:17 PM

bitcoin-otc

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 09:24:38 PM

Start your own exchange!  Give them some competition.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 09:26:21 PM

Don't use an exchange then.  You can't opt out of the banking system if u hold dollars, even if you choose not use a bank your money is still affected by the fractional reserve system.  You can CHOOSE to not use an exchange and just use Bitcoins.  Maybe it is tougher but nobody said it is going to be easy and perfect.
Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 09:32:29 PM

Don't use an exchange then.

Exactly!  There are plenty of other options. Become a miner.  Start your own exchange.  Use a non-exchange service for buying and selling.  Sell a product or service for Bitcoin.  Start an altcoin and thumb your nose at the whole bitcoin world.  Use an existing altcoin (use one I like).  Use testnet bitcoins.  Use gold.  Use fiat.  Use chocolate.

crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 09:42:26 PM

Don't use an exchange then.  You can't opt out of the banking system, even if you choose not use a bank your money is still affected by the fractional reserve system.  You can CHOOSE to not use an exchange.  Maybe it is tougher but nobody said it is going to be easy and perfect.

My coins *are* affected by exchanges -- choosing not to use them doesn't change the fact that BTC exchange rate is largely determined by exchanges.  If it wasn't for exchanges, the nifty rise in bitcoin dollar price would be Huh
The few merchants who accept BTC track their BTC prices with exchange rates.
BTC economy is an exchange-driven economy.

My bitcoin value is much more dependent on exchanges than my $ value is dependent on banks -- i don't keep several tabs of bank open, i do with exchanges.

Let's stop playing make-believe  -- ain't nobody here but us chickens.
amunet

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 09:43:27 PM

Time will come. Fiat money is doomed to fail. All fiat money failed in history. With no exception. They will fall all. The next one to fall is, we all know that, the USD.

As there already are Bitcoins in physical forms, I think things will change soon.

As long as other currencies are there, we have to deal with their limitations when we need to exchange. I do not think this a problem because all currencies ever had their specialities. But yes I wish that Bitcoin<->other currencies exchanges reach a higher quality than banks.

Actually I do not think mining is still a good choice if you do not want to buy expensive hardware or invest in a pool. But maybe "investing" Bitcoins in forex trading or something. Or play Bitvegas in Minecraft Cheesy Cheesy Haha Smiley http://bitvegas.net/deposit/?player=foetus23

We see that there are more creative ways to make money that ever existed for fiat money.

Well.. alternative coins might be an idea. Mining them could be easier than mining Bitcoins. But I have a nvidia GPU  Roll Eyes Cry
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:00:56 PM

bitcoin-otc

This. Get in the WoT.

No. An exchange is not a lemonade stand; it's not a thing to be "started" by someone whose only apparent qualification is frustration with other options.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 11:26:33 PM

No. An exchange is not a lemonade stand; it's not a thing to be "started" by someone whose only apparent qualification is frustration with other options.

I know that full well, but I think my deeper and more subtler point was probably lost on you.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:36:24 PM

I know that full well, but I think my deeper and more subtler point was probably lost on you.

So bring it. What is this, kindergarten?!

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 05:56:35 PM

So bring it. What is this, kindergarten?!

I'm interested too!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: