Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 05:59:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC USB Erupter and Altcoin wallets?  (Read 856 times)
Tansen (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:45:07 PM

Hello,

I know a lot of people hype about bitcoins specifically but since the game has been increasingly tough and a major invest now would be viewed as a waste by many with a spread sheet saying that your going to see diminishing returns. However with that said sometimes I found myself gone for long periods at a time and since I am renting not owning, I pay my arm and leg in rent instead of electricity. Also in terms of hardware I am almost finished building my new rig anyways so this would just be a box with no monitors off to the side but in the mean time I'd like for this comp to actually give me something in return for letting it live.

I know people like to max out the efficiency of their rigs to mine more effectively and swiftly but I am just looking for a casual deal especially until I get the final component for my new rig (Fingers crossed for good boxing day deals). I have researched and I found my computer can do easily 10Km/s, that's with me still using it periodically and with this GTX 570 here I may consider pushing it further but for now I am looking at making a small investment into one of those ASIC USB Erupters for 17 bucks off amazon. The thing I am confused about is from the research I did it says i WILL need two additional components; a USB port block or hub, a generic fan which I'll probably pick up as usb too, and plausibly some tissues for the loss of a $50 total estimated investment.

Since the eruptors claim a 300M/S hash rate will it automatically push it to the max? I am not looking to mine like a mad man on the limit that if the fan fails the usb would burst into flames but I am just looking at where it would run with the possibility of not having to use the usb fan if that is even possible? I may consider it if we get into summer but I live in an air conditioned basement and if I know my landlord she'll say "It's summer time, we come from a fucking hot country why the hell would you expect we'd like the heat here?" and I am in an agreement with her since I hate heat in general, so moderate temperature is not a problem. But would I need a fan regardless of not pushing the Usb to it's manufacturing specifications?

Secondly, I'd be a complete fool if I were to even attempt to mine bitcoins directly considering the difficult is something in the millions now and there are TONS of farms way more efficient than me. So I figured Altcoins would be the way to go. I am currently passively mining LiteCoins, with the intent to switch to another coin that's probably difficulty of < 1000 which is where my question comes in. Do I need a wallet for each of those coins? Like one for Bitcoins, one for LiteCoins, One for BBQCoins, etc? Or is there a 1 size fits all wallet?
Tansen (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:26:19 AM

So I guess nobody?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:57:25 AM

ASICs use very little electricity and generate very little heat. The fan is probably not required and if you only have one USB erupter then you don't need a hub.

You need a different wallet for each type of coin.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Tansen (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:51:53 PM

ASICs use very little electricity and generate very little heat. The fan is probably not required and if you only have one USB erupter then you don't need a hub.

You need a different wallet for each type of coin.

I kind of want a USB hub as an option since the back of my computer is a huge rat's nest but thanks for the info!

Oh also is there only specific coins I can mine with the ASIC? I the the sha###? Or Can I mine something like Digitalcoin or BQC?
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 10:25:49 PM

Hello,

I know a lot of people hype about bitcoins specifically but since the game has been increasingly tough and a major invest now would be viewed as a waste by many with a spread sheet saying that your going to see diminishing returns. However with that said sometimes I found myself gone for long periods at a time and since I am renting not owning, I pay my arm and leg in rent instead of electricity. Also in terms of hardware I am almost finished building my new rig anyways so this would just be a box with no monitors off to the side but in the mean time I'd like for this comp to actually give me something in return for letting it live.

I know people like to max out the efficiency of their rigs to mine more effectively and swiftly but I am just looking for a casual deal especially until I get the final component for my new rig (Fingers crossed for good boxing day deals). I have researched and I found my computer can do easily 10Km/s, that's with me still using it periodically and with this GTX 570 here I may consider pushing it further but for now I am looking at making a small investment into one of those ASIC USB Erupters for 17 bucks off amazon. The thing I am confused about is from the research I did it says i WILL need two additional components; a USB port block or hub, a generic fan which I'll probably pick up as usb too, and plausibly some tissues for the loss of a $50 total estimated investment.

Since the eruptors claim a 300M/S hash rate will it automatically push it to the max? I am not looking to mine like a mad man on the limit that if the fan fails the usb would burst into flames but I am just looking at where it would run with the possibility of not having to use the usb fan if that is even possible? I may consider it if we get into summer but I live in an air conditioned basement and if I know my landlord she'll say "It's summer time, we come from a fucking hot country why the hell would you expect we'd like the heat here?" and I am in an agreement with her since I hate heat in general, so moderate temperature is not a problem. But would I need a fan regardless of not pushing the Usb to it's manufacturing specifications?

Secondly, I'd be a complete fool if I were to even attempt to mine bitcoins directly considering the difficult is something in the millions now and there are TONS of farms way more efficient than me. So I figured Altcoins would be the way to go. I am currently passively mining LiteCoins, with the intent to switch to another coin that's probably difficulty of < 1000 which is where my question comes in. Do I need a wallet for each of those coins? Like one for Bitcoins, one for LiteCoins, One for BBQCoins, etc? Or is there a 1 size fits all wallet?

Just to answer about the eruptors running, from my experience using cgminer they will run %100 reaching about 333M/S. I still use mine, they run 24/7 like that with just a small fan over them for a little cooling. 
Ally_Rob

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:06:20 AM

They can be hot to the touch.
With my 4 running, aside from a slight power problem with my hub, they run 1.2/1.3GHz.

Does anyone know what the solider points are on the end of the board, near the green light?
Tansen (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:08:34 AM

Hello,

Just to answer about the eruptors running, from my experience using cgminer they will run %100 reaching about 333M/S. I still use mine, they run 24/7 like that with just a small fan over them for a little cooling. 

From a few video reviews I found the guy took a temperature reading of 130~ which he said wouldn't catch fire but it would singe his fingers. I may consider getting a fan then just in case. Better safe than sorry.

I actually had an idea to build a rig with a styrofoam icebox from my store, hole on 2 sides, large enough for a 12inch computer fan. Then line the insides with tinfoil and have a second stryobox with some ice and water on top of that with the PVC connecting the two as to create a circular and albeit pretty sound proofed, if not I'd line the outside with egg cartons or something.

But nice to know my elaborate imagination will probably not be needed lol.

Also what did you snag your eruptors at? I keep reading and I'm finding ones for 14 bucks but some people around the net claim I can get some for 8? I get the 14 from amazon and that's if I really look hard.
Ally_Rob

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:20:27 AM

Also what did you snag your eruptors at? I keep reading and I'm finding ones for 14 bucks but some people around the net claim I can get some for 8? I get the 14 from amazon and that's if I really look hard.

Even on amazon you can get them cheaper.. 3 of my 4 are under 10. the 4th was 11.

Btcguild has
"0.07 BTC/unit for 1-9
0.06 BTC/unit for 10-99
0.05 BTC/unit for 100+"

When btc was lower the .05 was like 6ish and change. and so on, granted u had to order 100+ but non-the-less..

Keep checking on amazon, its hit or miss.
LuoboTiX

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:31:44 AM

In my opinion, you'll be merely wasting money on buying USB Erupters for mining BTC according to the current difficulty
With 40 USB erupters, you will get 0.01btc everyday. That means it takes 100+ days to make profit (suppose there won't be a sharp increase in calculating power). It's easier to make that by simply buying BTC and sell it at the right time, requiring little investment.
With 1 USB erupters, you will get approximately nothing.
Tansen (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:55:58 AM

In my opinion, you'll be merely wasting money on buying USB Erupters for mining BTC according to the current difficulty
With 40 USB erupters, you will get 0.01btc everyday. That means it takes 100+ days to make profit (suppose there won't be a sharp increase in calculating power). It's easier to make that by simply buying BTC and sell it at the right time, requiring little investment.

I'm not looking to mine BTC's directly.

Which I believe brings up my second extended question from what I read the USB are only Able to mine SHA-256 which means BTC, Namecoin etc. It's the altcoin's im interested in. However the coin I'm looking at is scrypt and there doesn't seem to be any luck in that department for a scrypt ASIC. With that said I'm waiting on a reply from this blogger who says you can dual mine with the asic BTC and LTC which I found funny because the BTC is SHA-256 and Litecoin is Scrypt.
Ally_Rob

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:32:56 AM

I gotta find the link, but apparently there is a asic-scrypt miner hitting the R&D board. Once i find it, ill msg you the link.
Ecurb123

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 06:02:30 PM

Hello,

From a few video reviews I found the guy took a temperature reading of 130~ which he said wouldn't catch fire but it would singe his fingers. I may consider getting a fan then just in case. Better safe than sorry.

I actually had an idea to build a rig with a styrofoam icebox from my store, hole on 2 sides, large enough for a 12inch computer fan. Then line the insides with tinfoil and have a second stryobox with some ice and water on top of that with the PVC connecting the two as to create a circular and albeit pretty sound proofed, if not I'd line the outside with egg cartons or something.

But nice to know my elaborate imagination will probably not be needed lol.

lol well I bought mine a long time ago for about $50 each. you can see my setup here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18bpbzOuXq64pm_d4Dc7QZjBhN9JTMcl_Ird8ykRVCgo/edit
Ecurb123

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 06:03:38 PM

Which I believe brings up my second extended question from what I read the USB are only Able to mine SHA-256 which means BTC, Namecoin etc. It's the altcoin's im interested in. However the coin I'm looking at is scrypt and there doesn't seem to be any luck in that department for a scrypt ASIC. With that said I'm waiting on a reply from this blogger who says you can dual mine with the asic BTC and LTC which I found funny because the BTC is SHA-256 and Litecoin is Scrypt.

I mine PP coin with my 3 eruptors.
Ally_Rob

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:23:45 AM

I mine PP coin with my 3 eruptors.

how's the exchange rate to btc/fiat?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: