Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:06:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with new GPU  (Read 2428 times)
yurumtin (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 11:23:12 PM

When I started generating bitcoins using my GPus I had two Nvidia 8800 GTS cards. So pleased with bitcoin I decided to upgrade and changed to an ATI 5770 card. I had to remove both of my nvidia cards to do this because when one of them was in it wouldn't allow me to generate with my new ATI card. No big deal, this new card was 10x as powerful as one of those cards. But now I have become so excited about bitcoin I decided to buy another ATI card to go with my new 5770. This time I got a 5870. But, when I get them both set up neither works. The 5870 doesn't seem to work on it's own either. I am trying to figure out why. Below I will list my relevant hardware to help you.

600W PSU with enough 6 pin jacks for both cards.
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
ATI 5770 card
ATI 5870 card.

Any advice would me much appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 11:46:06 PM

As long as that's a quality PSU I can assure you it's not power - I've run dual 5870s and an overclocked CPU on a 750 watt PSU.

What happens when you turn the system on?
yurumtin (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 11:51:36 PM

Standard sounding things, fans turn on, lights start, hard drive spins, but nothing shows up on the screen. The screen tells me there is nothing connected to it. The 5770 works fine on this monitor when the 5870 isn't inside the computer.

Hope that information helps.
dingus

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 12:35:13 AM

When I started generating bitcoins using my GPus I had two Nvidia 8800 GTS cards. So pleased with bitcoin I decided to upgrade and changed to an ATI 5770 card. I had to remove both of my nvidia cards to do this because when one of them was in it wouldn't allow me to generate with my new ATI card. No big deal, this new card was 10x as powerful as one of those cards. But now I have become so excited about bitcoin I decided to buy another ATI card to go with my new 5770. This time I got a 5870. But, when I get them both set up neither works. The 5870 doesn't seem to work on it's own either. I am trying to figure out why. Below I will list my relevant hardware to help you.

ATI 5770 card
ATI 5870 card.

What gpu miner are you using? Have you tried starting the miner on one card, unplugging the monitor, waiting a second, and then plugging it into the other gpu and then starting another miner for that gpu? That trick works with my 5970 + 5770 rig.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
yurumtin (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 12:51:25 AM

ATI 5770 card
ATI 5870 card.

What gpu miner are you using? Have you tried starting the miner on one card, unplugging the monitor, waiting a second, and then plugging it into the other gpu and then starting another miner for that gpu? That trick works with my 5970 + 5770 rig.
Sorry,I didn't make this clear. When the other card is in the second slow neither card work at all. The screen isn't coming on.

However, I just tried the 5870 card in the first slot, the one I was using for the 5770.Works. So, turns out either my second slot is the problem (Which I doubt because both of my nvidia cards worked flawlessly together). I think this may have something to do with either A. Not enough power from my PSU. B. My motherboard is trying to do SLI without telling me. This second option is possible because SLI is in the name of the board and because the two cards are not the same. I know for SLI you need two cards that are exactly the same.

Any thoughts?
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 12:58:27 AM

It's possible the SLI thing is what is happening - but have you tried all the DVI ports on the cards? It picks weird ones by default sometimes, so swap the cable around, that usually fixes it for me.
yurumtin (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 01:15:09 AM

Yes. I have tried all ports.
yurumtin (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 01:23:11 AM

Wanted to let you know what the problem was. Turns out my motherboard, http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=szSFtrap7crpBaQE, only supports either SLI or a single card. The second slot is not powerful enough to run a card on it's own. Go figure. Thanks to those who helped.
dingus

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 12:29:17 AM

Wanted to let you know what the problem was. Turns out my motherboard, http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=szSFtrap7crpBaQE, only supports either SLI or a single card. The second slot is not powerful enough to run a card on it's own. Go figure. Thanks to those who helped.
I have an Asus board too M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and I cannot for the life of me get 2 5970s to work. I have purchased a new "Crossfire certified" Corsair 1200 watt psu, along with a MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 motherboard. I will test the new psu on my current mobo though to see what the problem is.

edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention I am having the exact problem you are: no video signal to my monitor while the fans and everything else seems to work fine. I believe these mobos just don't support crossfire that well for some reason. I did originally have a dual 5770 crossfire setup previously, so I know those work.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
yurumtin (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 02:53:51 AM

The problem probably has to do with the difference between a PCIe x16 and a PCIe x8. Both of our MBs have a single x16 and a single x8 slot. Apparently ATI 58xx and higher cards require x16. Without this no card in the system work. So, because you have a 5970 in the second, PCIe x8, slot your system will not function.

Very disappointing.  Sad
dingus

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 03:08:40 AM

The problem probably has to do with the difference between a PCIe x16 and a PCIe x8. Both of our MBs have a single x16 and a single x8 slot. Apparently ATI 58xx and higher cards require x16. Without this no card in the system work. So, because you have a 5970 in the second, PCIe x8, slot your system will not function.

Very disappointing.  Sad

Any source for that information? Or is it just based on your observations? I'm fairly sure they work on x8 or even x4...just with a performance hit.

Check this benchmark out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-pci-express-scaling,2517-3.html

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2011, 08:01:32 PM

Very disappointing.  Sad

Any source for that information? Or is it just based on your observations? I'm fairly sure they work on x8 or even x4...just with a performance hit.

Check this benchmark out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-pci-express-scaling,2517-3.html

I can verify that both 5870s and 5970s work at x8 speeds, and assume they would work at lower speeds.  I don't think there is any performance hit at all for mining, just for gaming which is more bandwidth intensive. I even think there is someone running 5970s out of modified x1 slots!

This is possible.  The motherboard is responsible for 75W of a 5970's power (and probably something similar for 5870s)

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 07:31:51 PM

U better contact the ASUS support & ask them can u have two ati cards & run without cross fire.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: