Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:59:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request - update read-me-first things  (Read 700 times)
tvbcof (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 05:30:03 AM

I respectfully request that sticky posts which are expected to be read by newbies specifically warn that the status of 'staff', 'moderator', 'hero member', positive ratings, etc on Bitcointalk.org should NOT be used to weigh credibility of efforts that such persons may be involved in.

Similarly, it would be fair to point out the same general thing for items and services that might be advertised on this form.

This is not a joke.  It's an honorable and fair thing to do, and I believe that there is ample evidence that it is justified.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 08:14:14 AM

I agree with this. Many newbies are getting scammed.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:10:06 PM

I respectfully request that sticky posts which are expected to be read by newbies specifically warn that the status of 'staff', 'moderator', 'hero member', positive ratings, etc on Bitcointalk.org should NOT be used to weigh credibility of efforts that such persons may be involved in.
Well, newbies will turn to someone, when it comes to "shut up and take my money".

Who would you rather have that to be?
Hero Members, Staff, Moderators, Donators, VIPs, you-name-it or just the guys with the loudest voice?

I personally believe that the newbies turning to "us" are far better off than those who will gladly give their coins to whoever advertises the highest return. Also because "we" usually keep an eye on each other and tend to warn others when one of us goes pirate.

But I might be wrong. Absolutely. I just don't see a real solution to the underlying problem with newbies wanting to "invest" into something they don't yet understand.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
tvbcof (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:40:40 PM

Well, newbies will turn to someone, when it comes to "shut up and take my money".

Who would you rather have that to be?
Hero Members, Staff, Moderators, Donators, VIPs, you-name-it or just the guys with the loudest voice?

I personally believe that the newbies turning to "us" are far better off than those who will gladly give their coins to whoever advertises the highest return. Also because "we" usually keep an eye on each other and tend to warn others when one of us goes pirate.

But I might be wrong. Absolutely. I just don't see a real solution to the underlying problem with newbies wanting to "invest" into something they don't yet understand.

Fair points.  Thanks for discussing them.

I'm not actually sure that it is the case that those with an affiliation of some sort to bitcointalk.org are statistically less likely to be scammers to say the truth.  Some of the people I consider to be most credible (e.g., gornick, puik, jan) don't seem to have any affiliation with this site.

Half a year ago or so ago I seemed to sense a few new users who immediately became 'donators' and started efforts which seemed to be questionable.  I think that it should be noted that the only criteria for being a 'donator' is forking over some money to the operators of the site.  I never did understand what a 'vip' is, and the whole 'default trust' thing is not something I understood (or really tried to to be honest.)

I do chronically look at the posting history of people who start a business venture.  To that end, a long history can help since it is unlikely that someone developed a 2-3 year history intending to scam and didn't yet get around to it.  If the sticky documents are updated, it might be suggested that this is a viable method of research.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:59:23 PM

I heartily agree with you - hate to use this as an example, but Inputs.io got hacked, and the owner was a VIP.... Tongue

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 06:39:32 PM

[...]
I just don't see a real solution to the underlying problem with newbies wanting to "invest" into something they don't yet understand.
Half a year ago or so ago I seemed to sense a few new users who immediately became 'donators' and started efforts which seemed to be questionable.  I think that it should be noted that the only criteria for being a 'donator' is forking over some money to the operators of the site.  I never did understand what a 'vip' is, and the whole 'default trust' thing is not something I understood (or really tried to to be honest.)
I once made a list comparing Donators and VIPs regarding the amount of SCAMMER tags. Donators are much less likely to scam others than VIPs.
If in doubt, trust a Donator! Grin
Seriously though, you're absolutely right, donating money to the forum is one thing but it doesn't really say a lot about the trustworthiness of said person.
At least, it makes scamming expensive. If you paid 10 BTC for Donator status, you're probably not going to throw away your reputation for anything less than a few hundred coins. Also, if you already have that kind of money, you're just less likely to scam in order to make some more.

I do chronically look at the posting history of people who start a business venture.  To that end, a long history can help since it is unlikely that someone developed a 2-3 year history intending to scam and didn't yet get around to it.  If the sticky documents are updated, it might be suggested that this is a viable method of research.
I guess we all do that. But how many newbies will be able to follow our example?

The best advice for them is not to make deals with anyone as long as they're not able to figure it out for themselves.
But will rubbing their nose into such a "prime directive" really make a difference?

I've just seen so many few-day-old accounts throwing their first coins at whoever offers running a cash-printing-machine for them (i.e. ASIC group buy) that I just gave up on them.

Probably the best thing would be a change of the Trust system where everyone's trust rating is reduced to -100 for any new user before they hit something like senior status. That way, they'd at least see all of us as "Warning! Trade with extreme caution".
I really think that could work, ridiculous as it may seem. It'd certainly ring some alarm bells.
OTOH, if all you see are crooks, the effect would probably wear off just as easily as you get used to clicking away those nagging warning popups on Windows computers Roll Eyes

You may factor in whatever you like, there is just no way to determine if a specific user is going to con others in the future. A long post history, great trust ratings, Donator tag, whatever, it just doesn't mean anything. IMHO, there is no solution to that problem.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: