Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:10:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Securing your wallet from Blockchain, right way to do it?  (Read 1136 times)
theecoinomist (OP)

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 03:28:15 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 03:41:48 PM by theecoinomist

Hey, I hope to get some inputs from smarter minds than me, whether this is a bulletproof strategy to store bitcoins since I'm kinda of a fucknut regarding security, anyways;

I currently have a wallet on the blockchain with google 2-FA + a brand new computer which I am 100% sure is malware free, I'm thinking that I should download the wallet.aes.json from blockchain, encrypt it with the opensource GPG with a really strong passphrase (18+ chars upper and lowercase + symbols as well).

Then delete the original wallet.eas.json and throw the wallet.aes.json.gpg file on 2-3 usb sticks and spread them on different locations..

Would this also be a sustainable way to set it up for 1-2 family members of mine, who recently approached me regarding help with buying bitcoins (and storing them of course)?
From what I've gathered your coins cannot get stolen on blockchain, UNLESS you login while the sites code is infected with malware, this would not be a problem, as this is for a "buy-and-hold" in atleast a few years..

Thanks in advance

edit: typo

Also, would I have to do back ups everytime the balance of the wallet increases?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:25:54 PM

I currently have a wallet on the blockchain

You mean you have a wallet at the blockchain.info website?  Please understand that the blockchain.info website is not "the blockchain".  You can cause confusion if you don't distinguish between the two.

I am 100% sure is malware free

Wow, you sound quite confident.

I'm thinking that I should download the wallet.aes.json from blockchain, encrypt it with the opensource GPG with a really strong passphrase (18+ chars upper and lowercase + symbols as well).

That wallet.aes.json is already encrypted with the password that you use at the blockchain.info website.  If the password that you use at that website isn't a "really strong password", then the wallet.aes.json is vulnerable to anybody that gains access to the website's database, regardless of what you do to the one you download.  If the password that you use at that website is a "really strong password", then why do you need to encrypt it a second time?

throw the wallet.aes.json.gpg file on 2-3 usb sticks and spread them on different locations.

Storing multiple backups in multiple physical locations definitely reduces that chance that all copies are destroyed/lost in the same event.

Would this also be a sustainable way to set it up for 1-2 family members of mine, who recently approached me regarding help with buying bitcoins (and storing them of course)?

If you are comfortable recommending an online service and they are capable of choosing and remembering a "really strong password" for use with the blockchain.info website.

From what I've gathered your coins cannot get stolen on blockchain, UNLESS you login while the sites code is infected with malware, this would not be a problem, as this is for a "buy-and-hold" in atleast a few years.

If you don't choose a strong enough password, then someone could access the site's database, and decrypt your private keys.  It is also possible for keylogger software on your coputer to capture the password when you login to the site.

Also, would I have to do back ups everytime the balance of the wallet increases?

I believe that with blockchain.info you only need to create a new backup whenever you generate a new receiving address.
theecoinomist (OP)

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 12:08:37 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2013, 12:57:23 AM by theecoinomist

I am 100% sure is malware free

Wow, you sound quite confident.

Brand new and hasn't been connected to the internet.

I'm thinking that I should download the wallet.aes.json from blockchain, encrypt it with the opensource GPG with a really strong passphrase (18+ chars upper and lowercase + symbols as well).

That wallet.aes.json is already encrypted with the password that you use at the blockchain.info website.  If the password that you use at that website isn't a "really strong password", then the wallet.aes.json is vulnerable to anybody that gains access to the website's database, regardless of what you do to the one you download.  If the password that you use at that website is a "really strong password", then why do you need to encrypt it a second time?

Okay, I didn't know that they were already encrypted. That makes it easier, I guess. So I basically just need to click the back-up icon in the respective blockchain accounts and save those .aes.json files as they are. Then the only way to steal those coins would be to crack the password?

If you are comfortable recommending an online service and they are capable of choosing and remembering a "really strong password" for use with the blockchain.info website.

What else would you recommend? They are not tech savvy at all, but have iPhones, so I can set up Google 2-FA on their blockchain.info account, and they would basically leave it for a year or so.. I would probably also do a back up of their wallets on a disk. Unless there is a better way, of course

From what I've gathered your coins cannot get stolen on blockchain, UNLESS you login while the sites code is infected with malware, this would not be a problem, as this is for a "buy-and-hold" in atleast a few years.

If you don't choose a strong enough password, then someone could access the site's database, and decrypt your private keys.  It is also possible for keylogger software on your coputer to capture the password when you login to the site.

I was under the impression you couldn't just hack blockchain.info due to them using offline storing and Javascript wallets? Unless the sites code would be infected and you were to login while this was happening.. The 2 family members would use Google 2-FA, so the biggest concern would be that the owner of blockchain runs off with the coins? Correct me if I'm wrong

I believe that with blockchain.info you only need to create a new backup whenever you generate a new receiving address.

I also read up on making a paper wallet for my non tech savvy family members, with ubunto disc and generate an offline paper wallet.. If this were the way to go, what would be a good way to back it up? Picture of wallet with private key and maybe print on a disc?

Thanks for your answers, hope you (or somebody else) can clear these follow-ups for me as well..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: