Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:00:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie here, all this cryptocurrency stuff looks awesome...  (Read 634 times)
cocorickoo (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 03:50:11 PM

Hi all !

i finally decided to start mining and getting more info on the whole coin systems... i know im late to the party but hey, better late than ever.

i first heard about BitCoin in 2011 but i had no clue what it was and League of Legends seemed to be worth more my time...

Fast forward to February 2013, i read about BitCoin again in the news but this time, i take a few days to read more about it. 25$ for something that i dont understand, that i cant see, cant touch, that isnt recognized by any country... it looks like a mix of gambling and stock exchange, bah i might as well but lottery at least i know i have chances to win. A Month later, Bitcoin is worth 50$... i missed to boat and because none of my friends at interest in that, i couldnt really talk about it, and lost interest in bitcoin...

Here we are, today, 8 months later, Bitcoin is worth 392$ this morning, when i started to look at it again 4 days ago it was worth 250$. i've just learned about the asic miners, the usb things that people use to mine. 8 months ago people were talking about the Butterfly labs Jalapeno thingy, it wasnt even out yet !

Yesterday i started mining with my personal computer, got a GTX650 ti running in there, nothing special about it, its going at 30kh/s.

im looking into mining altcoins, which ever seems to be the appropriate one, Multipool is handling that for me.

i thought about a cool mining rig with asic miners. Considering that "Winter is coming" and its going to be -15C outside, i think i could use that to my advantage and cool the rig with winter air. if i use a PVC pipe for the casing, place it in U shape (to prevent water damage because the rig would be outside, under the patio) and put the usb hub and other stuff inside, i could put one fan at each ends and get a good air flow. i would use a Belkin Conserve Insight to know how much electricity the rig is using, anyway the electricity is cheap here. i thought about that for 2 days, had it all in mind... then i read that BitCoin mining had a high difficulty level and it would be hard to get my money back after that investment. im trying to see if asic miners work well with other coins...

so this is it, thank you for reading. i'm all ears for comments and suggestions Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 04:02:29 PM

Welcome to the league. Switch off your Bitcoin mining gear and use the money you save to buy some Bitcoin instead Smiley
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:04:28 PM

Welcome to the league. Switch off your Bitcoin mining gear and use the money you save to buy some Bitcoin instead Smiley

Good advice. I think mining is now pointless.
huuline

Activity: 43

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:05:50 PM

Hi all !

i finally decided to start mining and getting more info on the whole coin systems... i know im late to the party but hey, better late than ever.

i first heard about BitCoin in 2011 but i had no clue what it was and League of Legends seemed to be worth more my time...

Fast forward to February 2013, i read about BitCoin again in the news but this time, i take a few days to read more about it. 25$ for something that i dont understand, that i cant see, cant touch, that isnt recognized by any country... it looks like a mix of gambling and stock exchange, bah i might as well but lottery at least i know i have chances to win. A Month later, Bitcoin is worth 50$... i missed to boat and because none of my friends at interest in that, i couldnt really talk about it, and lost interest in bitcoin...

Here we are, today, 8 months later, Bitcoin is worth 392$ this morning, when i started to look at it again 4 days ago it was worth 250$. i've just learned about the asic miners, the usb things that people use to mine. 8 months ago people were talking about the Butterfly labs Jalapeno thingy, it wasnt even out yet !

Yesterday i started mining with my personal computer, got a GTX650 ti running in there, nothing special about it, its going at 30kh/s.

im looking into mining altcoins, which ever seems to be the appropriate one, Multipool is handling that for me.

i thought about a cool mining rig with asic miners. Considering that "Winter is coming" and its going to be -15C outside, i think i could use that to my advantage and cool the rig with winter air. if i use a PVC pipe for the casing, place it in U shape (to prevent water damage because the rig would be outside, under the patio) and put the usb hub and other stuff inside, i could put one fan at each ends and get a good air flow. i would use a Belkin Conserve Insight to know how much electricity the rig is using, anyway the electricity is cheap here. i thought about that for 2 days, had it all in mind... then i read that BitCoin mining had a high difficulty level and it would be hard to get my money back after that investment. im trying to see if asic miners work well with other coins...

so this is it, thank you for reading. i'm all ears for comments and suggestions Smiley

big mistake playing the game. No matter what you invest now chances are you well not be happy.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:11:13 PM

Hi there.

Exchange your Nvidia GTX 650 for a good ATI. ATI videocards give you 5x-10x the rate of Nvidia for the same price point. Until then, use cudaminer software. See here: https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

Dedicated mining hardware is always risky, with pre-orders, scams, delays, negative ROI and so on. At least, videocards have other purposes.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
cocorickoo (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:13:34 PM

clarification, i didnt buy/make the rig because i wasnt sure if it would work, its just an idea.

you guys thinks its worth more to buy bitcoin and resell them ?

what about altcoins, are they worth mining ? i still need to heat my house, so i guess increasing the temperature of my PC by 30C isnt going to be so much different than turning the heaters on.
MaxwellsDemon

Activity: 187
Merit: 109

Converting information into power since 1867

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:28:33 PM

I think it's worth even more to buy bitcoins and NOT resell them... At least for a few years.

We're hunting for Leviathan, and Bitcoin is our harpoon.
kazzy

Activity: 150
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:48:49 PM

Welcome!
hromobiti

Activity: 118

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:55:03 PM

clarification, i didnt buy/make the rig because i wasnt sure if it would work, its just an idea.

Because it is hard to make profit mining (if not impossible), buying BTC is better (but Im not sure if we are at top of the bubble before crash)
cocorickoo (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 05:40:19 PM

About wallets : What do you suggest for the wallet ? A Android version ? A local usbkey version ?

Is there any way to combine wallets of multiple kind of coins ? Lets say i mine 10 different kinds, is there one software that can manage all of this or i need a single wallet for each kind ?
honky1492

Activity: 118

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 05:45:48 PM

About wallets : What do you suggest for the wallet ? A Android version ? A local usbkey version ?

Is there any way to combine wallets of multiple kind of coins ? Lets say i mine 10 different kinds, is there one software that can manage all of this or i need a single wallet for each kind ?

For all the alternative coins you have to use either exchange wallet or install for every coin its client qt (litecoin-qt and so on)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: