Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:53:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I work in a bank and wanna share my thoughts  (Read 594 times)
subzero01 (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:30:07 PM

Hi guys,

I work in a Belgian bank as investment advisor for private people. It's been almost a year since I put a little sum in Bitcoins. This morning I invested again as the news keeps picking up "Bitcoin". Even here in BELGIUM.

What I find remarkable is that when I ask random colleagues (who have been financially advising people whole their life concerning stocks/bonds/deposits/...) about Bitcoin, they don't even know what it is or they just recognize the name. This gives me 2 thoughts on current society.

1. people know about it but don't actually know what is. They do know it's been rising lately but assume it's another bubble. When finally they convince themselves to invest in it, they start looking for information but end up giving up on it as the treshhold to get some btc is too big. By this I mean it's too difficult for the common civilian to acquire a bitcoin.

2. people that do know about it and by that I mean what it is and how it works are mostly customers... but even then they don't really know how to acquire some. People ask me "hey can you guys get me some bitcoins?" Ah, ok, no banks (who are first allocated with money) can't be contacted.

So I really look forward to ways of making bitcoins more accessible to the general public (bitcoinATM's, more tutorials on the web,...). Hoping to see more of this to come...

OK. So from my part I also try to spread some awareness about bitcoin and I do this via a communitypage on facebook.
Please like it so I can reach out to more people Smiley thanks

Seems like I can't even post my facebookpage on this thing. damn
gripflierGO

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:44:04 PM

1. people know about it but don't actually know what is. They do know it's been rising lately but assume it's another bubble. When finally they convince themselves to invest in it, they start looking for information but end up giving up on it as the treshhold to get some btc is too big. By this I mean it's too difficult for the common civilian to acquire a bitcoin.

It is not much more difficult to buy BTC than Gold nuggets. In both cases you must do a lot of research to not get scammed and pay only fair price, thats true
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 08:54:46 PM

Bitcoin is currently a bubble.
The price is 5 times higher than a few weeks ago but it is not more useful than then ....

mvidetto

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 08:59:27 PM

Bitcoin is currently a bubble.
The price is 5 times higher than a few weeks ago but it is not more useful than then ....

Yes, you're correct but that doesn't mean that it's not undervalued as well.  For all we know the true price of btc could lie in the 10k-100k range, we'll never know until it rises to that point.
manoamano

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:22:32 PM

What makes you think that btc is worth that much? Seems crazy
imbladednow

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

Woking as a binman sucks.

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:29:16 PM

Not so crazy, my BTCs are worth that much, so Im not selling now. Everyone has price when he is willing and not willing to sell.

I need crypto in my life and garbage out of it.
mindfulmojo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:31:07 PM

And why is money, such as the US dollar, worth anything...? It's not backed by anything.

The whole concept of money is crazy when you think about it.. Smiley
BasicBitcoiner

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:39:43 PM

Based on the "5 times higher but not more useful", then all investments that rise in value are bubbles.  When gold goes up, it's not because it became more useful, it's because more people decided they wanted it.  

Price is a function of supply and demand.  Right now, supply is going up slowly, and demand is going up quickly.  Because of that, the price is going up steadily.  The recent surge in price is largely due to higher demand as a result of the Chinese market picking up steam and more and more people learning about Bitcoin...  
r1pp3r

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 11:33:39 PM

Well, I'm also from Belgium and i come to the same conclusion as the topicstarter. Besides my boss, who is really into technology, it's hard to find someone who truly gets the concept of Bitcoins. It's new for me also, hard to figure some things out, but I think I got it Wink

I'm currently developing a website (informational) targeting the Belgian population, so let's hope this goes well (I'm not to good at marketing :p). It's also a way for me to summarize everything of Bitcoin.
If subzero01 wants to share his facebook community, he may send it in PM and I will gladly add it to my list of community's when the site goes live.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: