Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:18:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-05 Huffington Post: No one understands bitcoins  (Read 1060 times)
neutrinox (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

1MCKW9AkWj3aopC1aPegcZEf2fYNrhUQVf

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 05:25:59 PM

Huffington post posted a parody video about bitcoin from Youtube:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/05/what-is-bitcoin-parody-video_n_4219961.html
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:18:00 PM

haha, funny ass random stuff =P

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:20:42 PM

stole footage from that nice produced bitcoin video 1+year old

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:06:11 PM

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi

See, this is why I had to put the guy on ignore.  Sometimes he just gets it wrong.  Plenty of poor schmucks with a big electric bill in one hand and an empty hacked wallet in the other would agree.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:11:26 PM

Does anyone understand Federal Reserve Notes ... or "quantitative easing" ?? ... or why Euros were worth something more than zero when they were floated??

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 10:52:54 PM

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi

See, this is why I had to put the guy on ignore.  Sometimes he just gets it wrong.  Plenty of poor schmucks with a big electric bill in one hand and an empty hacked wallet in the other would agree.

uh...notice the word 'can' in abscense of the phrase "will  always be with no exceptions"

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Steveia

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 11:28:08 PM

Does anyone understand Federal Reserve Notes ... or "quantitative easing" ?? ... or why Euros were worth something more than zero when they were floated??

A "note" is a promise to pay a debt. Federal Reserve is a private bank, a consortium of private banks. Curiously, it is also a quasi government institution, as it is an act of Congress.  Quantitative easing is creating fictitious money out of nothing and flooding the system with it to stimulate the economy.

And yeah, I get your point.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:54:32 AM

A "note" is a promise to pay a debt. Federal Reserve is a private bank, a consortium of private banks. Curiously, it is also a quasi government institution, as it is an act of Congress.  Quantitative easing is creating fictitious money out of nothing and flooding the system with it to stimulate the economy.

You describe the system in summary quite well, now would you like to describe how/why it works? I don't understand it.

Steveia

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 02:55:18 PM

You describe the system in summary quite well, now would you like to describe how/why it works? I don't understand it.

Powerful banking interests wrote the Federal Reserve Act. They met in secret in a little island off the coast of Georgia and planned how they can take over the United States. Congress passed the Federal Reserve Act in 1913 on Christmas. Basically, under this law, congress cedes its constitutional delegation to coin its money and transfers it the Fed. When congress needs money, it goes to a private bank, the Fed, and borrows it. The Fed creates this money out of thin air. It does not exist. The Fed lends this money to Congress. Guess who pays it back with interest? The tax payers. Why would a government borrow money from a private bank instead of issuing its own?

So basically, under this scheme, tax payers pay the Fed the principal and interest on money that does not exist. To help pay this money back, congress passed the Fedral income tax. The Fed is composed of all the big banks and they make huge profits and control the government.

On a similar, though separate note, fractional reserve banking allows banks to use ten percent reserves of depositors to lend out an additional 90% (though it may be even worse now than in the past.) So say I have $1000.00 in the bank. The bank will take that money, and lend it out, with an additional 90% more to a borrower. Where, you ask, does the bank get this additional 90%? It creates it out of nothing. The money does not exist.

Now consider the ramifications. I collect peanuts in interest for my $1000.00. The bank not only lends this money out, but they add an additional 90% to a borrower. When the borrower pays it back, the back makes an outstanding profit.

This is a scam--pure and simple.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:25:55 PM

On a similar, though separate note, fractional reserve banking allows banks to use ten percent reserves of depositors to lend out an additional 90% (though it may be even worse now than in the past.) So say I have $1000.00 in the bank. The bank will take that money, and lend it out, with an additional 90% more to a borrower. Where, you ask, does the bank get this additional 90%? It creates it out of nothing. The money does not exist.

Pardon me for eavesdropping, I'm just trying to increase the number of threads i'm too dumb for.

In your narrative, shouldn't you be saying, "....the bank will hold my $1000 as a 10% reserve on the loan of a non-existent $10,000..."? 

In effect, the bank is adding 900% to your deposit to make the loan, not 90%. 

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
Steveia

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 04:28:31 PM

Pardon me for eavesdropping, I'm just trying to increase the number of threads i'm too dumb for.

In your narrative, shouldn't you be saying, "....the bank will hold my $1000 as a 10% reserve on the loan of a non-existent $10,000..."?  

In effect, the bank is adding 900% to your deposit to make the loan, not 90%.  

Let me clarify. If I have $1000.00 in the bank, the bank will hold a small fraction of it (namely 10% or so). The other money is invested or borrowed out. So the bank holds for me about $100.00 and lends out the rest.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: