Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:05:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: max ammount of gpu's  (Read 1137 times)
mike678 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:14:19 AM

Ok so I know the max amount of gpu's in windows is 8 that's not what I'm asking. I have seen multiple posts on this forum where there are rumors and people stating they have over 8 gpu's in one system running linux. Can any one actually prove this?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 12:49:01 PM

Yes it is possible, but you will need pci extenders and then the max is 8 using a psu of 1200 watt or better.

The other problem if you do not use pci extenders, the max is 6 GPU due to physical limitation on the 890fxa-gd70, and you will need to run the fans at full speed since having the video cards with almost no free space in between them causes the temperature to go up a lot, unless you water cool them, without the pci extenders the last pci slot can not be used since the card does not fit properly on the motherboard since it was not meant for a double width card.

The other problem is you will need to use amd sdk 2.4 and catalyst 11.6 which has a bug that with the mouse that causes everything to lock up once a while if you use the computer while mining.

With catalyst 11.7 it did not work for me. the X and ati utilities will see the 8 cores, but not the miners, strange problem, however catalyst 11.6 seems to work fine other than the mouse bug.
This is using debian squeeze.

mike678 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 02:20:57 PM

Yes it is possible, but you will need pci extenders and then the max is 8 using a psu of 1200 watt or better.

The other problem if you do not use pci extenders, the max is 6 GPU due to physical limitation on the 890fxa-gd70, and you will need to run the fans at full speed since having the video cards with almost no free space in between them causes the temperature to go up a lot, unless you water cool them, without the pci extenders the last pci slot can not be used since the card does not fit properly on the motherboard since it was not meant for a double width card.

The other problem is you will need to use amd sdk 2.4 and catalyst 11.6 which has a bug that with the mouse that causes everything to lock up once a while if you use the computer while mining.

With catalyst 11.7 it did not work for me. the X and ati utilities will see the 8 cores, but not the miners, strange problem, however catalyst 11.6 seems to work fine other than the mouse bug.
This is using debian squeeze.

So how many gpu's do you run on linux then? That was the real point of the question.
antares

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 02:37:05 PM

Well, I'm sorry I cannot give you the answer you wanted, however we use NVIDIA Clusters at work for GPGPU, and each of our node has 12/16 GPUs. However our nodes use special ASUS boards that have been built for this and feature extra length so all the cards can be inserted. Clusters fit into a 19" rack at 3 HE.
Ofc I cannot state whether the 8GPU limit for AMD is a general windows limit or an ATI/AMD driver limit, as we do not use Windows or AMD Graphics
iamzill

Activity: 677
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:12:42 AM

without the pci extenders the last pci slot can not be used since the card does not fit properly on the motherboard since it was not meant for a double width card.

Actually it's possible to use the last slot without extenders. I have 4 5850 on my 890fxa-gd70 as we speak. You just need a big enough case. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: