Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:33:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Besides CoinBase to buy + store coins - recommend a good/better alternative ?  (Read 162 times)
thanos168 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 01:03:56 PM

A very good day to you Sir,
I hope you are doing Great Sir,

Can someone please kindly recommend a good/better alternative to coinbase to buy and store coins ?

I understand that coinbase does not allow for hawaiian customers ...

May I please kindly ask if I register to coinbase with a non hawaiian address and link my bank of hawaii credit card and account - Is ok ?

Will the bank of hawaii credit card and account be workable in coinbase without a hawaiian address ?

Are there any good or better alternatives to coinbase ?

Thank you.

Kind Regards as Always.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6148

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 12:16:26 PM

You can try Gemini or Kraken for buying coins and as for storing, I wouldn't recommend an exchange. If the amount is anything higher then +1000$, I would suggest getting a hardware wallet.

Regarding the bank, I think you are better off asking Coinbase about this and also confirming with your bank that they have no issues with crypto related transactions.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Ultegra134

Activity: 1568
Merit: 748

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 12:50:04 PM

You can try Gemini or Kraken for buying coins and as for storing, I wouldn't recommend an exchange. If the amount is anything higher then +1000$, I would suggest getting a hardware wallet.

Regarding the bank, I think you are better off asking Coinbase about this and also confirming with your bank that they have no issues with crypto related transactions.
I'll definitely agree with you, storing crypto in exchanges is not recommended, you have no access to your funds, it's not a wallet thus, you get no private keys whatsoever. If something happens, account compromised for whatever reason, exchange somehow hacked, you will lose your funds and then good luck trying to recover them back. Some of the most well-known exchanges are Kraken, Bitstamp, Poloniex or Coinsbank, there are literally a ton.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
alexey14

Activity: 217
Merit: 6

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 12:52:09 PM

YOBIT IS THE BEST EXCHANGE.
I have about 100K + more USD in Yobit.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 04:46:52 PM

Another wote for a hardware wallet, if you want to handle a decent amount of cryptocoins. If you don't want to risk a meaningful amount of money to buy cryptos, you can live without a hardware wallet of course, there's no need to pay much more to secure the coins if the coins themselves don't worth at least the price of the hardware wallet. Let's say you want to buy a ledger nano s or a trezor (and let's say it costs $100), so if you want to buy cryptos, you should spend $200 at least ($100 to buy a hardware wallet, and another $100 to buy cryptos).
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 04:53:47 PM

A very good day to you Sir,
I hope you are doing Great Sir,

Can someone please kindly recommend a good/better alternative to coinbase to buy and store coins ?

I understand that coinbase does not allow for hawaiian customers ...

May I please kindly ask if I register to coinbase with a non hawaiian address and link my bank of hawaii credit card and account - Is ok ?

Will the bank of hawaii credit card and account be workable in coinbase without a hawaiian address ?

Are there any good or better alternatives to coinbase ?

Thank you.

Kind Regards as Always.

You can buy coin on whatever exchange you want as long as you don't plan to store them there.
To store your coins always use a wallet where you have control over the private keys!
So buy on Coinbase, Kraken, Gemini, Bitstamp, Binance and always send those coins to your own wallet!
If you aren't a trader there is no need to store any coins on the exchanges. This would be just insane!
Always remember: "If you're not holding the keys, it's not your Bitcoin!" - Andreas Antonopoulos

BelieveInBTC

Activity: 280
Merit: 15

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 04:56:52 PM

It all depends on your needs. There are many exchange on which you will be able to buy Bitcoin. If CoinBase doesn't work for you then check BLOCKCHAIN.info or localbitcoins. The second one is face-to-face buy and sell so it will require some effort but you will avoid any trouble. Don't store your Bitcoin on exchange and web wallet. Check out Electrum or Bitcoin Core. There are software wallets which allow you to store your private key which means that nobody else can spend your bitcoin.

Crypdon

Activity: 616
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 04:57:59 PM

LOL - yobit Cheesy Not that it is bad, just never seen anyone call it the best exchange! There is a large amount of low market cap coins which makes it a fun exchange to trade on. Easy to use, hopefully more users will go there.
lizardbtc

Activity: 448
Merit: 109

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 05:20:05 PM

LocalEtherWallet is ideal for ICO investors, Ethereum traders, and users who are serious about cryptocurrency trading. But, I believe that it is ideal for anybody who wants to have full control of their own wallet and coins - both starters and experts.  https://LocalEtherWallet.com

First time I hear about this website and since you are a newbie I wouldn't trust you much. Even creation of the domain is not that far ago -> "Creation Date: 2018-04-07".

Guys never enter your seeds/ private keys on random websites such as this one, as it sounds shady.
bitcoingeek94

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 02:40:45 AM

There are many alternatives to Coinbase.

Cex.io, Changelly, Binance, and Coinsquare are all great exchanges.

I found a great article here explaining the best places to buy Bitcoin: https://cryptoguidepro.com/exchanges/

Check it out!

Good luck!
guxu219

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:39:36 AM

storing crypto in exchanges is not recommended, you have no access to your funds, it's not a wallet thus, you get no private keys whatsoever. If something happens, account compromised for whatever reason, exchange somehow hacked, you will lose your funds and then good luck trying to recover them back. Some of the most well-known exchanges are Kraken, Bitstamp, Poloniex or Coinsbank, there are literally a ton.
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 09:28:02 PM

If you're in the USA then use Gemini or Kraken like OmegaStarScream recommended. You can also use localbitcoins if you just want a convenient transaction, and you don't want to go through the hassles of having to verify yourself.

For storing BTC, coinbase nor any other exchanges is definitely not ideal. I would download electrum since you don't need to sync the blockchain and it's just as easy to use as any exchange wallet. Once you hold money on an exchange, you have no direct control over it.

Well, that's just stupid. I definitely recommend you get out whatever you've got on Yobit out as soon as possible, if you aren't trolling, ofc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: