Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:08:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stanford University Business Full-Time Cryptocurrency Course  (Read 608 times)
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 04:24:58 PM

I'm not as pessimistic towards it as other people. Crypto is already starting to gain relevance, so it's not surprise at all for me that it's starting to rack up interest in the academia. These schools in particular are very reputable, and they're so strict with their admissions that it's hard to accuse them of simply cash grabbing.

If people are interested as to what might be taught in such classes, Princeton has a free online course in Coursera. The syllabus is available for viewing, and I've seen some materials relating to the course floating (illegally?) around the internet.

timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 08:11:58 AM

For those interested in studying crypto:

https://www.cryptocurrencyguide.org/stanford-universitys-graduate-school-of-business-full-time-cryptocurrency-course-scheduled-to-begin-next-month/

Stanford Graduate School of Business, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business are expanding classes in digital currency and blockchain, CNBC reported.

Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business is offering a full-time cryptocurrency course, and is scheduled to begin next month.

Because it is being done by the business school, it will probably focus on the ecoomics aspects, as opposed to teh technical coding aspects of cryptocurrency.

Great, it always is good to see new programs come up to educate people about bitcoin.

I agree with your statement that it's more likely going to be about the economic aspects rather than the technical side of bitcoin. Still though, it will be extremely beneficial if they are able to give an unbiased assessment of the breakdown of a decentralized payment system, such like bitcoin, brings to the table.

I'm not as pessimistic towards it as other people. Crypto is already starting to gain relevance, so it's not surprise at all for me that it's starting to rack up interest in the academia. These schools in particular are very reputable, and they're so strict with their admissions that it's hard to accuse them of simply cash grabbing.

If people are interested as to what might be taught in such classes, Princeton has a free online course in Coursera. The syllabus is available for viewing, and I've seen some materials relating to the course floating (illegally?) around the internet.

Yep. You don't need to take a full time course to become an expert at crypto or even start investing. But this university offering BTC just shows how BTC has started to go mainstream already.

Smiley
Tungsten-1

Activity: 994
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 05:24:40 PM

https://www.cryptocurrencyguide.org/stanford-universitys-graduate-school-of-business-full-time-cryptocurrency-course-scheduled-to-begin-next-month/

Stanford Graduate School of Business, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business are expanding classes in digital currency and blockchain, CNBC reported.

Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business is offering a full-time cryptocurrency course, and is scheduled to begin next month.

Because it is being done by the business school, it will probably focus on the ecoomics aspects, as opposed to teh technical coding aspects of cryptocurrency.

Thats a good step forward but unfortunately I am wondering why the computer field is not taking the part into this program. I mean coding is very much important aspect as compared to the economic studies for now. What I mean is simple fact, if you dont get the developments done in the crypto currencies then you dont get back the full working model for the same. Bitcoin is sensitive matter for now in terms of its scalability issues, mining difficulties and much more. All these things have to be cleared in the long run to catch good economic back bone and then whatever they study afterwards would be very interesting! I mean its really good that at leats they have started with something but for future purpose we need to fill the gaps.
Stanford university business full time cryptocurrency course is an easy and economic way to learn more about the technology and the tricks to use upon entering the market. This is like any other online course offered by edX or coursera and in my opinion; every one who thinks of going for this business should enroll in the courses. The more people know about the advantages of the technology, the more they invest and the more the prices will rise.
bitcad4u

Activity: 602
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 05:54:57 PM

It is good news for the people who living in U.S .As you told 50 people are in waiting list.Then they have to wait for the next university start studies about this crypto currency or wait to join for the next batch in same university.All this happen by the growth of bitcoin.This will increase the price of bitcoin ofcourse and the investors in crypto currency.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 06:03:26 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

There are many universities selling straight pseudo-scams

Merited for that.

Over the last decade, there have been many colleges and universities who have been caught approaching homeless people on the street and signing them up for educational government assistance (aka: "state funded student loans"). This isn't done out of the kindness of their heart, its done to prey upon homeless and saddle them with mountains of debt they could never repay, in order to profit off of additional taxpayer funding under circumstances where those enrolled are very unlikely to learn anything of value which helps them or gives them a better future. There have also been cases where students have enrolled in programs which cost in excess of $50,000 that teach no useful skills and were zero help in students obtaining a job in their chosen career path.

Unfortunately, "higher education" has often devolved into a money making scheme where zero information or skills of value can be learned, while students take on extreme levels of debt proportional to their future projections for wages.

It is possible this "blockchain business course" won't amount to much. It could be a liberal arts equivalent to learning about bitcoin and a complete waste of money. Its always nice to hear about bitcoin and crypto currencies gaining ground and being more widely supported but it might not be an exaggeration to think that maybe ICO scams have their equivalent in higher education, here.

Indeed, the scams in the education field is almost as high as the ICO field unfortunately, but some are legit, for example, this blockchain programing course directed by Jimmy Song:

http://programmingblockchain.com/

The contents seem very on-point and technical, so basically very useful stuff in there:

Learn the ins and outs of blockchain development in this interactive 2-day seminar. You will learn the details of how Bitcoin works including live coding challenges to sharpen your skills. You will learn:

Finite Fields
    Elliptic Curves
    Elliptic Curve Cryptography
    Signing/Verifying Messages
    Parsing Transactions
    Signing Transactions
    Creating Transactions
    Script parsing and processing
    Address construction/Private Key WIF Format Construction
    Parsing Blocks
    Validating Proof-of-Work
    Difficulty Calculations
    Merkle Tree Construction
    Merkle Proofs
    Network Message Parsing
    Segwit
    Finding a job in Bitcoin Development

Probably overpriced for a 2 day course, but assuming you have some notions, it would be 2 very productive days. If you cannot afford it, just look at the contents on that course and search stuff for free related to these sections on the net.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 06:07:17 PM

Over the last decade, there have been many colleges and universities who have been caught approaching homeless people on the street and signing them up for educational government assistance (aka: "state funded student loans")...

What, lol. That is utter nonsense.  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 08:36:29 PM

Wow. Just wow. I would have never even thought of this happening in a small business school 2 years ago, let alone in Stanford University.

I'm unsure of what the content is going to be about, but obviously it's going to be circling around economics. The more people that can fully understand the economic implications of bitcoin, the better. Bitcoin is really going mainstream in recent days with so many institutions starting to look at bitcoin seriously, including schools it seems.

I do not know why the Department of Economics/Business will study the Cryptocurrency, although it is a technology closer to the computer and programming.
Personally I do not believe in the role of Cryptocurrency economically and I do not think it will be possible to study or evaluate them based on the laws of economics and business administration(no one can Predicts it).
It is best to teach the Blockchain and the programming languages built on it(how to build tokens/coins, reading source codes and Enhanced protection).

It would be pointless for bitcoin to exist if there wasn't economic benefits to it. So you're wrong on that for sure.
Dreamchaser21

Activity: 686
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 08:46:26 PM

I wonder what will happen to those courses once the cryptocurrency hype dies down. I can only imagine people with degrees in "cryptocurrency" would be hard-pressed for anything other than finance-related jobs. I wonder if that news article is even real in the first place. Too much fake news has been going around online..

I can’t imagine cryptocurrency will die, and if you look at this scenerario why it is being offered in a University is really interesting. I know this is just a preparation for a brighter future of cryptocurrency and if this is true for sure many people enrol on that course because they see a big potential on this kind of market.
BartS

Activity: 980

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 09:14:07 PM

I do not know why the Department of Economics/Business will study the Cryptocurrency, although it is a technology closer to the computer and programming.
Personally I do not believe in the role of Cryptocurrency economically and I do not think it will be possible to study or evaluate them based on the laws of economics and business administration(no one can Predicts it).
It is best to teach the Blockchain and the programming languages built on it(how to build tokens/coins, reading source codes and Enhanced protection).
Well bitcoin is a currency, and while bitcoin was created using code instead of mining the earth or by printing, the function of bitcoin is supposed to compete against those two forms of currency, so to me it makes sense that we analyzed it from that point of view, maybe bitcoin is never going to realize some of our wildest dreams of becoming the currency of the world, but I have no doubt that it's going to become relevant in the future and it is important that is studied from that point of view as well so we understand better the ramifications of a currency like bitcoin.
greeklogos

Activity: 658
Merit: 152

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 09:22:42 PM

Well that's not only the university of Stanford that's been doing this there are many more institutions that are providing workshops for cryptocurrencies related stuff and giving suitable certificates to the people who are attending it .
That's showing how bitcoins is been accepted both professionally and educationally, Stanford is a big name and I think this will help tighten the grip of cryptocurrencies over the market.
All of those schools and stuff are happening somewhere overboard. I didn't hear nothing like this inside of my country (Serbia). Well, that fact that crypto got involved into educational process means that crypto currencies and everything about it were admitted as payment tool or progressive technology which is entering our life to stay for long.
BaraxLo

Activity: 910
Merit: 512

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 12:07:45 PM

This is one of the best news that we have on this forum. As you have said, these are reputed universities and colleges over the world and whatever they have devised for their students related syllabus and activities that comes after big research and industrial demand. Bitcoins are amazing too and they might got the intense need of time for the bitcoins to be taught to students.
green_fish

Activity: 153
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 12:53:46 PM

At zhejiang university in China, the block chain course will also be carried out, and the computer science and technology institute has established the block chain research center.

But students are not encouraged to invest in digital encryption money!
samputin

Activity: 1036
Merit: 294

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 02:33:30 PM

A course regarding cryptocurrency. So nice. This is a good sign that bitcoin is starting to be widely accepted. However, it will be under the Economics/Business Department. So this means that the focus would be on its impacts on economy, its rise and fall in price, the factors affecting fluctuations, and probably how to prevent those negatively affecting bitcoin. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Its just that, like others opinion, it would be much better if it will also be under the technological aspect, like programming, coding, and other computer related field because first and foremost, that is the backbone of cryptocurrency. But with that said, it's still a good thing.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████     
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████   
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
!
nazaididuan1

Activity: 350
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 02:40:19 PM

The application of blockchain is more and more widely studied. In the future, many universities will set up blockchain major!

Digital cryptographic currency is the product of block chain, in order to maintain the funds needed for the block!

Maybe a lot of universities will invest in digital cryptographic currency, but ignore the research of block chain technology!

⮘Pre-ICO Start - 27.04.2018⮚ ⮘https://wbb.io/⮚
orions.belt19

Activity: 686
Merit: 146

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 02:55:25 PM

It's great that a university has now come up with a course on cryptocurrency. There was said to be other courses made available in various other universities. Some may think that the course is more suitable to be put in the computer studies department because it's more concerned on coding and programming. What other people and crypto-users alike don't realize is that there's also a business and economic aspect to cryptocurrencies. It's worthwhile to be discussed by the academe and hopefully this would lead to better studies on crypto and Bitcoin.
Bugsbey

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 01:52:20 AM

Its good to know that a big and famous university like Stanford is acknowledging cryptocurrency. Studying crypto in school aside from economics and business can help us be successful in our venture here. Maybe there are also schools in other countries who are offering same as Stanford.
Indrawan77

Activity: 1274
Merit: 516

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 03:36:47 AM

Well its great, at least the government is kind of support blockchain and crypto, but in my opinion I think they should be more focus on the technical things, blockchain and btc still need a further development, when all infrastructure of crypto is finished, it wont be too difficult for people to used it for business, for now blockchain and crypto still can't be used for mass adoption, so technical development is more important
jamids

Activity: 616
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 03:56:48 AM

This is just a proof that cryptocurrency is here to stay. Some schools and universities are already offering courses about it so they wanted the people to know that there is a future with cryptourrencies and its role is important in the society. I hope it would be offered as well to other countries because people should be aware about it and not just base their judgments through mainstream media who are most likely bias about their news. If this course is offered then more parents would trust crypto because they would think that schools and universities would not offer it if it is just fraud or they cannot benefit from it.

BartS

Activity: 980

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 03:46:47 PM

Well its great, at least the government is kind of support blockchain and crypto, but in my opinion I think they should be more focus on the technical things, blockchain and btc still need a further development, when all infrastructure of crypto is finished, it wont be too difficult for people to used it for business, for now blockchain and crypto still can't be used for mass adoption, so technical development is more important
The government is not doing this, it is a university, besides we do not need the support of the government, we do not need them to develop anything so you seem to have the wrong idea but governments they do not develop anything, they are not creators of wealth or technology they are consumers of wealth and technology, all those gadgets that you see that the government has it's not because they have developed those things, they just use the money that they tax you in order to pay private companies to create stuff for them.
berrygood

Activity: 308
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 05:23:36 PM

They will probably focus on its economic aspect but lots of universities cover cryptocurrencies in related courses. It is far away from being an independent field of study for now.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: