Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:55:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-09 The Telegraph: Don’t laugh - Bitcoin is making a serious point  (Read 1021 times)
Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 10:10:01 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/liamhalligan/10438565/Dont-laugh-Bitcoin-is-making-a-serious-point.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Missionary

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 10:25:15 PM

Good read. Thx!

I am an evangelical missionary heading to China. Donations are welcome here (dedicated wallet): 1H8iswayfTaRb6oe2WjMCRmchBJHYyfx9z
You can find more information about my plans here: http://btcmission.com
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 04:02:48 PM

Great read indeed!

It will be extremely tough to control Bitcoin – unless governments close down the entire global internet, which is probably impossible. Yet what I find truly remarkable about the statement above is that the Fed can now envisage a time when nations themselves attempt to rely on cyber-currencies, which cannot be debased, in a kind of gold standard throwback – but without the geological and political vagaries of mining physical gold.

Dismiss Bitcoin as a speculative craze if you want to. I view it, for all its faults, as the genesis of an extremely important and far-reaching financial innovation.

davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 06:03:58 PM

I have just seen this in the print edition. I could hardly believe my eyes. It occupies an almost full page in a prominent part of the business section in one of the UK's most widely read "serious" newspapers. To take out an advert of that size in that spot would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds. This is serious publicity.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 06:11:48 PM

I have just seen this in the print edition. I could hardly believe my eyes. It occupies an almost full page in a prominent part of the business section in one of the UK's most widely read "serious" newspapers. To take out an advert of that size in that spot would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds. This is serious publicity.

Awesome  Smiley

protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:21:51 PM

Yeah, I also saw the article in print and did a double-take! It's worth noting that not only is the Telegraph a pretty serious paper, but it's political stance has historically been Conservative, unlike many of the more liberal UK papers that are covering Bitcoin (eg the Independent/the Guardian).

Great to see such an intelligent article in the mainstream UK press!
qwerty555

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 02:07:08 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 02:41:36 AM by qwerty555

Yeah, I also saw the article in print and did a double-take! It's worth noting that not only is the Telegraph a pretty serious paper, but it's political stance has historically been Conservative, unlike many of the more liberal UK papers that are covering Bitcoin (eg the Independent/the Guardian).

Great to see such an intelligent article in the mainstream UK press!

Conservatives (the members not the leadership who have no choice) who mostly support reduced Govt spending  (not printing to pay bills) and others who actually know from History what the eventual effects of printing too much money lead to will have identified that a "crypto" with a finite supply will solve many of the issues they dont like about fiat. It is extremely likely that once they fully understand the function and application of Bitcoin style systems they will push their Party to to attempt to CREATE THEIR OWN NATIONAL CRYPTO Bitcoin clone. Prior to that they will probably further test the system by allowing bitcoin and others to freely trade in the UK where any flaws can be detected, monitored and remedied. Taxing transactions and collection will be near the top of the list. This is lower risk (politically and financially) for them and will wait until a near perfect system has been proven , tried and tested with widespread acceptance before they make their own move for the National.  

There is no possible scenario that I can see that the altruistic hope of a single global currency will be accepted by any major Nation as  if they cannot control they will be extremely terrified that another nation can (market manipulation of prices) and use it against their own National interests.

It should be noted though that inflation is a Government tool and a TAX which they may not wish to give up.

http://www.quebecoislibre.org/001028-11.htm

http://archive.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul334.html

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=inflation+is+a+tax&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=QJWBUsPYLMaYkgX264D4BA
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: