Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:21:06 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I own a 64k sq/ft Nuclear Bunker - Bitcoin Hosting?  (Read 2068 times)
FalloutComplex (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 11:03:29 PM
Last edit: November 10, 2013, 04:22:10 AM by FalloutComplex

Hello,

First time poster long time lurker.

I have had various discussions with different bitcoin guys, but I am left still unclear as to how I might do this. I have recently become the owner of an original 1960s Cold War bunker located in Canada. This particular bunker used to be used for secure data storage and communications for NATO from the 1970s to the 1990s. That was only a portion of the bunker though. The entire facility was designed for 350 people to survive a chemical, nuclear, or biological event.

Now the reason I am posting here is because I have been wanting to do something with bitcoin and the bunker. At the moment though we are at a crossroads and we have started a crowd fund to allow others to get involved and help us get through. I would like to offer some kind of bitcoin related perk to start with some bitcoin stuff. Some have suggested hosting, others a wallet service. Both have variables that make it difficult to peg down a single or at least a handful of perks.

So I am looking for any feedback on ideas for what we might introduce as a bitcoin offer as part of our crowd fund that is currently live. Sooner the better.. only 23 days to go.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks for your help!

Jonathan

Relevant Information:

Facebook Page for the bunker: http://www.facebook.com/Debert.Diefenbunker
Indiegogo Crowd Fund Campaign: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save-the-historical-fallout-shelter/x/4309142
RW02

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 11:10:51 PM

datacenter.

get a few high speed internet cables run to it and use it as a data center and secure co host location. as a result youll look appealing to bitcoin miners to
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 11:18:26 PM

datacenter.

get a few high speed internet cables run to it and use it as a data center and secure co host location. as a result youll look appealing to bitcoin miners to

Thanks for your reply RW02.. We already have diverse multiple fiber uplinks going to the facility.

We are already building data center operations there. Our current business has been hosting for several years. My question was more specific in terms of what we can do that would be a good perk for bitcoiners.

As far as colocation goes, we are only going to offer managed services. Colocation of other hardware would be without any physical access to the data center node. Not only for security, but to keep it from becoming contaminated. We need to comply with ISO standards for clean room operations in order to maintain Sun and Cisco warranties.
tripppn

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 12:01:40 AM

I'm not really sure what you mean by a "perk" but if your interested in hosting mining equipment you may want to shoot DZ a pm from this thread.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325618.0
He sets up groupbuys and he currently has a hosting facility that seems to be working out great but I'm sure he is always looking for more space especially since he seems to be expanding his operation soon.  If nothing else he would be a good resource to bounce ideas off of since he has successfully set this up.

“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.”
― Frank Zappa
ScryptAsic

Activity: 647
Merit: 501

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 01:33:12 AM

Hello,

First time poster long time lurker.

I have had various discussions with different bitcoin guys, but I am left still unclear as to how I might do this. I have recently become the owner of an original 1960s Cold War bunker located in Canada. This particular bunker used to be used for secure data storage and communications for NATO from the 1970s to the 1990s. That was only a portion of the bunker though. The entire facility was designed for 350 people to survive a chemical, nuclear, or biological event.

Now the reason I am posting here is because I have been wanting to do something with bitcoin and the bunker. At the moment though we are at a crossroads and we have started a crowd fund to allow others to get involved and help us get through. I would like to offer some kind of bitcoin related perk to start with some bitcoin stuff. Some have suggested hosting, others a wallet service. Both have variables that make it difficult to peg down a single or at least a handful of perks.

So I am looking for any feedback on ideas for what we might introduce as a bitcoin offer as part of our crowd fund that is currently live. Sooner the better.. only 23 days to go.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks for your help!

Jonathan

Relevant Information:

Facebook Page for the bunker: http://www.facebook.com/Debert.Diefenbunker
Indiegogo Crowd Fund Campaign: /iXrp5C]http://[Suspicious link removed]/iXrp5C

Host a big mining rig and sell Hash.....
lateblooming

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 01:45:51 AM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasperhamill/2013/11/05/this-swiss-cryptocurrency-trader-will-store-your-bitcoin-in-a-nuclear-bunker/

http://glari.ch/node/32
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 04:28:46 AM

I'm not really sure what you mean by a "perk" but if your interested in hosting mining equipment you may want to shoot DZ a pm from this thread.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325618.0
He sets up groupbuys and he currently has a hosting facility that seems to be working out great but I'm sure he is always looking for more space especially since he seems to be expanding his operation soon.  If nothing else he would be a good resource to bounce ideas off of since he has successfully set this up.

Hi Tripppn,

Sorry, it looks like my link to the crowd fund had been 'suspicious' and was removed. I added a direct link instead of using google redirect. If you look at what a crowd fund does.. it allows people to get involved with a project that they want to get behind.. in exchange a 'perk' is often offered that gives some kind of value back to the contributor.

Once we are in full production of course we will be doing hosting. Until we get there though I am looking for a way to bring bitcoin into our crowd fund. Perhaps aligning with some kind of group buy to sell hashing wouldn't be a bad idea.

Will PM like you suggested.. thanks!
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 04:39:57 AM

Host a big mining rig and sell Hash.....

So is your suggestion for the crowd fund to basically make it a group buy to sell hash?
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 04:57:06 AM

Someone showed me this article recently. Pretty cool... Our specs would be a little more extensive than this.. but similar I guess.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 05:19:59 AM

How did you start a crowd funding endeavor without knowing what you want funding for?    I don't understand what the point of storing anything but yourself in a nuclear bungee l bunker is.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 06:17:54 AM

How did you start a crowd funding endeavor without knowing what you want funding for?    I don't understand what the point of storing anything but yourself in a nuclear bungee l bunker is.

Hello cp1,

We know exactly what the funding is for.. it's detailed rather extensively in our crowd fund. The question stems from potentially making the crowd fund  more appealing the bitcoin holders rather than just credit card and paypal. With that of course, we want to offer something that would be useful as well... like some of the ideas that others have offered.

The point of storing anything in a nuclear bunker is security to put it simply.

So back to the thread.. do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:01:10 AM

So back to the thread.. do you have any suggestions?

Could you change your Facebook cover photo to show a tiny Bitcoin logo in one of the corners, so we know you are actually involved in the project?

Hi Vod,

Fair enough.. the Forbes story mentioned earlier here just posted asking if anyone following the bunker actually uses Bitcoins.

Confirmed?
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:15:58 AM

Confirmed how?  I just reloaded the FB page - what am I looking for?

The Forbes story on the Nuclear Bunker that is storing Bitcoins. It's the latest story with the Swiss lady singing in the mountains. Kinda weird image to lead with on that story... but there it is.
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:29:03 AM

Confirmed how?  I just reloaded the FB page - what am I looking for?

The Forbes story on the Nuclear Bunker that is storing Bitcoins. It's the latest story with the Swiss lady singing in the mountains. Kinda weird image to lead with on that story... but there it is.

What I'm trying to do is confirm that YOU, FalloutComplex, are the owner of that Facebook page.  I am also building a complex in Northern Alberta, so I'm looking for other people that share my same interests.

Can you show us that you are indeed the owner of that page by changing the cover photo to include a little bitcoin logo in one of the corners?  

Yes.. we just posted that story to the page. The Forbes story.. after you asked I posted it as confirmation. Seems like confirmation enough without getting too evasive and sending out image change updates. You can also simply send a message to the page and see if the reply you get says we are who we say we are.

For additional verification.. just made a comment in the same story which we also posted as the page administrator of an image of a bitcoin. Again, trying not to be too evasive and simply working it into the current discussion.
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:42:48 AM

You have to understand that ANYONE can post a story to a Facebook page.  I just want to confirm that this bitcointalk account owns that Facebook page. 

Are you unable to quickly edit the image and change the page?

You see the posts being made are by the page administrator.. thats us. Ok.. will just make a lame comment following the bitcoin image comment saying.. 'Fallout Complex is going to be awesome!'

Hope this suffices.
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:53:04 AM

You have to understand that ANYONE can post a story to a Facebook page.  I just want to confirm that this bitcointalk account owns that Facebook page. 

Are you unable to quickly edit the image and change the page?

You see the posts being made are by the page administrator.. thats us. Ok.. will just make a lame comment following the bitcoin image comment saying.. 'Fallout Complex is going to be awesome!'

Hope this suffices.

Can you post "Hi Vod" as the page administrator?  That will suffice.  Smiley  You can delete it after.

I hope you understand we get a lot of scammers here, and we need to verify people are who they say they are.

Comment made directly under the fallout complex is cool comment.. verify asap.. thanks.
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 08:06:26 AM

Verified.  If you want I'll delete all my messages here, you can delete yours, and everyone is happy. I'll contact you once I go public.  Smiley

Ok.. that's fine.. in the mean time you have any suggestions on the thread topic relating to bitcoin and a possible 'perk' offering through the crowd fund?
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 08:12:30 AM

I have confirmed that this bitcointalk user is the owner of that Facebook page.  Smiley

This subject interests me because I am also building a survival community in Northern Alberta.  

I don't currently have any ideas other than hosting bitcoin miners... especially if you have the internet connection.

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 09:30:50 AM

Accept bitcoin for your hosting and have a script for bitcoind on vps's!

FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 06:09:11 PM

Accept bitcoin for your hosting and have a script for bitcoind on vps's!

Hi Nahtnam,

I have looked at a few doing that. We haven't done much testing with it to determine what kind of resources would be required. Certainly something we will look at once we have our initial network up and running. What would you like to see?

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: