Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:05:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I own a 64k sq/ft Nuclear Bunker - Bitcoin Hosting?  (Read 2068 times)
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 06:50:52 PM

Accept bitcoin for your hosting and have a script for bitcoind on vps's!

Hi Nahtnam,

I have looked at a few doing that. We haven't done much testing with it to determine what kind of resources would be required. Certainly something we will look at once we have our initial network up and running. What would you like to see?

Thanks!

Nothing else. I guess you could also run game servers?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:12:55 PM

How does one own something like that?  Shocked

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Sword Smith

Activity: 406
Merit: 286

Neptune, Scalable Privacy

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:17:06 PM

The best thing that bunker can do for Bitcoin is probably to set up a couple of nodes and some miners. That makes Bitcoin resistant to nuclear bombs which is pretty cool and no small feat. If you want to do more for Bitcoin you can make the node into a "supernode" which is connected to hundreds or thousands of peers and thus increases the speed of the network.

Futhermore, you could sell hosting in your datacenter for bitcoins. That would also be a valuable addition.

You could also buy tens or hundreds of ASICS, start a Bitcoin mining company, and sell shares in the company. But that only makes sense if your electricity prices are low, I think.

FalloutComplex (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 01:33:44 AM

I don't know.. kind of amazing I got this now.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 02:17:40 PM

You don't know how/why you own it?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 02:24:51 PM

You don't know how/why you own it?

No.. I know why..  your question of 'how does one own' seemed more directed as to the question of how you can go about buying and owning bunkers etc. The answer to that is I don't really know.. I managed to get this one and that's the extent of my experience. I am not in the business of searching out and buying up bunkers.. so to answer 'how does one own something like that?' .. simply I don't know.
freethink2013

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:27:30 PM

Read his crowdfunding page:

"On November 21, 2012 this historical Cold War Diefenbunker went up for tax auction and I became the proud new owner of the facility after the six month redemption period expired May 21, 2013. Well, almost." http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save-the-historical-fallout-shelter
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 03:41:50 PM

"On November 21, 2012 this historical Cold War Diefenbunker went up for tax auction and I became the proud new owner of the facility after the six month redemption period expired May 21, 2013. Well, almost." http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save-the-historical-fallout-shelter
Won't hit the goal though.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 04:28:38 PM

My serious recommendation would be to make a datacenter out of it.  Get lots of dark fiber directly from the nearest largest POP.  Needless to say lots of juice to power the place.  Polish it and make it appear military grade.  Finally, the fun part, sell to your government! Tax money is always guaranteed. And you'll ink heavy contracts.  Sell your service to the highest branches of government.  Especially the defense and intelligence department.  They'll like your setup.  Perhaps you can specialize in one specific field if you don't have the capacity to house an entire government's operation.
Make a secret database/darknet base and keep it for yourself.
Don't sell to no government.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 04:51:28 PM

My serious recommendation would be to make a datacenter out of it.  Get lots of dark fiber directly from the nearest largest POP.  Needless to say lots of juice to power the place.  Polish it and make it appear military grade.  Finally, the fun part, sell to your government! Tax money is always guaranteed. And you'll ink heavy contracts.  Sell your service to the highest branches of government.  Especially the defense and intelligence department.  They'll like your setup.  Perhaps you can specialize in one specific field if you don't have the capacity to house an entire government's operation.
Make a secret database/darknet base and keep it for yourself.
Don't sell to no government.

Orrrrr install tor servers and run the next silk road! Tongue

CrypticBits

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:52:55 PM

Why restrict it to Bitcoins? Rent out " safe hosting space " etcetera: an extremely safe place for people who want to host data, sites or anything alike against a competitive price.
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 06:25:41 PM

Won't hit the goal though.

Thanks for that LaudaM ... way to win friends.

Perhaps you could have said.. you need help reaching that goal.. here is what I can offer.
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 06:55:57 PM

bitcoin convention space
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 07:38:18 PM

Thanks for this Tazmo.. that's exactly part of what we are doing. Thus why some of our perk offerings on the crowdfund are cloud storage.

Our data security node once served NATO.. so thats not an issue. We already have fiber into the building.. and benefit from nearly free cooling with our location offering a lot of free air.

There are some gov opportunities in this region I know of actually. The market is severely under served.

This is all a given.. my question really had to do with the crowd fund and bitcoin. Thus far I am getting the impression I should make the crowd fund some kind of group buy to have the operation hosted at the bunker, and also serve the bitcoin network as a supernode.

Perhaps depending on how we fashion the group buy we will host it free for an entire year or something like that. Thoughts?

Thanks!
btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 07:50:41 PM

offer dedicated servers and VPS.

Anyone can pay anonymously via bitcoin and get a fully anon account.   only signup requirement:  a billing email address.  Or even better: make the billing email optional.  In that case, it is up to them to make regular payments before the cutoff deadline each month.  Offer reasonable prices.

If they violate TOS or do not pay monthly fee, you shut them down.

To my knowledge, no one presently offers such a service (at least not affordably) but bitcoin makes it possible.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
MassDivide

Activity: 27

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 07:55:30 PM

Call it "OffTheGrid Hosting".

And offer super secure and low end boxes for any type of digital currency!

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 07:56:26 PM

Call it "OffTheGrid Hosting".

And offer super secure and low end boxes for any type of digital currency!

Haha, yes. That would be a good name! But do focus on bitcoin more than other alt currencies.

FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 08:13:06 PM

offer dedicated servers and VPS.

Anyone can pay anonymously via bitcoin and get a fully anon account.   only signup requirement:  a billing email address.  Or even better: make the billing email optional.  In that case, it is up to them to make regular payments before the cutoff deadline each month.  Offer reasonable prices.

If they violate TOS or do not pay monthly fee, you shut them down.

To my knowledge, no one presently offers such a service (at least not affordably) but bitcoin makes it possible.

So I want to be clear.. you are suggesting I should offer dedicated servers and VPSs as part of my crowd fund perks and give them that anon option with bitcoin?

I thought there was dozens of bitcoin accepting hosts out there already. What about this you are saying is not being offered as a service? More important question might be why such a service might not be offered.

Thanks for your feedback!
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 08:27:43 PM

My pitch was serious.  There is 10000x more money in government contracts than SR 1.0 + 2.0 combined. Wink

There will always be more money doing illegal stuff than clean/legal.

You will always have more power if you know how to leverage attorneys, DOJ, bankers and politicians.  That's just present day Earth. Smiley
I've fixed this for you, as obviously you have never participated in any big illegal business if any at all.
You mister have no clue what you're talking about.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
FalloutComplex (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 02:15:32 PM

My pitch was serious.  There is 10000x more money in government contracts than SR 1.0 + 2.0 combined. Wink

There will always be more money doing illegal stuff than clean/legal.

You will always have more power if you know how to leverage attorneys, DOJ, bankers and politicians.  That's just present day Earth. Smiley
I've fixed this for you, as obviously you have never participated in any big illegal business if any at all.
You mister have no clue what you're talking about.

While I understand being anonymous on the Internet (what ever that means) you 'think' you are protecting yourself.. but Tazmo is right... in the end you are marginalized with that type of stuff.. and lose any and all support from the public.

You lose money, you lost nothing
You lose a friend, you lost something
You lose family, you lost a lot.
You lost your name, you lost everything.
 - Chinese Proverb.

I operate by this code... so while I know a lot of people around here like to look like big bad ass underground big pimp'en mo-moneymoney gangstas, it all amounts to nothing without a name.

So yeah, legitimacy in our business operations matters. How do you trust a data center operation who is willing to do criminal activities? If they can do that, there is no way they are going to honor any kind of SLA for the services you rely on them for.

As for the big money.. just our current plan for data center operations could generate tens of millions in revenue, and make this piece of Canadian history something everyone can look on and be proud of. Go the way you suggest and maybe there is tens of millions? I have only heard of drug, weapons, and human trafficing doing that.. the risk reward makes it all seem really ridiculous to consider.. Gladly take the tens of millions and make everyone happy at the same time.. and not lose our name.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: