Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:02:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH moves to Casper; coins leave circulation; increase in ETH price?  (Read 101 times)
newalchemy (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 06:49:33 PM

I've been tumbling this thought around for the last few days.

ETH moving to casper is designed to make block validation as accessible as possible. Anyone with ETH can validate blocks, and the more ETH you have, the more blocks you can validate. It replaces miners with Coin holders.

With PoS, you are incentivized to remove your ETH from circulation, in order to stake it for more ETH. So when Casper rolls out, the will be a market pull away from circulating supply, towards locking ETH in staking contracts. Reduction of supply, while demand stays to same = price goes up.

Any thoughts on this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 07:49:35 PM

i'm far from convinced ethereum will ever go PoS myself. it's such a huge change that it's gonna be contentious in the extreme no matter what people are claiming right now. it's already been put back.

i'm also kind of surprised they haven't researched their own algorithm. PoS has no shortage of detractors and there must be plenty of them within ethereum's ranks.
newalchemy (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 08:56:26 PM

i'm far from convinced ethereum will ever go PoS myself. it's such a huge change that it's gonna be contentious in the extreme no matter what people are claiming right now. it's already been put back.

i'm also kind of surprised they haven't researched their own algorithm. PoS has no shortage of detractors and there must be plenty of them within ethereum's ranks.

I dont see it being contentious. It is a huge change, don't get me wrong, but 'crypto' and 'huge change' are overlapping characteristics. But mainly is uncontentious because it makes any token holder a potential block validator, so it is incentivizing to a much broader part of the Eth community.

You're gonna have to go into more detail with what you mean by "detractors", the development team seems to have consensus among them
European Central Bank
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 09:04:45 PM

I dont see it being contentious. It is a huge change, don't get me wrong, but 'crypto' and 'huge change' are overlapping characteristics. But mainly is uncontentious because it makes any token holder a potential block validator, so it is incentivizing to a much broader part of the Eth community.

You're gonna have to go into more detail with what you mean by "detractors", the development team seems to have consensus among them

have you not noticed the years of battle about a simple block size change in bitcoin? can you begin to imagine how contentious an algorithm change would be?

obviously bitcoin is a very different beast, but i wouldn't expect something this fundamental to smoothly go through. they couldn't avoid the creation of ethereum classic, this won't be any different.

ethereum was absolutely tiny back then in comparison to now and some believed its existence was at stake yet it was still opposed by some. these days there are vested interests and entrenched opinions.

i also don't believe every single person involved in ethereum is a believer in PoS.

go and look up nothing at stake.
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 09:16:03 PM

As far as I understood they will go half POS, half POW. If it happens then yes it should make supply shorter because people are rewarded for holding, but then there is another flaw which is that some people might not consider to spend or use their ethereum because they are getting stakes.

Anyway talks about ether is going for POS are over 1year old as this is serious update and as European Central Bank says it won't be easy to implement such features as you already have many miners and people which are happy with situation as how it is now.
European Central Bank
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 09:42:01 PM

and this attitude - https://twitter.com/matt_odell/status/983772406648012801

is not going to reassure ethereum investors, developers, users or miners.

i don't think the heat regarding this has even gotten started.
alex-nn

Activity: 462
Merit: 104

In Binance we trust!

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 12:40:57 AM

Rich guys will buy a lot of ETH nodes (about 1500 ETH for 1 node) so price will make ATH, i expect about $2K for ETH

► HackenAI ◄ ♦ HackenAI - Personal Cybersecurity Application ♦ ► HackenAI ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Facebook|Twitter|Medium|Reddit|Telegram|Whitepaper
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: