Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:23:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should there be a BIP for tracking stolen coins and "dirtiness" percentage?
Yes - 7 (14.9%)
No - 38 (80.9%)
I like to steal coins ):-( - 2 (4.3%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should there be a BIP for tracking stolen coins and "dirtiness" percentage  (Read 2054 times)
prophetx (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 02:17:16 AM

00 -clean
01 -dirty
11 -stolen

I am sure more  digits can be used to create a percentage of the mix. I\m not a programmer but I am sure someone on here has the mathematical skills to figure this out.

I ask this because I think it is f--ked up that people steal other peoples money.  

This is not what this should be about.  If you are smart enough to crack into a safe, you are smart enough to make money without harming others.  If you are doing it to make a statement there are better ways to do it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 02:22:04 AM

I think a voluntary system is perfectly fine - i.e. bitcoin clients and services that recognize an address as being marked as 'bad' and refuse to process any transactions from it.

The major problem is.. who gets to say which addresses get marked as dirty?  What would the burden of proof be?

If I can lay a claim against random person that they stole my Bitcoin after hacking my account 'somehow' - when in reality, I paid it to them for some services, but there's no paperwork of it, and the default is to just grant the claim.. that random person is going to be a might bit upset.

p2pbucks

Activity: 642

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 02:33:44 AM

No
prophetx (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 03:11:40 AM

I think a voluntary system is perfectly fine - i.e. bitcoin clients and services that recognize an address as being marked as 'bad' and refuse to process any transactions from it.

The major problem is.. who gets to say which addresses get marked as dirty?  What would the burden of proof be?

If I can lay a claim against random person that they stole my Bitcoin after hacking my account 'somehow' - when in reality, I paid it to them for some services, but there's no paperwork of it, and the default is to just grant the claim.. that random person is going to be a might bit upset.

yea that is the major issue, how to deal with that part

maybe some kind of voting system.  not sure figured it is worth a conversation.

all i know is that when something like this happens it impacts the lives of real people.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:15:15 AM

No. No.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:30:33 AM

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but there are no actual coins so you will have to come up with another idea.

Anyway, this is in the wrong forum. You should move it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:35:47 AM

Well, unfortunately you won't get much of a conversation - you're far more likely to just get a bunch of "No" replies Wink

Mostly the knee-jerk reaction 'no' is from people fearing that this would allow governments, or just powers-that-be, to start blocking anything they disagree with, further regulate its use, etc.  Hence my inclusion of the word 'voluntarily' (note that by design it would have to be, since the protocol doesn't mandate and require it in any way - so even if 99.9% of the clients/services adhered, the other 0.1% could still confirm/etc.)   The follow-up 'no' comes from people who think that such an approach would effectively split the Bitcoin community (into those who adhere to the blocks, and those who don't), which is not good for the ecosystem.  There's some truth to that, though it's difficult to quantify.  One of the more worrisome factors there would be if a popular enough mixing service decided not to adhere.  Next up is mostly the 'no' responses from people who just dislike any form of oversight and lean heavily on self-reliance and personal responsibility - in this case, "why should everybody else suffer just because of your failure to protect your Bitcoin?"

Can't really blame them, though - this discussion has been had several times before.  Not sure how easy to find via search here, but try Google.

drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:40:04 AM

This will be great! So every new Bitcoin user will be even more confused as their client tells them the coins his mum is sending have a 0.4% chance of being stolen...

Great idea for adoption!

Where do I get my 0.4% figure from? The fact that eventually everyone will have a little stolen coins on them, no way around this. (Similar to how everyone has a fraction of the original 10,000 bitcoin pizza coins)

Sorry to be so negative but you need to consider how new people to Bitcoin are going to feel when .4% of their wallet is tainted. Makes Bitcoin look real legit.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:43:44 AM

Consider:

Thief sends 100 bitcoin to just dice. Now a small % of Just-Dice 60,000 bitcoin address has stolen coins. Now Everyone for all time that deposit and withdraw have a small % of those stolen coins.

If this confuses you think of coins as numbers, thats all they are. So 100 into 60,000 is 0.16% of all those coins. Now everyone that withdraws contains 0.16% taint from stolen coins.

If those coins hit an exchanges main wallet eventually every Bitcoin user will have a small amount of tainted stolen coins.
bitfromit

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 04:52:57 AM

No,

reasons :
1) coins are only ever "probably" stolen in the first place
2) starting down the slippery slope towards losing fungibility
3) more code

David M

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 05:31:16 AM

No
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 06:14:39 AM

Fungability. Do you speak it??
keatonatron

Activity: 308

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:12:56 AM

It's a good idea for an add-on service, which I think people are already working on: an independent database that keeps track of "dirty" coins.

Similar to the address labels on Blockchain.info, I guess. I like this idea better because it lets people choose to participate.

For example, the DPR coins might be attractive to someone who wants them as a memento of Bitcoin history, but to someone else they might be unwanted as a symbol of government intervention. Letting people see that those coins have that history, if they choose to look it up, and then letting them decide for themselves if that affects their value one way or the other sounds like a much better solution than simply telling someone their coins are stolen.

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:14:39 AM

No.

A required attribute of a currency is fungibility.   If Bitcoin loses fungibility it has lost its purpose for existing. 
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:17:43 AM

Undecided really Undecided
NLNico
Legendary
hacker

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1289

DiceSites.com owner

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:26:51 AM

I thought "chargebacks" of people whose account got "hacked" is 1 of the biggest problems of PayPal and the beauty of Bitcoins? :O

Seriously tho, an independent database just for information could be cool. And somehow a wallet or way to make hacks less common would be cool. Of course all the nerds here (including me Cheesy) can easily say "what you hold 100 btc in a hot wallet?" "what you use your password on another site too?!" "what you didn't use 2FA?!" "what you still run flash and java in your browser?!"  But the reality is that most people do that and to get bitcoins more mainstream these issues somehow have to be resolved. Saying it's the problem of the user is not the best solution I think. I would not recommend my mother to hold a lot of bitcoins at this moment. But what the real solution is.. I don't know.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:30:36 AM

I thought "chargebacks" of people whose account got "hacked" is 1 of the biggest problems of PayPal and the beauty of Bitcoins? :O

Seriously tho, an independent database just for information could be cool. And somehow a wallet or way to make hacks less common would be cool. Of course all the nerds here (including me Cheesy) can easily say "what you hold 100 btc in a hot wallet?" "what you use your password on another site too?!" "what you didn't use 2FA?!" "what you still run flash and java in your browser?!"  But the reality is that most people do that and to get bitcoins more mainstream these issues somehow have to be resolved. Saying it's the problem of the user is not the best solution I think. I would not recommend my mother to hold a lot of bitcoins at this moment. But what the real solution is.. I don't know.

What would be the solution if your mother walked around with 1KG gold bar and someone stole it from her?  Theft happens.  The "solution" to preventing (or more realistically reducing it) occurs PRIOR to the theft not after.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:34:39 AM

Coins that get stolen are usually someone's fault. Negligence is the cause 99% of the time. 1% because some hacker brute forced your cold wallet private key, and maybe not even.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:35:26 AM

Fungability. Do you speak it??
Fungibility. Tongue
NLNico
Legendary
hacker

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1289

DiceSites.com owner

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:42:22 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2013, 07:55:35 AM by NLNico

Seriously tho, an independent database just for information could be cool. And somehow a wallet or way to make hacks less common would be cool. Of course all the nerds here (including me Cheesy) can easily say "what you hold 100 btc in a hot wallet?" "what you use your password on another site too?!" "what you didn't use 2FA?!" "what you still run flash and java in your browser?!"  But the reality is that most people do that and to get bitcoins more mainstream these issues somehow have to be resolved. Saying it's the problem of the user is not the best solution I think. I would not recommend my mother to hold a lot of bitcoins at this moment. But what the real solution is.. I don't know.

What would be the solution if your mother walked around with 1KG gold bar and someone stole it from her?  Theft happens.  The "solution" to preventing (or more realistically reducing it) occurs PRIOR to the theft not after.
Oh yes, my whole "chargeback" thing was meant as a disadvantage of PayPal and something that we would probably not want with Bitcoins Wink I def. think that we should try to prevent the thefts.

What I mean is that when the bitcoins got stolen it's mostly because the user didn't had a secure computer, password, put it on a online wallet owned by a 18 year old anon, or ways to protect their BTC. So we as bitcoin users mostly just say "ah yeh, that's your own fault". However I think most people, especially the mainstream, have no idea how to protect their BTC. So I think there must be more secure ways to easily protect BTC without any knowledge. But like I said, I am just identifying something that's IMO a problem for bitcoins to be used by more people.. and I do not really know the solution.

edit: ah and the chargebacks are disadvantage for many companies, traders etc as it gets abused a lot. Obviously for the buyer/mainstream it does gives some reassurance. Still I do not think that is a solution or even possible with bitcoins. Perhaps even against the nature of bitcoins.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: