Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:34:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tithing  (Read 3383 times)
EzCheese (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 06:38:21 AM

Do any of you religious folk practice tithing every month and if so why or why not? 

In the past few days I found out that a friend of mine gives 10% a month to his very wealthy church.  Yet, the dumb ass is massively in debt, spends 100% of his check (tithing included) and refuses to stop giving his hard earned money to his church.  ($500+ a month)

I sit here shaking my head but it's his money and it's his choice, but I do call him a fool.  While preaching against gluttony, the church sure does accept your money with open hands.  In my opinion they should be teaching simple economics, savings, paying off bills or putting money away for your children's college. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 12:14:10 PM

No in fact, I respect the country Finland for actually having the balls to place a tax on the church considering the amount of money they get tax free, if there god is all powerful, then why is it that he can't make his own money? I always think twice and look up any sort of charity now before I consider supporting them in anything because you always find the big ones at least are always skimming money off the top and taking a percentage to pay for 'Administration'.

The majority of them are just trying to guilt trip you into giving them money and then they don't even help the people that they claim to be, you can think badly of me for saying this if you like, but the world would be suffering a lot less if these organisations were actually helping people like they said they would. There's also a problem where a lot of these schemes will only temporarily fix whatever is wrong in the part of the world they're helping rather than providing a more long term solution.
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:33:15 PM

I know the Mormon (LDS) church is very strict about collecting 10% tithe from its members.

A Mormon friend of mine said his pastor actually demands to see paychecks to make sure they are getting their cut!

But, Mormons really do put their tithing to good use from what I see. If there is ever World War III, they will be ready Smiley
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:37:43 PM

In my opinion they should be teaching simple economics, savings, paying off bills or putting money away for your children's college. 

How would this help the church?

Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:45:36 PM

In my opinion they should be teaching simple economics, savings, paying off bills or putting money away for your children's college. 

How would this help the church?

Churches aren't there to help you, they are there for you to help.

Oh they might do good sometimes, to keep you in... And they use the people for that...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:52:13 PM

there are so many people in this world, and each person is a unique individual. with that said, i really don't understand how people can put their full faith in an institution that is designed to sap all of your worth from you. sometimes i feel like i live in a different dimension from what seems like half of the world.

i wasn't even raised with any particular religion, but even as a child i felt the guilt and fear of being non-believer who would be cast to hell by jesus and his dad. so then i went to a church and listened to them preach about how i am the lamb of god, and any of my possessions are to be remitted to the true owner.. what the fuck? i think that was the point where i absolutely knew that i'd never be a christian.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 12:35:54 AM

so then i went to a church and listened to them preach about how i am the lamb of god, and any of my possessions are to be remitted to the true owner.. what the fuck? i think that was the point where i absolutely knew that i'd never be a christian.
I think the meaning of that is that you can't take your possessions with you when you die.

But let's be real, no church should mandate you to pay.  As shouldn't the government.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 12:43:15 AM

so then i went to a church and listened to them preach about how i am the lamb of god, and any of my possessions are to be remitted to the true owner.. what the fuck? i think that was the point where i absolutely knew that i'd never be a christian.
I think the meaning of that is that you can't take your possessions with you when you die.

But let's be real, no church should mandate you to pay.  As shouldn't the government.

Church people are gullible.  The church knows they can blindly ask for money and get it.

The government is different.  IF you pay taxes (which I doubt you ever have), you're not giving it blindly.  You know it goes to such things as roads, social services and defense.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 12:48:26 AM

Never heard about such thing at tithing. I'm disappointed that it is not related to tits Sad

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 01:03:52 AM

Church people are gullible.  The church knows they can blindly ask for money and get it.

The government is different.  IF you pay taxes (which I doubt you ever have), you're not giving it blindly.  You know it goes to such things as roads, social services and defense.
Don't forget the slaughtering of our neighbors for oil!  And an oppressive drug war that challenges your freedom to think and kills tens of thousands yearly.

That's a big part of it.  The thing is, we could build roads without a government.  But we couldn't have several indefinite (preemptive) wars going on in the absence of government.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 08:51:26 AM

Don't forget the slaughtering of our neighbors for oil!  And an oppressive drug war that challenges your freedom to think and kills tens of thousands yearly.

That's a big part of it.  The thing is, we could build roads without a government.  But we couldn't have several indefinite (preemptive) wars going on in the absence of government.
Holy crap... Dank is making sense for once

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 07:26:26 PM

unless you guys want satan to give you anal sex in hell, you better pay money to your local church so they can buy nice things with it. they are god's messengers after all.

the lord shall bless his children with abundance.. and it only requires 10% per month.

btw, i would totally pretend to be a mormon during the end times... but it probably won't work since everyone will do it, in which case the church would probably grow to become even more powerful.
EzCheese (OP)

Activity: 137

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 08:07:37 PM

I know the Mormon (LDS) church is very strict about collecting 10% tithe from its members.

A Mormon friend of mine said his pastor actually demands to see paychecks to make sure they are getting their cut!

But, Mormons really do put their tithing to good use from what I see. If there is ever World War III, they will be ready Smiley

I'm not surprised they would do that, but what a crock of shit

I admire the way LDS folk take care of one another, but in order to be part of the "care circle" you have to join their club and pay the dues (and not be black).  No thank you...  Similar to the Amish, you'll be taken care of, but you have to play by their rules and listen to the elders.   

AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:53:06 PM

I'm not surprised they would do that, but what a crock of shit

I admire the way LDS folk take care of one another, but in order to be part of the "care circle" you have to join their club and pay the dues (and not be black).  No thank you...  Similar to the Amish, you'll be taken care of, but you have to play by their rules and listen to the elders.   

Unfortunately some of the groups are run by corrupt, selfish, and criminal idiots (see Warren Jeffs), but they are usually in the minority.

Amish are very admirable. Although the show Amish Mafia really tries to show another side of it, LOL.

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 11:41:52 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2013, 11:56:54 PM by Vod

Unfortunately some of the groups are run by corrupt, selfish, and criminal idiots (see Warren Jeffs), but they are usually in the minority.

Are you claiming that every one of your sect leaders are just, honorable and honest?  If so, how are all the young boys being molested?

The only reason you are a christian is because of where in the world you were born.  Had you been born in India, for example, you wouldn't be a christian.  Don't knock one cult unless you are willing to knock them all, because that makes you a hypocrite.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:47:32 PM

If  you are a Jew, your tithe is not only 10% but you get 30% because it's 3 kinds of tithes. Plus another 10% for the tax. BUT the tithe is used to help people and the tax helps them defend their little parcel of land against invasion.

So to think that tithing is only 10% means that it doesn't follow the Hebraic roots/law. But a simple form of taxation. Being said all that, giving is something to be done by heart (given cheerfully) not just being obliged. And oh its not only giving in the institutional churches but it means giving to people in dire need.

So have you donated to the Philippines?
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:48:41 PM

The only reason you are a christian is because of where in the world you were born.  Had you been born in India, for example, you wouldn't be a christian.  Don't knock one cult unless you are willing to knock them all, because that makes you a hypocrite.

Depends where in India. In the west (formerly Portugese colonies) or in the east (from Welsh missionaries or other European settlers) Christianity is a very popular religion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_India#State_Populations

Signature space available for rent.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:52:48 PM

No, cause I'm no member of the church.

But here in Germany we even have a Church Tax. So if you are in the church you automatically pay a ~3,5% Tax to the church every month: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchensteuer_%28Deutschland%29

Maybe that's why we have so many Unchurched here  Wink

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:54:01 PM

No, cause I'm no member of the church.

But here in Germany we even have a Church Tax. So if you are in the church you automatically pay a ~3,5% Tax to the church every month: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchensteuer_%28Deutschland%29

Maybe that's why we have so many Unchurched here  Wink

But Akka, don't you see, the church can only be funded through taxation.

What?  Donations?!  Impossible...

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 12:03:55 AM

Depends where in India. In the west (formerly Portugese colonies) or in the east (from Welsh missionaries or other European settlers) Christianity is a very popular religion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_India#State_Populations

Thanks for the clarification malevoent.  I didn't research which part of the world is home to each religion, I just thought India would be a safe bet.  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: