Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 05:55:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you using any Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to protect your HW?  (Read 2422 times)
Matumaru (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:32:42 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 08:25:57 AM by Matumaru

That is the question. I'm thinking about purchase a UPS to protect my babies this winter against power surges/spikes, drops, and small outages.

IMC the factors are:

- In the place where I live there is a hard winter, with electrical storms.
- People are turning their AC's and electrical heaters.
- Doing a small test last year reported AC fluctuations between 210-235V.

In combination this causes often the lights flick or have small outages (30secs as much).

Taking in consideration that, I'm concerned about my HW to suffer any damage or just shorten its life.

I would like to know is you are using one, or consider it would be recommended. In that case which model with a good quality/price?

Any opinion will be welcome.
winner999

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 02:48:39 PM

If you have problems with power supply you should buy UPS.
davewr2013

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Bitcoin For All

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:30:25 PM

Get a UPS.

There are two types though....

Some have full time AC filtering -- which will protect against spiking -- some simply have battery generated "AC" power -- more like a square wave than a sine wave.

For example the APC ES Series ES 350 ES500 etc. did not have the AC five pole Filter

The APC smart series does have that filter -- etc.

Whatever you get look for the AC filtering and protection.

Give me this day my daily Bitcoin...
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 05:30:25 PM

I run absolutely everything through UPS's - I have to. My electricity supply is dicky at the best of times cos I live in a remote location in the back of beyond. Power surges & brown outs are common where I am, so they're a must.

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
Zelek Uther

Activity: 700
Merit: 504

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:48:56 PM

There's some terminology to learn, ie know the difference between "line-interactive" and "online". (see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply)

IMHO "online" is the only way to properly protect equipment, because "line-interactive" has a reaction time before it deals with surges.

I've gone for a good quality online UPS with the minimum amount of battery backup time: my UPS can go for only 6 minutes under the maximum power draw. I figure I don't need the capacity (and expense) of longer battery life, I'm mostly concerned with protecting my gear. 

Note: my UPS is currently still in the box, because my quiet rack cabinet hasn't arrived yet.

Run a Bitcoin node, support the network.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 08:47:53 AM

My miners run off an old Compaq 1000VA unit (got it as a refurbished unit).  My other IT equipment (router, NAS, switch) run off a small, cheap CyberPower UPS (replaces a small, cheap Liebert that leaked it's magic smoke).
Samir_H

Activity: 83

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 12:51:21 PM

Are you using any Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to protectect your HW?

No because I don't have problem with electricity and last winter I had a lot of GPU rigs and who knows how much it would cost to buy good UPS for all of them.

How much wattage you have to cover?
And as davewr2013 said if you decide to buy go for quality protection.
Matumaru (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 02:36:12 PM

Get a UPS.
Some have full time AC filtering -- which will protect against spiking -- some simply have battery generated "AC" power -- more like a square wave than a sine wave.
For example the APC ES Series ES 350 ES500 etc. did not have the AC five pole Filter

There's some terminology to learn, ie know the difference between "line-interactive" and "online". (see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply)

IMHO "online" is the only way to properly protect equipment, because "line-interactive" has a reaction time before it deals with surges.

This is the kind of knowledge to approach the dependant on the Electronic/Computer shop.

I´ll keep this thread updated with my picks on UPS features and models.

Thanks!
bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 02:57:18 PM

Get a UPS.

This is the kind of knowledge to approach the dependant on the Electronic/Computer shop.

I´ll keep this thread updated with my picks on UPS features and models.

Thanks!
Personally I am a fan of the 159.99 900w Cyberpower on amazon... but only powers a jupiter for 6min.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:26:08 PM

For a cheap UPS the CyberPower units are fine.  Fancy LCD display, and seem pretty reliable.
vesperwillow

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:50:38 PM

I've used a multitude of the CyberPower and APC units. Both have seen the same issues with AC flux, surges, brownouts, etc, and both have supported equal loads. There isn't an immediate difference between them for most folks. Businesses will often prefer APC for its commercial warranty, and it's one of the older brands so folks are more familiar.

Personally, I buy the CypberPower 1500 unit (~150USD on amazon) whenever I can, sometimes it drops to $120USD on Amazon. I use them on everything I own which I consider valuable.

Run time isn't as important to me as the protection, but it is nice to have.

Tayc34

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:31:53 PM

Can anyone suggest some of the best UPSs. Each of my rigs will consume 1300 watts, so I figure I will need to get a UPS for each. I'm not rich, but I'm willing to spend what it takes to get the best. Thanks.
vesperwillow

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:49:36 PM

Can anyone suggest some of the best UPSs. Each of my rigs will consume 1300 watts, so I figure I will need to get a UPS for each. I'm not rich, but I'm willing to spend what it takes to get the best. Thanks.

"Best" is subjective. Best bang for your buck is the CyberPower unit on Amazon. If you want to pay almost twice as much for a different brand, APC.

Don't expect them to remain on battery for more than a minute though if you're looking for off-mains power.

davewr2013

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Bitcoin For All

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:50:34 PM

The "best" UPS? Wish I knew...

http://www.upsforless.ca/

Just dig around and look for capacity and prices.

Unless you want to give a full specification of what you want nobody technical with any sense would give much more than an off the cuff recommendation.

Edit: Double the power drawn to get any staying power -- but that sure move up the price point.... which is why I gave the link I gave.

Give me this day my daily Bitcoin...
Matumaru (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:45:43 PM

Indeed CyberPower is a good one in relation to Price/Features.

I was looking also to a Spanish brand "Salicru" (I'm from Spain) and they look really nice:
http://catalogo.salicru.com/en-domestic/ups/sps-soho

The point is not to have the "BEST" but to have a reliable protection for the investment on mining hardware.

So far I think that the most interesting feature about protection should be the elapsed time to react, below 10ms, and the power variance allowed, below +-10%.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: