Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:12:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you feel when the media lauds the U.S. military servicemen/police  (Read 1197 times)
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:17:06 AM

because i sure know it's not a popular thing to roll your eyes when you hear it, but as an american who is aware of our hegemony/military dominance throughout the world... it makes me roll my eyes inside.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:24:06 AM

I no longer pay much attention to popular media, but when I did, I certainly had to grind my teeth every time they made an attempt to make me think something was this way or that way.  I hate it when news outlets do this; the job of the media is not to cultivate ideologies, it's to report happenings, and yet we can't seem to get any major news outlet to stop doing this, which I presume is due to most of us not realizing it's occurring.  For example, nobody needs to know whether the news is "shocking", "disturbing" or "controversial"; if it was, I would know it, I don't need to be told what to feel on it.

beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:36:37 AM

I no longer pay much attention to popular media, but when I did, I certainly had to grind my teeth every time they made an attempt to make me think something was this way or that way.  I hate it when news outlets do this; the job of the media is not to cultivate ideologies, it's to report happenings, and yet we can't seem to get any major news outlet to stop doing this, which I presume is due to most of us not realizing it's occurring.  For example, nobody needs to know whether the news is "shocking", "disturbing" or "controversial"; if it was, I would know it, I don't need to be told what to feel on it.

the problem is that reporting the news doesn't make money. controversy does. i also don't tune into the news, since it's just spoon-fed shit. it took me a realize how bad it is.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 12:05:16 PM

I've stopped caring what people think of my opinions of them, all I know is as long as I'm being hated on by these people I know I must be doing something right, there's a culture of glorifying the military in the UK in particular and even my dad realises every time I see it it's going to set me off lol but this is why I hardly watch the news anymore, stick to written articles and you can look at it without having it flung into your face.

Oh I also find watching Jon Stewart is a great way to unwind and laugh at the media stupidity out there, especially when they get caught out completely and try to deny everything.
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:15:59 PM

i had to cancel my cable tv subscription, and i don't really miss it save for watching some live sports.

time warner was charging me $110 a month for tv + internet, which is a ludicrous price to pay for what you get. i really hate being forced to pay for channels that i would never watch.

i made the decision to stop because of the news channels as well. i started watching CNN in 2010ish, and gradually began to get sick of the bullshit on that network. instead of reporting the news, all they do is send out a correspondent to tell me what obama had for breakfast, and then they have a retard like piers morgan interview people with a populist mindset.. ugh, that shit is frustrating.
snakebit

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:24:43 PM

It is my opinion that about 99% of the BS that the media sells, and most Americans let themselves get caught up in, is irrelevant distraction from the things that actually matter.

What disturbs me is that more often than not it works; even on people I would consider intelligent enough to know better.

I cannot stand any of the mass media, because it is clearly tailored for an audience of idiots.
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:27:32 PM

It is my opinion that about 99% of the BS that the media sells, and most Americans let themselves get caught up in, is irrelevant distraction from the things that actually matter.

What disturbs me is that more often than not it works; even on people I would consider intelligent enough to know better.

I cannot stand any of the mass media, because it is clearly tailored for an audience of idiots.

yeah the media is the bread and ciruses of our time. not just news, but reality tv and even social networking. the average person, at least in america, is probably more interested in becoming famous of reading their friend's facebook feed than what is "actually" going on in the world. meanwhile, conservative politicians continue to promote ignorance/defunding education, to make matters even worse.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:32:54 PM

It makes me want to throw up.

Once at Seaworld everyone was supposed to stand up for the US military present but I sat my ass down. I'm pretty sure I was the only one. (I would have stood up on the threat of physical violence but that never came).

That's sad to think about; I wonder how many of them were aware of what the US military is accomplishing and still decided to stand up.  I can forgive the person who doesn't know, but someone who is aware and still decided to stand says a lot.

mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:16:14 PM

i had to cancel my cable tv subscription, and i don't really miss it save for watching some live sports.

time warner was charging me $110 a month for tv + internet, which is a ludicrous price to pay for what you get. i really hate being forced to pay for channels that i would never watch.

i made the decision to stop because of the news channels as well. i started watching CNN in 2010ish, and gradually began to get sick of the bullshit on that network. instead of reporting the news, all they do is send out a correspondent to tell me what obama had for breakfast, and then they have a retard like piers morgan interview people with a populist mindset.. ugh, that shit is frustrating.

That is way too much. But good thing "google fiber" is on its way. Too bad though, its in only part of certain states due to regulations in each state.
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:19:17 PM

That is way too much. But good thing "google fiber" is on its way. Too bad though, its in only part of certain states due to regulations in each state.

i don't know how much of a chance google has when it's facing a very very big oligopoly. google is big, and bigger than each of the individual ISPs, but they are going up against a bunch of them... and not to mention the fact that cox, time warner, att, comcast, et al seem to have much rosier relationships with politicians than google..
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 10:31:33 PM

because i sure know it's not a popular thing to roll your eyes when you hear it, but as an american who is aware of our hegemony/military dominance throughout the world... it makes me roll my eyes inside.

I often times walk out of the room, it's creepy to hear.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 07:03:03 AM

Wake me up when the media lauds the heroes who died defending Bengazi.
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:16:48 AM

funny that i ran across this very topic on reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueReddit/comments/1qb39p/soldier_worship_blinds_us_to_the_grim_reality_of/cdb3g5h
hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:53:32 AM

That was a great first comment.  Very well articulated.  It is time to stop glorifying war and stop believing the myths we are told.

We are less free now than we were 100 years ago.  We have more stuff, that is true, but our freedom is ebbing away...

More military = less freedom.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:08:48 PM

Today's media works/reports on the money of Capitalists  Cool Whosoever gives them more moolah, their news stories get bent towards them. As a matter of fact, we should never blindly believe what we see on TV on read in newspapers.
Capitalists release only those news that can drive more & more profits to them. C'MON HUMANS TIME TO EVOLVE !

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:23:09 PM

another thing that sickens me: every time i see an exxon mobil commercial on one of those cable news networks. all it does is remind me that the "source" of my news is heavily influenced by big corporate players... people who hire a charismatic guy in a suit to tell me how his multibillion dollar company is such a great helper of society.

i'm glad i don't watch cable news anymore.
snakebit

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:29:40 AM

yeah the media is the bread and ciruses of our time. not just news, but reality tv and even social networking. the average person, at least in america, is probably more interested in becoming famous of reading their friend's facebook feed than what is "actually" going on in the world. meanwhile, conservative politicians continue to promote ignorance/defunding education, to make matters even worse.

I would also include professional sports as an aspect of the "circuses" ala Gladiators in ancient Rome. But yes, I couldn't agree with you more. Bread (SNAP/EBT cards) and circuses (Celebrity culture). The U.S. is in a permanent state of decline, as all empires go through.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: